VFD Settings

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VFD Settings

Unhappy VFD Settings

Why is it so hard to find any reliable info on how to setup a VFD and a spindle. The documentation is always quite straightforward for the wiring. When it comes to the parameters, the documentation is vague and what I can find in any of the forums online is questionable. I see post after post of, "I smoked my spindle." or, "I fried my VFD" I am now building my third DIY CNC and have decided to upgrade to a water cooled spindle and VFD but can't find any reliable documentation online. Literally maybe less than 10 posts on any sight regardless of the brand combination of VFD and spindle. I've purchased a VFD combo from buildyourcnc.com and after a couple of questions on their support site, they stopped replying to me. I have 20+ years in the IT industry and this level of knowledge for computer technology would be embarrassing to me as a professional. Do I need to join some secret society to get access to this information? Sorry for the rant, but I think there a lot more people with the same frustration based on what I see in the forums.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: VFD Settings

I fully understand your frustration as it took me a long time and a lot of research to get mine set up. Attached is a copy of my setup, assuming you are using a Huanyang VFD. I am using a 220v 2.2kw water cooled spindle. If you are using different supply voltage (mine being 240v) and spindle rated voltage (mine being 220v) then you need to change these settings to suit your voltages. VFD Settings-img_0073-jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jrg6269 View Post
    Why is it so hard to find any reliable info on how to setup a VFD and a spindle. The documentation is always quite straightforward for the wiring. When it comes to the parameters, the documentation is vague and what I can find in any of the forums online is questionable. I see post after post of, "I smoked my spindle." or, "I fried my VFD" I am now building my third DIY CNC and have decided to upgrade to a water cooled spindle and VFD but can't find any reliable documentation online. Literally maybe less than 10 posts on any sight regardless of the brand combination of VFD and spindle. I've purchased a VFD combo from buildyourcnc.com and after a couple of questions on their support site, they stopped replying to me. I have 20+ years in the IT industry and this level of knowledge for computer technology would be embarrassing to me as a professional. Do I need to join some secret society to get access to this information? Sorry for the rant, but I think there a lot more people with the same frustration based on what I see in the forums.

I have been posting how to setup your VFD drives for a number of years, with hundreds of post here on the Zone, so I not sure how you have missed them

First we have to know what spindle and VFD Drive spec's you have and it is very simple from there

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DeanR181 View Post
    I fully understand your frustration as it took me a long time and a lot of research to get mine set up. Attached is a copy of my setup, assuming you are using a Huanyang VFD. I am using a 220v 2.2kw water cooled spindle. If you are using different supply voltage (mine being 240v) and spindle rated voltage (mine being 220v) then you need to change these settings to suit your voltages. VFD Settings-img_0073-jpg

This is an exact copy of my posted Parameters, Don't clam what is not your work, you have changed some of the Parameters which is a Bad thing, this is why jrg6269 saw lots saying they Smoked there spindles / Drive, because of wrong settings like this

You have some incorrect Parameters set / changed from my postings

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    This is an exact copy of my posted Parameters, but you have changed some of the Parameters which is a Bad thing, this is why jrg6269 saw lots saying they Smoked there spindles / Drive, because of wrong settings like this
    Rubbish. This is a copy from my own work and setup and works perfectly. I have copied no ones work, especially yours. If you think you know it all, then so be it but don’t knock others that are trying to help others. You are not the only one in this world that understands these things. Keep your remarks to yourself unless being proactive.

Wow this is exactly what I am talking about. Some "community" here ; ) Apparently DeanR181, you and I are not in the secret society, but thank you for the info.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wow this is exactly what I am talking about. Some "community" here ; ) Apparently DeanR181, you and I are not in the secret society, but thank you for the info.
    No problem, please double check your settings with the VFD literature as there maybe some small differences between systems. Ie. how many poles your motor has, working voltage, specified rating voltage of spindle, amps etc. the setup I sent is based on my system so please be careful.

Downloads
    Uploads

I agree with Mactec that there are several errors in your settings. It's my understanding that all of these 2.2kw spindles are 2 pole, yet you have yours set to 4 pole?

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    I agree with Mactec that there are several errors in your settings. It's my understanding that all of these 2.2kw spindles are 2 pole, yet you have yours set to 4 pole?
    Thanks for your reply but I assure you 100% that my motor is 4 pole. Absolutely guaranteed

Downloads
    Uploads

Rubbish. This is a copy from my own work and setup and works perfectly. I have copied no ones work, especially yours. If you think you know it all, then so be it but don’t knock others that are trying to help others. You are not the only one in this world that understands these things. Keep your remarks to yourself unless being proactive.

I will post what I have been posting for years, you would not be using the same wording as I have in what you posted Parameter list if it was not a copy, any one will see it is a copy

AS I said you have changed some of the settings, and added some incorrect, no one should do this as you have, your spindle set up is incorrect, if you are using the parameters you have posted

Huanyang Mactec54
    2.2Kw

PD000=0 for Parameter unlock ( 1 ) for Parameter Lock

PD001=0 (1 For Remote Control)

PD002=0 ( 1 For 0-10v Terminal Control or Remote Trim Pot Control ) ( J1 Also Needs to be set for Terminal Control )

PD003=400

PD004=400

PD005=400

PD007=20

PD008=220 (Motor Rated Voltage )

PD009=15

PD010=8

PD011=100 ( 100 Minimum Setting with Quality VFD, 120 is Safe)

PD13= 08 is for Factory reset, Only use this to set VFD to Factory Default Settings

PD014 Acceleration=10 ( Adjust to suit)

PD015 Deceleration=10 (Adjust to suit)

( PD15 is ignored IF PD26=1 Then the Spindle will Coast to a Stop)
    PD041=8 ( Carrier Frequency )

PD141=220 ( Motor Rated Voltage )

PD142= 9 ( Motor Amp Rating 2.2Kw Spindle 9 amp )

PD143=2 ( Motor Number of Poles)

PD144=3000 (Max Motor RPM) =3,000= (24,000)

PD70=0 ( This may need to be set to 1 if Control Voltage is 0-5v )

PD72=400

PD73=100 ( 100 Minimum Setting )

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for your reply but I assure you 100% that my motor is 4 pole. Absolutely guaranteed

Your are exactly correct your motor is 2 pole, this is one of the parameters DeanR181 has incorrect

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

If your motor is 4 pole it is not 400Hz

You have a 220v 2.2Kw 400Hz =2 Pole motor

You also have your motor voltage set incorrect as well, you don't have a 240v motor PD008=220v

PD011 is totally incorrect information, Your minimum speed is incorrect, the minimum speed for these spindles is 6,000RPM=100Hz

Last edited by mactec54; 01-25-2018 at 10:45 PM.
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

RPM of 1ph/3ph Induction motor.
    RPM = 60 x Freq(Hz) / # of pole-pairs.
    IOW for a 2 pole motor on 400Hz = 60x400 / 1 (pole pair) = 24,000 (minus slip frequency).
    ~22krpm.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

I recently upgraded to a import VFD and spindle and it took a little searching and reading but I found plenty of reliable info. If you have a Huanyang VFD and import spindle and are using Mach3 or UCCNC there are plugins which use cheap RS485 to USB converters that make the process fairly simple with 2 wires. The docs with the plugins along with developer/user threads and some videos scattered about on using & setting them up explained things fairly well. Also taking a good look at the docs for your VFD that lists all of the settings should help make it a fairly straightforward process as long as you know your spindle specs. I'll admit it took me a couple days of research and "self education" but I wouldn't call it a "secret society". I do believe folks will help and answer any specific questions you have if you provide the hardware and software specifics. That's the great thing about the web the this forum... 9 time out of 10 someone's already "been there, done that" and is usually happy to pass on their mistakes and successes!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by coherent View Post
    If you have a Huanyang VFD and import spindle and are using Mach3 or UCCNC there are plugins which use cheap RS485 to USB converters that make the process fairly simple with 2 wires. The docs with the plugins along with developer/user threads and some videos scattered about on using & setting them up explained things fairly well.
    That is about the only way to get it working with the RS485, as far as the manual is concerned there is Nothing on the codes and protocol, at least not in the one that came with mine.
    I got all the info I needed off the Mach site.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Well I almost have this working. Thanks for all the posts and advice. I used the settings that DeanR181 posted with some adjustments for my 110V input. I also found that they are selling 110V VFD's paired with 1.5KW and 2.2KW spindles. The particular model I was sold would never work with one of those. I have a 800W now and I can get it up to 24000 rpm but here is the strange part. On a cold start it will slowly accelerate up to about 500 rpm, then start show AOA errors every 100 rpm or so. At about 1000 it goes into safety E0A0 shutdown. I then hit stop, then run again then it will accelerate to 24000 without errors. I then hit stop, let it spin back down to a stop, On the next start it will behave exactly the same way. Its seems like the E0A0 error resets something. I have even set PD0014 to around 90, which of course, takes forever to start up but no matter how high I go the same result. I find that the spindle is drawing around 5.5 - 6 amps when the A0A errors occur which makes sense since the VFD is set to 3.5 amps max. Again, thanks for the push in the right direction to all.

Downloads
    Uploads

When you say cold, how cold is it?

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Well I almost have this working. Thanks for all the posts and advice. I used the settings that DeanR181 posted with some adjustments for my 110V input. I also found that they are selling 110V VFD's paired with 1.5KW and 2.2KW spindles. The particular model I was sold would never work with one of those. I have a 800W now and I can get it up to 24000 rpm but here is the strange part. On a cold start it will slowly accelerate up to about 500 rpm, then start show AOA errors every 100 rpm or so. At about 1000 it goes into safety E0A0 shutdown. I then hit stop, then run again then it will accelerate to 24000 without errors. I then hit stop, let it spin back down to a stop, On the next start it will behave exactly the same way. Its seems like the E0A0 error resets something. I have even set PD0014 to around 90, which of course, takes forever to start up but no matter how high I go the same result. I find that the spindle is drawing around 5.5 - 6 amps when the A0A errors occur which makes sense since the VFD is set to 3.5 amps max. Again, thanks for the push in the right direction to all.
    The Parameters he posted are incorrect, and will damage your spindle if you use them

What is the voltage of your Spindle motor ??

The 120v Ac supply for a 1.5Kw spindle is around the limit of the 120v supply, the performance of a 1.5Kw is about the same as your 800w spindle using a 120v supply, I would never buy a 120v VFD drive to run a spindle bigger than 800w, just a waste of money,

Mactec54

Cold is about 60 degrees. I turn down the thermostat in my shop when I'm not working.

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    The Parameters he posted are incorrect, and will damage your spindle if you use them

What is the voltage of your Spindle motor ??

The 120v Ac supply for a 1.5Kw spindle is around the limit of the 120v supply, the performance of a 1.5Kw is about the same as your 800w spindle using a 120v supply, I would never buy a 120v VFD drive to run a spindle bigger than 800w, just a waste of money,
    Can you be more specific about the settings that are wrong? The spindle voltage is 220. I would appreciate it. It seems very few of the settings I am seeing are for this combination of VFD/Spindle so confused about the settings that do not involve the spindle amp rating, spindle voltage, and VFD input voltage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast