Emerson vs Hitachi vs Huanyang. What is your experience with your VFD?

Thread: Emerson vs Hitachi vs Huanyang. What is your experience with your VFD?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Emerson vs Hitachi vs Huanyang. What is your experience with your VFD?

Hi Guys,

I'm building a drive head for a mill using a 2hp motor. I bought the motor and now looking at VFD's to run it. I know everyone says Huanyang is junk but after reading 10 pages of posts back to 2015 it seems that a bunch of you are running one.

So my options are the Emerson Unidrive M at $419 plus shipping, the Hitachi WJ200 at $319 free shipping, and the Huanyang at $129 free shipping, all 3hp VFDs.

I can buy 2 for the price of the Hitachi and 3 for the price of the Emerson. Are the Huanyang's really a coin flip or is like the Leadshine stepper drives vs the Gecko's. I have the Leadshine's in a machine and they have been solid since day one and running the last 2 years no issues.

Looking for input on what you guys are running.

Thanks

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Dan2464; 01-17-2018 at 09:59 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Emerson vs Hitachi vs Huanyang. What is your experience with your VFD?

My preference is the Automation Direct GS2 ($251) and GS3 ($293) drives, and 2 day free shipping. They have served me well for many years in addition to excellent documentation and customer service. I use 3 of them in my shop, and have installed several for customers.

I have only had my hands on a couple of the Huanyang units, and found then to be a bit of a pain to program due to the poor documentation and translation. Nothing wrong with the YJ200, but I have a 2 year old one out in the shop that blew up. That is not to say that they are all bad, just that particular one blew, and that's the only one that I have heard of that fried, and I don't really know it's history. I replaced it with a GS2 and as far as I know it's still running.

Never used an Emmerson.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Emerson vs Hitachi vs Huanyang. What is your experience with your VFD?

I have a Teco, an Automation direct, a Mitsubishi, a Fuji and and a Huanyang , They all work well, programing is a bit different an each, I had no problems programing the Huanyang this is my newest drive on my cnc router , Be aware that there are clones of the Huanyang which I believe give many problems

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Dan2464 View Post
    Hi Guys,

I'm building a drive head for a mill using a 2hp motor. I bought the motor and now looking at VFD's to run it. I know everyone says Huanyang is junk but after reading 10 pages of posts back to 2015 it seems that a bunch of you are running one.

So my options are the Emerson Unidrive M at $419 plus shipping, the Hitachi WJ200 at $319 free shipping, and the Huanyang at $129 free shipping, all 3hp VFDs.

I can buy 2 for the price of the Hitachi and 3 for the price of the Emerson. Are the Huanyang's really a coin flip or is like the Leadshine stepper drives vs the Gecko's. I have the Leadshine's in a machine and they have been solid since day one and running the last 2 years no issues.

Thanks
    If this is a regular 240v AC 60Hz motor, then the Huanyang, is the best buy, you could buy 2 of these for the Hitachi and it won't do anything different or do a better job, just cost more

The only thing you have to watch for is if you want to stop the spindle fast, like 1 second, then you will need an external Braking Resistor, not all the Huanyang VFD drives support this, you have to ask for this from the supplier if you need this, the more expensive VFD Drives already have connections for a Braking Resistor, you would still have to buy the Braking Resistor as an extra though

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    My preference is the Automation Direct GS2 ($251) and GS3 ($293) drives, and 2 day free shipping. They have served me well for many years in addition to excellent documentation and customer service. I use 3 of them in my shop, and have installed several for customers.

I have only had my hands on a couple of the Huanyang units, and found then to be a bit of a pain to program due to the poor documentation and translation. Nothing wrong with the YJ200, but I have a 2 year old one out in the shop that blew up. That is not to say that they are all bad, just that particular one blew, and that's the only one that I have heard of that fried, and I don't really know it's history. I replaced it with a GS2 and as far as I know it's still running.

Never used an Emmerson.
    Huanyang documentation is very good, and better than most, there is no problem with any translation in there manual

There have been lot of the YJ200s fail, most of the problems with VFD Drives failing is wiring and incorrect parameters set, for the motor they are driving

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks
    I brought a Huanyang in a while ago for evaluation and experimentation, particularly for use of the RS485 input, as I found out from the Mach forum, it is NOT truly Modbus compatible.
    The 70 page manual I received has a passing mention of having RS485 and very little else, there is no way without many hours of experimentation to find out the command protocol, fortunately I communicated with someone on the Mach forum who had reverse-engineered it also wrote a plug-in for it..

Over the years I have used the likes of Allen-Bradly, Mitsubishi, Telemecanique VFD's, and of course there is no comparison as to the quality of documentation and particularly important, Support.
    I think you will find that most that have used these have relied on those that have gone before and deciphered much of the method of operation and pitfalls.
    Basically a case of 'You get what you pay for'
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

.....Looking for input on what you guys are running......
    I just got a few of the Delta VFD015M21A off Ebay. The first one had an incorrect label but seems to work fine. The others had a more genuine looking label. Can't say for sure if they are clones or not. Can't beat the price. Under $75 with shipping. There is even a USA shipper now but I can't vouch for him.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Emerson vs Hitachi vs Huanyang.  What is your experience with your VFD?-delta-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

some of those delta's appear to be clones some of the labels have spelling errors and the real delta's do not

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by sparkness View Post
    some of those delta's appear to be clones some of the labels have spelling errors and the real delta's do not
    For the price I suspect that much. I figured it couldn't be any worse than a Huanyang. I may not buy one for a mission critical application but for a simple home shop application where I have to spend my own money I was willing to give it a try.

Downloads
    Uploads

I went ahead and ordered the Huanyang. I should have checked Amazon, I would have saved 10 bucks. $116 delivered but with a few weeks wait from Huanyang. Well see how it goes. If it becomes a problem I'll step up to the Hitachi.
    I have found that other users in forums like this one have given me better "support" over time than most of the venders or manufactures. Plus I know much more about the inner workings.
    When I get it I'm sure I'll be asking mactec54 for some pointers on settings. Looks like the goto person from all the posts I have read on here about settings.

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm sure this will be fun. This CNC stuff has never let me down in that category.