Sprut8 worth the upgrade?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sprut8 worth the upgrade?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Sprut8 worth the upgrade?

I'm using 7, latest build. I do complicated, very small precision parts. I deal with Sprut crashing a lot. I get very tired of this. Has anybody upgraded to Sprut8? Does it show ANY signs of increased stability? Any real advantages?
    Thanks!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Sprut8 worth the upgrade?

I use sprutcam 8 and I have great luck with it. I have the occasional crash, but not very often, usually only if I click around while it's calculating toolpaths.

I've done some pretty in-depth toolpath stuff with it as well. I don't think you can go wrong with v8. I'm really glad I never had to mess around with 7. I probably wouldn't have chucked it thru the window if I had that many problems with it.

Wade

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, that's good to hear. And I should note, that it doesn't crash per se, but things stop working right, and I need to exit and open it again. Not generating tool paths, generating wrong tool paths, faces disappearing in simulation.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'll admit i've had that occasionally, but not very often. Most often my computer needs a reboot because it's using too much memory and I haven't rebooted it forever.

Wade

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, I ordered it. Let's see if it works better!

Downloads
    Uploads

Don't know what the cost of upgrade is and how much difference there is in the 2 versions.
    The software does work well if as noted above you behave while you use it. "as you know"
    As for precision I wish I had more experience with other programs to know, see or understand where the problem or problems could be.
    I even wonder what limits my cad models have that I don't yet understand when they are exported and imported.
    And I can only say this much for other readers. imho my tormach mill is 1000 lb paper weight without good cad and cam software.
    md

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Sprut8 worth the upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by tbaker2500 View Post
    Well, I ordered it. Let's see if it works better!
    I've been using Sprut7 for the last couple of years and I have noticeably less hair now than when I bought it. Your experiences sound very similar to mine. I would be VERY interested to hear how the two versions compare.
    Step

Downloads
    Uploads

It's on the way. $750 for the upgrade, new dongle. I will definitely keep you up to date.

Downloads
    Uploads

It's on the way. $750 for the upgrade, new dongle. I will definitely keep you up to date.
    I'm pretty sure that you can leave SC7 installed and install SC8 at the same time. At least that's the way my install of both works. It can be nice to have both available until you get up to speed with SC8.

Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

I talked to Eric at Tormach last week and he said that SC 9 was coming out very soon so their would be no more updates to SC8.
    I wonder if you would be able to upgrade to SC9 for free.
    CR

Downloads
    Uploads

:-) Oh joy...
    Then again, SC8 had so many problems when it first came out, I've been reluctant to upgrade until now, when it seems stable enough.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    I talked to Eric at Tormach last week and he said that SC 9 was coming out very soon so their would be no more updates to SC8.
    I wonder if you would be able to upgrade to SC9 for free.
    CR
    Does anyone know if that would be the case? I too have SC7, and If I go with upgrade to SC8, when SC9 is coming out will it be free upgrade? Right now it would be 50% cost to go SC7 to SC8, if I go from SC7 to SC9 its 75% cost

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gaaah. I purchased the SC8 upgrade about a month ago, but have yet to get it working. Some issue with the new dongle. SC7 still works (and crashes occasionally) so I'm not dead in the water, but I'm concerned about support for my CAM getting dropped. Now to hear that SC8 may be orphaned in favor of SC9, I wonder what (and how costly) my upgrade path will be.
    -Mark

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Wirecutter View Post
    Gaaah. I purchased the SC8 upgrade about a month ago, but have yet to get it working. Some issue with the new dongle. SC7 still works (and crashes occasionally) so I'm not dead in the water, but I'm concerned about support for my CAM getting dropped. Now to hear that SC8 may be orphaned in favor of SC9, I wonder what (and how costly) my upgrade path will be.
    -Mark
    We just went and upgraded to SC8 from SC7, the sales guys said that though SC9 is out, and they will have for USA guys soon, that they can't guarantee that it would be free upgrade but at most would be about $150 probably to cover the cost of the new dongle.

What it means is that if you purchased SC8 recently you can get SC9 almost free because of the close release date, but they still charge you for dongle is what im thinking.

So I say jump on SC9 right away, of course talk to your sales guy first to confirm that you do not need to pay too much, because after X amount of months you would have to pay again the 50% and that would suck to do so after upgrading SC8 only 1 or 2 months, I would guess they should have a 3 or 6 month grace period? IMO

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm using 7, latest build. I do complicated, very small precision parts. I deal with Sprut crashing a lot. I get very tired of this. Has anybody upgraded to Sprut8? Does it show ANY signs of increased stability? Any real advantages?
    Thanks!
    the big difference is SC7 has memory issues, and because its 32bit its limited on memory, I had large model files that I would put into SC7 and it would start to climb in memory to 1GB if not more and then it would have issues, these were when calc toolpath or simulating.

So since SC8 is 64bit thats a huge benefit. You do not need to do complex things to run into the memory issue, if you use fixtures and vises and detailed model you will run into the RAM issue in SC7 quick.

Downloads
    Uploads

What Eric told me today, was that when they release SC9 to us, since I just purchased 8, it will be the same cost to go 7-8-9 as it will be to go 7-9.
    I bought the upgrade, but still can't get the dongle working. Working with Eric on that.

Downloads
    Uploads

What Eric told me today, was that when they release SC9 to us, since I just purchased 8, it will be the same cost to go 7-8-9 as it will be to go 7-9.
    I bought the upgrade, but still can't get the dongle working. Working with Eric on that.
    I don't know, did u buy software from tormach or from sprutcam america , I did from the site, so upgrades might be different depending what you bought and how

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Tormach. Own a 1100.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am also thinking about upgrading from SC7. There are a number of issues with SC7 that I know how to work around (stupid UI errors on some of the controls, for example). I haven't had too many crashing problems. Has anyone here played with SC9?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kevinro View Post
    I am also thinking about upgrading from SC7. There are a number of issues with SC7 that I know how to work around (stupid UI errors on some of the controls, for example). I haven't had too many crashing problems. Has anyone here played with SC9?
    if you purchased SC standalone as I would call it, not with the Tormach cnc machine, from my understanding its best to jump on SC8, and they will charge small fee when SC9 comes out, since its already, but they have not done there OEM stuff

now if you got it with tormach, then the above does not apply, as far as the pricing and what not. But I too jumped on 8, because 8 and 9 are much better, esp since being 64bit! and they changed some graphics stuff so hope that has improved a lot.

As far as SC9, there is a different thread and there is a guy who already got it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast