Anyone seen this Huanyang VFD problem before? Buttons don't work

Thread: Anyone seen this Huanyang VFD problem before? Buttons don't work

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Anyone seen this Huanyang VFD problem before? Buttons don't work

I think I received a faulty VFD but before I waste time returning it, I thought I would ask if anyone has seen this issue and knows a quick fix?

Basically, it turns on, the fan comes on and the display starts flashing. I can adjust the frequency using the little pot but none of the buttons work. I.e. Nothing happens when you push them - as if they weren't connected to anything.

I made this fascinating oscar-worthy video of nothing happening when I push the buttons because the incoherent Chinese vendor couldn't seem to understand "buttons don't work". He then told me I would have to wait until after their festival before any help would be forthcoming:

The button panel unclips clips so I can see that it is indeed connected to the VFD with some kind of ribbon cable which seems to be glued in place.

Any ideas?

The manual I downloaded is too poorly translated to be of any actual use. I read something elsewhere about how the front panel will only work if it's not in "3-wire mode" or if it is in "3-wire mode" or something.... It sounded like some kind of setting to switch between external controls and the controls on the front of the VFD. The problem is that I don't know how to change any settings if the buttons on the front don't work....

I know somebody somewhere is already itching to tell me I should have bought a quality brand instead of Chinese junk. Believe me.... I know this already... but.... we are where we are.....

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Anyone seen this Huanyang VFD problem before? Buttons don't work

I may be wrong, but I don't think that's a Huanyang. The genuine Huanyang VFDs are not bad units. A cheaper clone maybe from ebay? The Huanyang that I have, the lower buttons aren't red and green. It says HY, not "Inverter" on the lower right panel, so the controls/functions settings may be different. I know some of the clones also have a single row of terminal connectors vs 2 on the Huanyang along with other differences.

Downloads
    Uploads

Post of a pic of the label on the side, or a model #?

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Did you buy this with Paypal and/or Ebay? If so you have recourse.
    I have a current manual and list of models if you post it.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by coherent View Post
    I may be wrong, but I don't think that's a Huanyang. The genuine Huanyang VFDs are not bad units. A cheaper clone maybe from ebay? The Huanyang that I have, the lower buttons aren't red and green. It says HY, not "Inverter" on the lower right panel, so the controls/functions settings may be different. I know some of the clones also have a single row of terminal connectors vs 2 on the Huanyang along with other differences.
    There are multiple models of Huanyang VFD and they all look a little different based on the version and size. Some come with the frequency pot, others don't. This is a 7.5kw unit from their "GT series". The input screw terminals are in a different order to the 2.2kw or the 5.5kw versions etc.

If there are clones, my bet is that they are all made in the same factory. I know the Chinese like to bootleg everything but, if you were going to go to the trouble of making a functional fake, wouldn't you copy a brand that was actually worth copying like Yaskawa? Why bother copying a worthless brand and selling the copy for the same price as the "original"? It's not as if the HY brand screams quality and confidence.... it's more of a fingers crossed and hope for the best type brand.

I don't know if this matters but the actual model number on the label is: GT- 7R5G - 2

The label has the Huanyang logo in the corner. Below the model number is says: Input - 1ph AC 220 + -.20% 50/60hz + 5%. Output 3ph 0-220v 7.5kw 30A 50-400hz

As for them being "not bad", I imagine that opinion largely depends on whether you receive a functional one or not. There are enough stories of people receiving broken units or having them break quickly to say with some certainty that their QC is unreliable. People buys these because they are cheap, not because they are good....

On the other hand, there are plenty of people using them without issues. They are cheap enough to overlook some of the obvious sloppy workmanship and poorly written instructions.... as long as it works....

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Did you buy this with Paypal and/or Ebay? If so you have recourse.
    I have a current manual and list of models if you post it.
    Al.
    I know this...

Sending stuff back and paying return shipping is just a hassle so it's at least worth asking to make sure it is actually broken vs me doing something wrong before I do it.

This is just one occasion where I need advice from someone who owns one of the HY vfds and probably someone who also has experience of wiring up remote controls or, someone who experienced the same problem and either fixed it or they can confirm that there is nothing to be done except asking for a refund.

Downloads
    Uploads

This is Huanyangs video on their GT series VFDs. It looks the same as mine. The video quality is what you would expect from them. It has a ridiculous computer translated robot voice and the selling points it lists are enough to make you want to spend time with a used car salesman. ...

There is a lot of "this chip is made by American company and is very expensive".

The one in the video comes on like mine except their buttons work and mine don't:

It has a tear down of the hardware but I am not sure there is anything to learn from watching a robot unscrew a bunch of PCBs while boasting about how expensive and big every chip is....

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Goemon View Post
    This is Huanyangs video on their GT series VFDs. It looks the same as mine. The video quality is what you would expect from them. It has a ridiculous computer translated robot voice and the selling points it lists are enough to make you want to spend time with a used car salesman. ...

There is a lot of "this chip is made by American company and is very expensive".

The one in the video comes on like mine except their buttons work and mine don't:

It has a tear down of the hardware but I am not sure there is anything to learn from watching a robot unscrew a bunch of PCBs while boasting about how expensive and big every chip is....
    You should not make fun about other peoples work unless you can do better, or know more about the subject you are looking at, which clearly you don't

So is your VFD this GT series, if not your VFD is very different

You must use a disconnect as well, you can not just plug it in with a plug, this can cause a spike and cause the problem you have just had

So did you remove the Key Pad, then replace it, this is the normal way to reset the key pad, after a bad plugin connection, there are some button combinations that can be tried as well

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    You should not make fun about other peoples work unless you can do better, or know more about the subject you are looking at, which clearly you don't

So is your VFD this GT series, if not your VFD is very different

You must use a disconnect as well, you can not just plug it in with a plug, this can cause a spike and cause the problem you have just had

So did you remove the Key Pad, then replace it, this is the normal way to reset the key pad, after a bad plugin connection, there are some button combinations that can be tried as well

The keypad ribbon is glued in place. I don't know if this is by accident or design. I already tried to remove it to make sure it was properly attached. It looks like someone caught the edge of the connector with a soldering iron so it's welded in place.

I will make fun of any product video I want when that product arrives broken. Unlike these guys, I test my products before sending them out to customers and believe in maintaining QC standards.

If I ever put out a customer video using a robot translator, please feel free to make fun of it as much as you like because I would deserve it. You have my permission to slap me across the face with a wet fish if I send you a product that doesn't work and then tell you to wait until "after the festival" for any resolution.

Downloads
    Uploads

After looking at the panel connector again, I am going to assume that this is the problem. Whoever assembled it broke the plastic connector and then instead of replacing it, they covered the hole with hot melt glue and didn't bother to check that their "fix" had worked.

It's my own fault. I can't say I wasn't warned about the risk with these cheap Chinese VFDs. I was hoping to get away with a cheap solution for a while but I guess..... like everything else I bought that is CNC related..... I will have to pony up for something made anywhere in the world except China. This one is going on the pile of crap to be returned, right next my Chinese ball screw that doesn't move and the Open Builds extrusions that bend out of shape with a stiff breeze.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone seen this Huanyang VFD problem before? Buttons don't work-img_4078-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

You mentioned a bad manual.
    Did you not receive this one?
    http://www.hy-electrical.com/BF/GT%2...s%20manual.PDF

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

The keypad ribbon is glued in place. I don't know if this is by accident or design. I already tried to remove it to make sure it was properly attached. It looks like someone caught the edge of the connector with a soldering iron so it's welded in place.

I will make fun of any product video I want when that product arrives broken. Unlike these guys, I test my products before sending them out to customers and believe in maintaining QC standards.

If I ever put out a customer video using a robot translator, please feel free to make fun of it as much as you like because I would deserve it. You have my permission to slap me across the face with a wet fish if I send you a product that doesn't work and then tell you to wait until "after the festival" for any resolution.

There are lots of them that are glued in place this is a normal practice by design, something wrong with your hearing if you think that is robotic, English is not there language so I think they did very well

They did not send you a broken VFD Drive, you messed it up when you power it up, it is the only way that this happens, and if they send you another one the same thing will happen, if you power it up the same way, they are not a house hold appliance that you just plug in, they also say this in there manual, but of course you can't read the manual

I can see that you are also using one of the House appliance Plugs which are not suitable for this type of connection, with all the post that everyone has done you are still having problems with under standing the basic wiring practices for something like this

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

After looking at the panel connector again, I am going to assume that this is the problem. Whoever assembled it broke the plastic connector and then instead of replacing it, they covered the hole with hot melt glue and didn't bother to check that their "fix" had worked.

