Help with my VFD and Mach3 break out board - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help with my VFD and Mach3 break out board

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Help with my VFD and Mach3 break out board

Ok.
    Thanks again for all the help. Of-course I will look for a proper cable and install it as you suggested.
    For the torque compensation setting, it was initially setup to 0 since the beginning and I changed it to 1 like a couple of weeks ago because I thought maybe I didn't have enough torque and the spindle was stalling. But as it seems it didn't help.
    The strange thing is that when the issue with the pocket happened and it was filled with wood chips while the machine was cutting, the spindle rpm were dropping down a lot and it manage to bring it up to speed. I have never heard it do something like this so. I think this was the biggest load this spindle has seen and yet the vfd didn't OC-r but kept running. That is why I am confused and think that something else is the problem.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok I may have located the cause of my OC-r faults.
    I checked again all the connections on the VFD and the Spindle.
    I found out that the connections on the VFD were not solid after all....
    The screws were tight but the cables were soldered on some clamps that were held by the screws in position. I looked more closely today and found out that a couple of the solders were not done properly and the cables were moving in the clamps. Both on the 3phase outputs and the single phase inputs of the VFD. So I removed all the clamps and clamped the cables straight on the screw terminals on the VFD so they are solid now. I also connected the shield of the cable on the ground on both sides (spindle and vfd).
    I didn't do a better ground connection on the spindle yet because I plan to do it when I disassemble the spindle to replace the bearings. But it is solid now too. The Washer is tightly clamped between the nut and the spindle clamp.

I hope I won't see any more OC-r from now on.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jimskeet View Post
    Ok I may have located the cause of my OC-r faults.
    I checked again all the connections on the VFD and the Spindle.
    I found out that the connections on the VFD were not solid after all....
    The screws were tight but the cables were soldered on some clamps that were held by the screws in position. I looked more closely today and found out that a couple of the solders were not done properly and the cables were moving in the clamps. Both on the 3phase outputs and the single phase inputs of the VFD. So I removed all the clamps and clamped the cables straight on the screw terminals on the VFD so they are solid now. I also connected the shield of the cable on the ground on both sides (spindle and vfd).
    I didn't do a better ground connection on the spindle yet because I plan to do it when I disassemble the spindle to replace the bearings. But it is solid now too. The Washer is tightly clamped between the nut and the spindle clamp.

I hope I won't see any more OC-r from now on.
    That's a good start, most problems are from wiring, then incorrect Parameters are next, not wires like this should be soldered, the spindle plug is most likely just as bad too

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Don't use solder anywhere. Use crimp on connectors with a good crimper.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah when I said they were soldered on clamps, I meant crimps. I have them now straight on the terminals. Just the cable ends.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123