Need Help! chinese spindle question(s)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chinese spindle question(s)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default chinese spindle question(s)

Hello All,
    I have been running a 5x10 for a few years now. I bought a decommissioned commercial router, less the z drive and any wiring. With the help of this forum I got it put together and have been making sawdust ever since.
    I raised the gantry so I have a 7" z, and finally bought a 10HP vacuum pump. Its been extremely reliable and has become an integral part of feeding the family.
    I have been running a porter cable 7518 router motor. I can't say enough about it. Its been a beast. I believe I'm on my 4th set of brushes. Its been running for some 5 plus years on a regular basis. I can't count the number or 3/4 sheets of MDO and MDF I've cut with it. I have also cut a few hundred a/b long board and skateboard molds among tons of other projects. I don't feel it owes me much. The bearings are starting to get tight and I can't reliably use it any more. I have had this sitting around for a while-
    chinese spindle question(s)-vfd-jpg

I'm sorta at the point that I have out grown my router. I don't want to put much $ into it. I need a ATC and more power all around. So for now I want to install the 3KW Chinese spindle. I have a piece of scrap 3/8 aluminum and a Bridgeport so installing it should only cost cable and a few screws.

I have no manuals or way to ID this stuff. I know it's a 3 kw Chinese spindle and a Huanyang VFD .

I tried the factory parameters and the spindle would start to ramp up (spin) then stop and the VFD would read "LU"

I looked all over and tried a few specs for the 2.2 and other random "PD" parameters. Nothing helped.
    Here is what I have so far-

PD001=0
    PD002=0
    PD005=400
    PD004=400
    PD003=400

PD141=220
    PD142=11
    PD144=2000
    PD008=220
    PD013=0
    PD072=400

I have tried a number of other settings..

Any insight would be great!!

R=hot
    S=hot
    T=Neutral

U,V,W poles on motor
    9 ground

Thank you for your time.
    Vince

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chinese spindle question(s)-vfd1-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: chinese spindle question(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vpl View Post
    Hello All,
    I have been running a 5x10 for a few years now. I bought a decommissioned commercial router, less the z drive and any wiring. With the help of this forum I got it put together and have been making sawdust ever since.
    I raised the gantry so I have a 7" z, and finally bought a 10HP vacuum pump. Its been extremely reliable and has become an integral part of feeding the family.
    I have been running a porter cable 7518 router motor. I can't say enough about it. Its been a beast. I believe I'm on my 4th set of brushes. Its been running for some 5 plus years on a regular basis. I can't count the number or 3/4 sheets of MDO and MDF I've cut with it. I have also cut a few hundred a/b long board and skateboard molds among tons of other projects. I don't feel it owes me much. The bearings are starting to get tight and I can't reliably use it any more. I have had this sitting around for a while-
    chinese spindle question(s)-vfd-jpg

I'm sorta at the point that I have out grown my router. I don't want to put much $ into it. I need a ATC and more power all around. So for now I want to install the 3KW Chinese spindle. I have a piece of scrap 3/8 aluminum and a Bridgeport so installing it should only cost cable and a few screws.

I have no manuals or way to ID this stuff. I know it's a 3 kw Chinese spindle and a Huanyang VFD .

I tried the factory parameters and the spindle would start to ramp up (spin) then stop and the VFD would read "LU"

I looked all over and tried a few specs for the 2.2 and other random "PD" parameters. Nothing helped.
    Here is what I have so far-

PD001=0
    PD002=0
    PD005=400
    PD004=400
    PD003=400

PD141=220
    PD142=11
    PD144=2000
    PD008=220
    PD013=0
    PD072=400

I have tried a number of other settings..

Any insight would be great!!

R=hot
    S=hot
    T=Neutral

U,V,W poles on motor
    9 ground

Thank you for your time.
    Vince
    The first red flag I see is you have the neutral wire connected, you can not do this this will damage the VFD Drive, need more spec's on the spindle to know if you have the parameters set correct

So your wiring has to be changed, R and T Hot on R Hot on T and Ground to the Ground terminal, Neutral is not used with 240v NA Supply, Remove the NEUTRAL WIRE is this air cooled

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    The first red flag I see is you have the neutral wire connected, you can not do this this will damage the VFD Drive, need more spec's on the spindle to know if you have the parameters set correct

So your wiring has to be changed, R and T Hot on R Hot on T and Ground to the Ground terminal, Neutral is not used with 240v NA Supply, Remove the NEUTRAL WIRE is this air cooled
    My first assumption was not to use the neutral wire. I tried it without to start with and had the same issue-
    Thanks for looking.

