Looking for clamp fixture models

Thread: Looking for clamp fixture models

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Looking for clamp fixture models

HI all
    I'm looking for a set of accurate standard 5/8 t slot clamp fixture iges files to include in my cam models
    Anyone have them or know where to download them.
    If not I can draw my own, just not wanting to repeat work I would bet others have done many times.
    I have come up with great ways to use of fixtures in all my models and enjoy the added function of fixture tool path avoidance and checking.
    sprut is not easy to drive but man under the hood you have power!
    md

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Looking for clamp fixture models

Found what I needed !
    Carr Lane has them all and a few thousand more then I will ever use I think!
    my fixture plate models and their fixture nuts, studs and clamps all positioned in 1 configuration.
    I can then move around, delete vises, or put larger plates and different clamps and save the files as standards that I can choose from to start a new part.

Example of my models
    Looking for clamp fixture models-dualfixtures3-jpg

With a part located and operation created
    Looking for clamp fixture models-dualfixtures1-jpg

Learning to use some of this expensive bloat to make my life in front of the mill more fun.

Md

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice resource MD, thanks.
    Gerry

Currently using SC7 Build 1.6 Rev. 64105

Downloads
    Uploads

Little word of warning when using these in your cam models for all readers!

sprutcam will get real close to fixtures at times when it computes tool paths.
    In other words it might pay to have slightly oversized model fixtures for a margin of error when placed on table.

In motorcycle terms "he rides a WIDE bike on the race track "
    md

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    In other words it might pay to have slightly oversized model fixtures for a margin of error when placed on table.
    I don't like the idea of using oversized fixtures - at some point you'll probably loose track of what's going on. Just add stock!
    Step

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post
    I don't like the idea of using oversized fixtures - at some point you'll probably loose track of what's going on. Just add stock!
    Step
    I Agree!
    Accuracy in my cam models is everything. I decided to learn and setup these cam models complete, no shortcuts.
    I try to include everything in the machine envelope and each day add more detail and default setups for tools, fixtures or operations.

If your using vise or special fixtures and or screws mounted in restricted areas its all good.
    My example using screws to mount material in unrestricted areas. sprut will run tool paths very close to those screws.
    I was thinking if those socket heads varied much in size the mill will hit them, unless your carful.
    Adding stock wont fix this problem most the time. Just being aware of how exact they are will force you to set good clearance and allow you to see problems fast.

Anyway I agree its better to be accurate with all fixtures.

Here is example of why. using some operations like 2d contour sprut does not account for fixtures screws shown near in tool path.
    Having accurate models allow checking !
    Looking for clamp fixture models-sprutclosetoolclearence-jpg

And Example of how sprut will run tool paths "green" very very close to screw mounting fixtures "red"
    Looking for clamp fixture models-sprutclosetoolclearencee2-jpg
    md

Last edited by mountaindew; 04-19-2014 at 04:48 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Adding stock wont fix this problem most the time.
    Unless I'm completely misunderstanding what you're attempting to do; adding stock will fix this (or at least is does in Sprut 7). Adding 1/16 stock to the screws will keep the tool 1/16 away from the fixtures - even when chamfering. The fixtures must however be correctly set up as fixture items for the operation.
    Quote from the Sprut 8 documentation:
    Although the restricting model is not machined, there can be moves between work passes performed along it, and the rough operations perform material removal located outside the restricted model. Therefore a guaranteed gap between the tool and the real restricting objects should be considered either directly in the geometrical model of the restricting objects, or by the additional stock value.
    Just beware of the following (again my experience is with Sprut 7, Sprut 8 may be different):
    Fixtures are ignored for rapid moves - I have the parts to prove it ;(
    When jumping over a fixture the height of the fixture is not considered - only the clearance height set in the operation preferences.
    Only the tool is evaluated and not the tool holder. Be careful with short end mills and tall fixtures.
    I use fixtures very rarely but they do work.
    Step

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Turbo,
    I had no idea it worked this way, I had not found that setting.
    I thought you were talking about stock around the part to be milled not the fixture itself.
    I have been locating the fixtures and including them very carefully in each operation.
    To be honest I could not figure out how to control how close it would get to the fixtures "in this case screws"

Thanks for the insight, this should help me control tool paths around fixtures with more confidence as to clearance.

edited post! This was the exact setting I needed to understand and change so the tools will keep that clearance .
    And it modifies only that 1 fixture if needed in only 1 operation if needed, or for all operations if needed.
    powerful but could be confusing if you did not understand how all this works together or not.

I don't see many examples of people using fixtures either!

After getting an idea of how the object model works. Then how to navigate and edit the model in all the list boxes and the simulation windows. "confusing at times"
    Then I worked on how to create groups of objects in the model like parts, fixtures, stock, 2d geometry.
    Also worked on methods to make life simple working with the data set in that model of material, part and fixtures.
    Using things like sew faces and join edges before anything else is done has removed so much of the strange things that sprut will do.
    Then I create different default models with everything I need in them and save to disk. One of those files for example has a vise, fixture plate and screws all located and ready. All I do then is load part design into model window and set g54 and the part is in position on the vise in center of the plate ready to move screws around to hold it during operations.
    I know this is more work to do and master but the software does a good job of at least showing a problem if you look close enough
    And because I have enough experience to be dangerous this has helped me avoid problems big time
    Anyway I enjoy figuring out the software and how to use it best for me and a I'm good Russian, I don't do nothing without a plan!
    md

ps :Thanks again for the help turbo, your experience is awesome and quickly explains the idea.
    unlike the dribble I post above

Last edited by mountaindew; 04-20-2014 at 12:30 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Have you tried Grab Cad. Here is the link.https://grabcad.com