Transfering Sprutcam operations

Thread: Transfering Sprutcam operations

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Transfering Sprutcam operations

I am trying to figure out how to transfer a group of operations to a new file in Sprut 7.

I have a part with all the ops, and I want to change the hole size on one of the holes.
    It would sure make life easier to be able to transfer all the ops to the new file and not have to create them all again.
    I can save them individually and bring them back into the new file with save to default parameters nad load from default parameters, but I wonder if there is a way to do it as a group?

thanks for any insight on this

Similar Threads:
    mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Transfering Sprutcam operations

Can't you just do a "Save As", create a new STC file name and then edit the drill size (or hole size if helical milling) of the hole(s) that you want to change?

If the CAD source part has changed, I've often been able to do a "Save As" on the STC file, delete the original model, and then import the new model. The ops then need to be modified to update tool paths or op parameters but this can be very fast and easy if the changes were minor, like changing the diameter of a single hole while leaving the rest of the part untouched. However, the Save As-Delete-Re-import dance is really only necessary if the hole location has changed or if you are anal (like me), about the model accurately representing the machined part.

Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

Your right, those hole diameters can be edited in properties, didnt think of that??!

I have done the save as and imported the new drawing, sometimes I cant get this to work, and sometimes it doesnt. I change the z zero of the old part so that it is below the new one, then import the new one and set my z back to zero (transform function), then delete the old part.

I would like to save the ops as a group in default parameters then they would all be there to load for the new part.
    If this could be done it would eliminate possible errors setting the ops up again, to say nothing of the time involved at least in my case.

I still havent gotten a handle on what Spruts definition of "Group" really is??

thanks for your input Mike

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

You can save a group of operations like drill operations for example
    drill 8-32 tap "group"

drill spot
    drill size
    drill clear
    drill tap
    After you create each operation in the group and set all the operations they can be saved as a group or by each!
    I use this method a lot look at the many threads I post!
    There are some bugs in the data when this is done! I found that all the speeds get corrupted into a 0.??? value that will crash mach3 but easy to remember and fix.
    And a couple others parameters also. I found ways to work around em or check and set by habit anyway.
    Not always the best way I like saving huge empty templates and load part into them and then delete what I don't need

the most reliable way is stated above!
    save the whole set of operations as another file without any model or part data, just the operation set or sets.
    then load model and locate zero and go about selecting surfaces or entities for mill ops.
    Remember to save as right after model / part is loaded so you always have a empty template.
    easy to setup complex stuff and get it going in no time
    md

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    You can save a group of operations like drill operations for example
    drill 8-32 tap "group"

drill spot
    drill size
    drill clear
    drill tap
    After you create each operation in the group and set all the operations they can be saved as a group or by each!

md
    I can save the individual ops and that works fine (save as default parameters). I need to know what command it uses to save all the ops as a group if it can be done? Or maybe set all of them in a Group and save the group?

I am always changing the drawings and this would be a real time saver if I could save all the ops for a new imported file.

thanks for your input.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

I can create a Group then drag and drop the operations into it, then save it as "export operation", then re-import it and the ops seem to be there. Is this the correct way to save a goup?

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    I can create a Group then drag and drop the operations into it, then save it as "export operation", then re-import it and the ops seem to be there. Is this the correct way to save a goup?
    Yes.
    be carful and check all parameters carefully. I don't always get back what I saved when exporting groups
    md

Downloads
    Uploads

I will do that and thanks for your help!

According to the Sprut propaganda its an easy program to learn, that makes this fellow doubt his intelligence as it hasnt been so easy for me??!

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes.
    be carful and check all parameters carefully. I don't always get back what I saved when exporting groups
    md
    Yes, I tried saving the ops as a group, the waterline ops worked fine and the parameters were correct after reloading them. The drilling ops parameters were correct but they wouldnt work. I copied and pasted them back into the program and deleted them out of the group and they would work again.

I may be doing something wrong or there is a bug in the group feature??....
    It sure would save me a lot of time if I can get it to work correctly.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

update:
    I could not get the Group function to work correctly.

I saved using the export function and imorted using the import function and the files appeared to be correct but they wouldnt all run, the waterline did run but the hole ops did not.

saving as individual ops seems to work fine- "save as default parameters"

At least I learned a bit more about "Group"

The forum appears to a bit corrupted again, I had to delete history to get this one to go thru.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    update:
    I could not get the Group function to work correctly.

I saved using the export function and imorted using the import function and the files appeared to be correct but they wouldnt all run, the waterline did run but the hole ops did not.

saving as individual ops seems to work fine- "save as default parameters"

At least I learned a bit more about "Group"

The forum appears to a bit corrupted again, I had to delete history to get this one to go thru.
    Saving the group the same way as "save default parameters" you use in this note.
    Still the feeds are not correct like you mentioned drilling feed was set to some crazy 0.?? and will cause mach3 to crash even.
    its another bug, one of many complex programs have

The best way and most reliable is as your doing now. save each operation as a named "default parameters" that you can load one at a time and build a group.
    Or I save a file complete with fixtures, Ucs and basic operations all preset "empty". called defaultfixtureUCS1 and load it and then save as a new name of part im working on.
    I then delete out what I don't need load part model and locate 0.
    and start setting job assignments. very fast if you get the hang of it.
    I have a few different defaults that include different combos of fixtures, ucs and basic operations.
    md

md

Downloads
    Uploads

Saving the group the same way as "save default parameters" you use in this note.
    Still the feeds are not correct like you mentioned drilling feed was set to some crazy 0.?? and will cause mach3 to crash even.
    its another bug, one of many complex programs have

The best way and most reliable is as your doing now. save each operation as a named "default parameters" that you can load one at a time and build a group.
    Or I save a file complete with fixtures, Ucs and basic operations all preset "empty". called defaultfixtureUCS1 and load it and then save as a new name of part im working on.
    I then delete out what I don't need load part model and locate 0.
    and start setting job assignments. very fast if you get the hang of it.
    I have a few different defaults that include different combos of fixtures, ucs and basic operations.
    md

md
    I will just use the individual ops as that works......

thanks

mike sr