Downloads
    Uploads

My first assumption was not to use the neutral wire. I tried it without to start with and had the same issue-
    Thanks for looking.
    Is the spindle air cooled ?? you don't have all the parameters that are needed to run this spindle, what is the max output amps of the VFD Drive

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Is the spindle air cooled ?? you don't have all the parameters that are needed to run this spindle, what is the max output amps of the VFD Drive
    I think you answered my question.

When I try to modify PD142, which I understand to be motor current in amps it only goes to 11, it was set at 10 for a 2.2 kw. I assume I need at least 13.63 according to an online calculator. I bought the pair on ebay as a set some years ago. Is there an other parameter that controls or influences the PD142 setting? Or is this VFD simply the wrong one?

Thanks for your time

Downloads
    Uploads

The removable cover says it's a 220V/3.0KW. I looked on ebay and it seems for the 2.2kw the VFDs are rated at 10amp, the 3.0kw at 13 amps.
    Can I change a parameter that will allow more than 11 amps? Is 11 amps enough? Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

The removable cover says it's a 220V/3.0KW. I looked on ebay and it seems for the 2.2kw the VFDs are rated at 10amp, the 3.0kw at 13 amps.
    Can I change a parameter that will allow more than 11 amps? Is 11 amps enough? Thanks
    No you have to have the right size VFD Drive, the drive will run it but won't last a long time, you need a 4Kw for that 3Kw spindle

What does the name plate say on the VFD it will tell you there what it's max output Amps are, if it is rated for higher Amps then there is a way to change it, but not if it is not rated for a higher output

Is this a 400Hz spindle or a 300Hz spindle, these both require different parameters

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

There is no info anywhere other than a high voltage warning on the vfd-
    There is nothing on the spindle itself. Like I said I bought it years ago as a set on ebay. It came with zero documentation.
    I'm not sure what direction to take.
    Anyone have vfd parameters for a 3K spindle?

Downloads
    Uploads

There is no info anywhere other than a high voltage warning on the vfd-
    There is nothing on the spindle itself. Like I said I bought it years ago as a set on ebay. It came with zero documentation.
    I'm not sure what direction to take.
    Anyone have vfd parameters for a 3K spindle?
    I have all the parameters that are needed, but you need some information from the spindle, that I just asked you, is the spindle 300Hz or 400Hz, or what is the max RPM that will tell me the Hz it is, if it not not on the spindle name plate

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

I have all the parameters that are needed, but you need some information from the spindle, that I just asked you, is the spindle 300Hz or 400Hz, or what is the max RPM that will tell me the Hz it is, if it not not on the spindle name plate
    mactec54,
    Thank you for the help.
    chinese spindle question(s)-spin1-jpg
    chinese spindle question(s)-spin-jpg
    chinese spindle question(s)-spin3-jpg
    chinese spindle question(s)-spin2-jpg

Maybe this can help ID my spindle. I simply can't remember what was advertised as max rpm. There really aren't any tags, badges, UPC, or any useful info other on either unit other than the 220V/3.0KW sticker on the vfd
    chinese spindle question(s)-spin4-jpg
    Nothing on the sides, back or under the cover for info on the vfd

If you have a guess as to what the specs are you're ahead of me-

Downloads
    Uploads

Vpl

Try this to start with, make sure the wiring is correct, your spindle may be only 18,000 RPM most of these air cooled where, so this is a starting point

The VFD could be faulty, if these Parameters don't get you going

Huanyang Mactec54

2.2Kw Air Cooled

PD000=0 for Parameter unlock ( 1 ) for Parameter Lock

PD001=0 (1 For Remote Control)

PD002=0 ( 1 For 0-10v Terminal Control or Remote Trim Pot Control )
    ( J1 Also Needs to be set for Terminal Control )

PD003=300

PD004=300

PD005=300

PD007=20

PD008=220

PD009=15

PD010=8

PD011=200

PD13= 08 is for Factory reset, Only use this to set VFD to Factory Default Settings

PD014 Acceleration=12 ( Adjust to suit)

PD015 Deceleration=12 (Adjust to suit)

( PD15 is ignored IF PD26=1 Then the Spindle will Coast to a Stop)

PD141=220 ( Motor Rated Voltage )

PD142= 9 ( Motor Max Amps)

PD143=2 ( Motor Number of Poles)

PD144=3000 (Max Motor RPM) =3,000= (18,000 or 24,000)