It's my own fault. I can't say I wasn't warned about the risk with these cheap Chinese VFDs. I was hoping to get away with a cheap solution for a while but I guess..... like everything else I bought that is CNC related..... I will have to pony up for something made anywhere in the world except China. This one is going on the pile of crap to be returned, right next my Chinese ball screw that doesn't move and the Open Builds extrusions that bend out of shape with a stiff breeze.
    I have told you in many posts how important the wiring is of any VFD Drive you get, other that have had failures will tell you the same thing, there is most likely nothing wrong with you VFD Drive

You will find that most VFD Drives are made in China, it will make no difference

That is normal by design, what about the other end, it sometimes is glued in place too, the video I think showed them removing that plug, but may be on yours you can not, so this is when you have to use more than one button at a time to reset, reset being one of the buttons to hold down

Take a photo with the front cover of where all the wiring is connected

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    You mentioned a bad manual.
    Did you not receive this one?
    http://www.hy-electrical.com/BF/GT%2...s%20manual.PDF
    Yes that is the correct manual if he does have the GT series VFD Drive, it's a good manual, this VFD is a lot more complicated to setup than the regular Huanyang Vfd Drive

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    I have told you in many posts how important the wiring is of any VFD Drive you get, other that have had failures will tell you the same thing, there is most likely nothing wrong with you VFD Drive

You will find that most VFD Drives are made in China, it will make no difference

That is normal by design, what about the other end, it sometimes is glued in place too, the video I think showed them removing that plug, but may be on yours you can not, so this is when you have to use more than one button at a time to reset, reset being one of the buttons to hold down

Take a photo with the front cover of where all the wiring is connected
    I think you just make stuff up or you don't read the post properly...

The issue is not just that it is glued in place. It's that the connector is broken (as in cracked with parts missing) and this damaged connector (which does not work) is glued in place. If you think that is acceptable practice, I never want to buy anything from you. I already explained this...

The seller finally got back to me after sending the video to "the technical team at the factory" and they concur that it is a broken unit. They are sending a new one. If this unit powers up, the buttons are meant to work... Period. There is nothing wrong with my wiring.

If the issue was something I was doing wrong and if you were really the expert you think you are, surely you would have responded with an actual fix.... But you didn't because you don't know anything about this issue.

I simply asked if anyone here had seen this issue and knew a fix. Neither of those things apply to you....

Anyway, I think this thread is done. I have my answer and a functional vfd is on the way. When it arrives, I will wire it the same way and the buttons will work.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think you just make stuff up or you don't read the post properly...

The issue is not just that it is glued in place. It's that the connector is broken (as in cracked with parts missing) and this damaged connector (which does not work) is glued in place. If you think that is acceptable practice, I never want to buy anything from you. I already explained this...

The seller finally got back to me after sending the video to "the technical team at the factory" and they concur that it is a broken unit. They are sending a new one. If this unit powers up, the buttons are meant to work... Period. There is nothing wrong with my wiring.

If the issue was something I was doing wrong and if you were really the expert you think you are, surely you would have responded with an actual fix.... But you didn't because you don't know anything about this issue.

I simply asked if anyone here had seen this issue and knew a fix. Neither of those things apply to you....

Anyway, I think this thread is done. I have my answer and a functional vfd is on the way. When it arrives, I will wire it the same way and the buttons will work.
    You never posted that the connector was broken, it is a simple ribbon cable plug which is easy to fix if this was the case, you never showed a photo of the connector where it is broken

Your wiring is not correct, plugging the VFD into a plug to power it up is not correct, and they state this in the manual this goes for any VFD Drive not just this one

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone seen this Huanyang VFD problem before? Buttons don't work-pluging-unpluging-png  
    Mactec54

You can email us, we will help you

https://www.automationtechnologiesin...e/cnc-spindle/

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by automationtechinc View Post
    Thanks for the offer but I think I'm ok. The vendor is sending me a new VFD.

I know you guys run a good business because I bought my motors from you and had a good experience. I particularly like that you now sell motors that come ready to plug straight into a G540 with no cable soldering to worry about. It's smart because nobody really likes soldering.