Fanuc spindle motor with ACI VFD - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fanuc spindle motor with ACI VFD

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Fanuc spindle motor with ACI VFD

The DC servo motors are not interesting now. Maybe I can play later with. Here in Hungary there is one company who produce DC motor drivers. Check it on CNCdrive - motion controls
    The ISTECH is one of quality Chinese product. I will buy one and try the spindle motor. I have a long time a connection with them but I never try their VFD becouse of the price.(jut a little higher then other ordinary VFD) End of next week I will order one Istech for my Fanuc. When you hook up your spindle motor, please refer me about your experience.

Regards

Downloads
    Uploads

The products on CNCdrive look good ! If I needed DC drives I would be interested in them.

I am going to order all of the parts for my lathe today. I expect that the parts will be here by mid-week, it will take a few days to mount and connect everything, so I think in about one week I will know how the VFD is working.

I will be posting my experience in this thread http://www.cnczone.com/forums/hardin...-software.html

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

The level of torque is related to the hp at a particular speed. A motor that hits 5hp at 2000rpm has twice the torque of one that hits 5hp at 4000rpm.

This is not a matter of opinion. It's basic math. See for yourself with this handy online torque calculator:

HORSEPOWER TO TORQUE CALCULATOR

You input the HP and speed and it tells you how much torque that equates to.

To achieve max torque at low speed, run a motor at full power and use a gear reduction to reduce the speed to the level you need. If you reduce speed using your VFD, the torque will remain IDENTICLE because you will half the HP when you half the speed. Again, see for yourself on the online calc. But, if you keep the HP constant and reduce speed with a gear reduction, halving the speed doubles the torque. This is why modern mills and lathes still use gear reductions in the age of VFDs.

If your motor is running at full power and there isn't enough torque when you reduce the speed to the required level with a gear reduction, buy a more powerful motor.

Downloads
    Uploads

With the correct controller in this case the motor can develop nearly constant torque from 0 RPM up to its base speed or in this case up to about 4500 rpm based on the nameplate data because the HP (KW) goes up as the RPM increases. It is rated a bit different than I have seen before where it is rated at 7.5 KW at 1500 RPM and 11 KW at 4500 RPM which would indicate that the torque curve is very flat throughout its speed range.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    With the correct controller in this case the motor can develop nearly constant torque from 0 RPM up to its base speed or in this case up to about 4500 rpm based on the nameplate data because the HP (KW) goes up as the RPM increases. It is rated a bit different than I have seen before where it is rated at 7.5 KW at 1500 RPM and 11 KW at 4500 RPM which would indicate that the torque curve is very flat throughout its speed range.
    That isn't unusual. That's how motors work (if no gear reduction is used). Constant torque up to the base speed then constant hp while torque drops between the base speed and top speed unless the top speed is the base speed (in which case torque is constant from 1rpm all the way to the top speed). It's not a special feature on some VFDs.

Again, the only meaningful increase in torque is with a gear reduction.

What some VFDs can do (or claim to be able to) is increase power in response to feedback from the spindle under heavy load but this requires a closed loop set-up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12