PD70=0 ( This may need to be set to 1 if Control Voltage is 0-5v )

PD72=300

PD73=200

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Vpl

Try this to start with, make sure the wiring is correct, your spindle may be only 18,000 RPM most of these air cooled where, so this is a starting point

The VFD could be faulty, if these Parameters don't get you going

Huanyang Mactec54

2.2Kw Air Cooled

PD000=0 for Parameter unlock ( 1 ) for Parameter Lock

PD001=0 (1 For Remote Control)

PD002=0 ( 1 For 0-10v Terminal Control or Remote Trim Pot Control )
    ( J1 Also Needs to be set for Terminal Control )

PD003=300

PD004=300

PD005=300

PD007=20

PD008=220

PD009=15

PD010=8

PD011=200

PD13= 08 is for Factory reset, Only use this to set VFD to Factory Default Settings

PD014 Acceleration=12 ( Adjust to suit)

PD015 Deceleration=12 (Adjust to suit)

( PD15 is ignored IF PD26=1 Then the Spindle will Coast to a Stop)

PD141=220 ( Motor Rated Voltage )

PD142= 9 ( Motor Max Amps)

PD143=2 ( Motor Number of Poles)

PD144=3000 (Max Motor RPM) =3,000= (18,000 or 24,000)

PD70=0 ( This may need to be set to 1 if Control Voltage is 0-5v )

PD72=300

PD73=200
    Thank you sir-
    I'll give these a shot today-
    I see it's for a 2.2kw. Is that okay with my 3.0kw? I would assume the PD142 number should be higher??
    I'll let you know the outcome.

I believe you stated earlier that this unit is under rated or won't last long. What would you suggest?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Air cooled spindles are usually 300 Hz (18 000 rpm) max but also have lower minimal speed than the water cooled. Can't remember the exact value.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you sir-
    I'll give these a shot today-
    I see it's for a 2.2kw. Is that okay with my 3.0kw? I would assume the PD142 number should be higher??
    I'll let you know the outcome.

I believe you stated earlier that this unit is under rated or won't last long. What would you suggest?
    Yes if it is going to run, this will get it going, we will look at what we need to do, to the VFD to make it play nice, for the higher amps, Etc and may be fix the Lu if it still happens, this I will give to you in a PM

Try the VFD by it's self, as well, no spindle connected, if you still get the fault, then we will take a look at some special Parameters to change

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Air cooled spindles are usually 300 Hz (18 000 rpm) max but also have lower minimal speed than the water cooled. Can't remember the exact value.
    200 Hz is a good starting point for the minimum RPM when using these air cooled spindles, you can adjust this parameter lower, and check the spindle motor temperature, does not rise above the full speed running temperature, which is normally around 110 deg F to 120 deg F

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

200 Hz is a good starting point for the minimum RPM when using these air cooled spindles, you can adjust this parameter lower, and check the spindle motor temperature, does not rise above the full speed running temperature, which is normally around 110 deg F to 120 deg F
    Okay thanks for the parameters.
    This is what I have found. I swapped in your parameters. Now if you hit run without the spindle wired you can watch the vfd build rpm. When you hit stop it spools down. Both operations take the prescribed 12 seconds.
    Hook the spindle up and it begins to start & gets to about 500-1,000 rpm and quits, throws the LV code.
    Any thoughts?

Downloads
    Uploads

Okay thanks for the parameters.
    This is what I have found. I swapped in your parameters. Now if you hit run without the spindle wired you can watch the vfd build rpm. When you hit stop it spools down. Both operations take the prescribed 12 seconds.
    Hook the spindle up and it begins to start & gets to about 500-1,000 rpm and quits, throws the LV code.
    Any thoughts?
    How many amps is you main power supply??? you will need at least a 30Amp supply

It seems the VFD may be OK, If you have a good power supply, then we will move to change some special Parameters

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Mactec,
    I have it wired into a plug that runs a 50 amp breaker. I checked the voltage, each leg is 120 to ground, 240 between the two legs using an old analog VOM.
    Parameter time??
    Thanks
    Vince

Downloads
    Uploads

Mactec,
    I have it wired into a plug that runs a 50 amp breaker. I checked the voltage, each leg is 120 to ground, 240 between the two legs using an old analog VOM.
    Parameter time??
    Thanks
    Vince
    Ok that sounds good, I will put together what you have to do

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Mactec,
    Parameter time??
    Thanks
    Vince
    PM sent

Mactec54

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast