Am I the Only One Confused by Thread Milling?

Thread: Am I the Only One Confused by Thread Milling?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Am I the Only One Confused by Thread Milling?

Time for a reality check, please. I've been trying to set up a thread milling project, re-watching Eric's video tutorial, poring over the Sprut instructions, and it just wasn't coming together.

Luckily, Mcmaster-Carr provides realistic CAD files of most of their threaded doo-dads. I downloaded the file for a 3/4-14 NPT coupler and fiddled with my project until the machining result approximated the thread form in the CAD file.

I suspect that my problem is a semantic one. Either something is being garbled in translation from Russian, or my comprehension is just off. The Sprut7 help file states:

"The <Thread depth> defines the distance between the inner and outer diameters of the thread. It works differently for the inner and outer threads. If hole is machined (inner thread), then the diameter that is defined in the job assignment defines the inner diameter of the thread. The outer diameter is calculated as the sum of the inner diameter and the thread depth. If the boss is machined (outer thread) then the diameter that is defined in the job assignment defines the outer diameter of the thread. The inner diameter of the thread is calculated as the difference between the outer diameter and the thread depth. For the outer thread the <Thread depth> defines also the safe distance, that is used to go around the boss if necessary."

By my reading of these instructions, for an internal thread the hole diameter specified in the job assignment should be the minor diameter, i.e., the crest diameter of the internal thread. In fact, the hole diameter specified in the job assignment has to be the ROOT diameter of the internal thread to give the proper thread form in the machining result.

For an external thread, it works as I would expect it to from reading the instructions, i.e., the diameter specified in the job assignment is the OD of the boss to be threaded.

Is this consistent with others' experience, or have I stepped thru the looking glass here?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry, I have no experience with thread milling yet but am going to have to figure it out for a future project, looking forward to following this post.
    I have been doing some reading and web searching in preparation.
    And I need to decide on and buy a tool or three.

Have you checked out the thread-milling video on this sight?
    http://www.download.sprut.co.uk/Supp...p?showforum=23

You might have to register to the forum to see that particular video

Gerry

Currently using SC7 Build 1.6 Rev. 64105

Downloads
    Uploads

I think you have followed Alice.

The explanation you quoted uses a lot of words to say that when you cut an external thread you start with a diameter that is the same as the major diameter of the thread and cut in to the minor diameter of the thread. For in internal thread you need a hole with a diameter the same as the minor diameter of the thread and cut out to the major diameter. The depth of cut in each case, measured on the diameter is twice the thread depth. (And I used almost as many words.)

Of course the boss diameter can be a little less than the theoretical major diameter because a small flat is permissible on the crest of the thread. Similarly the hole diameter can be slightly larger than the minor diameter because a small flat is permissble. Actually if you are tapping, the tap drill size is quite a bit larger than the minor diameter because the torque requirements are too much to cut an absolutely full form thread.

If you are starting with a slightly undersize boss, or oversize hole the depth of cut is less than the theoretical thread depth.

An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Am I the Only One Confused by Thread Milling?

I know that this is a very old thread however I have a simple question.

In Sprutcam 8 in the thread milling strategy tab it asks for the "Thread Depth". Well as you can read below, the manual is a bit confusing and also I commend the people replying for their attempts to clarify however I still am not seeing what the value should be for my particular application. So here is my simple question:

I want to thread mill a 1/4-20 internal thread with a multi point thread mill that is .190 in diameter. The hole I am picking in my model is modeled at .25 diameter. I have drilled the hole with a #7 drill (.201").

What is the input value I should put into the "Thread Depth" data input?

Thanks for your assistance in advance

Downloads
    Uploads

I found a few ways to get results .
    Going by your description I don't think you need to change anything "sprut wont use thread depth value in this case"
    It will use the stock left from drilling a 0.201 hole and thread to the 0.25 diameter.
    Just need to select hole add to job assignment and set top and bottom levels.

"good idea to study this and use established methods of calculating values for hole diameters based on tool used"
    ISO metric screw thread sizes and tolerances - Ames

Hope this helps
    md

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, talked to Tormach and they don't know what the thread depth value really does.They have tried many value and doesn't seem to make any impact.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LRF View Post
    Thanks, talked to Tormach and they don't know what the thread depth value really does.They have tried many value and doesn't seem to make any impact.
    It does work also!
    Parts of sprutcam are for 2d operations an example dxf files have lines all drawn on one plane!
    Many 2d operations only work or function correctly on 2d lines "not 3d models"
    It can be confusing to separate the two types of operations because they are all part of same function, in this case thread milling!
    If sprutcam has is a circle drawn and some sort of stock defined some of these operations and settings can be used to thread mill or create pockets, drill holes, whatever ........in flat dxf type files and no 3d model is required.
    I hope this does not confuse you or others because its hard to separate the types and some work on both!
    md