Cold Weather & Chinese Spindle

Thread: Cold Weather & Chinese Spindle

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Cold Weather & Chinese Spindle

I bought a 2.2kw inverter & water cooled spindle off e bay ( supposed to be true huanyang from loveshoppingjxts ).
    Set it up with correct settings, its worked great the last few months. I turn it on & off + change speeds on the vfd front panel.

My uninsulated shop doesnt have any heat other than a small burner on a propane bottle to warm my hands.
    This cold spell we have had the last couple weeks has been keeping me out of there. I only stay for just a little bit at a time.

I ordered a cheap rs485 usb adapter off e bay. It warmed up to about 35 today so i tried to set it up today on linuxcnc.
    Long story short I didnt get it to work.

Wanted to try cut a few things so I reset vfd to factory settings pd013 / 08. Reset pd005-4-3-72-144.
    When i hit run i could hear spindle buzzing like it was running but it wasnt turning. Hit stop quickly, turned spindle by hand and it moved freely.
    Went back thru perimeters all looked good. Hit run again, same thing, reached up and spun spindle by hand and it took off.
    Let it run @ 2 min went up & down rpm range, stopped it then run again, same thing. Done this several more times.
    It started itself maybe twice and once in reverse with vfd in forward.

Is the cold this hard on these spindles?

Thanks
    Tim

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Cold Weather & Chinese Spindle

What are you using for the water cooling?

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, did the water freeze?

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

It has about 25% anti freeze in water. It wasnt frozen, pump was flowing a good stream.
    Water was really cold from the single digit low teens night time temps of the past week.

When I got in from work this evening went back thru parameters again, all were set as before.

Hit the run button heard buzzing of the spindle but it wasnt turning, turned it by hand and it spun right up.
    Left the pump off to see if it would build some heat. After about 5+ minutes it got up to around
    70+ deg, inside shop was mid 30's. Check voltages at vfd R & S 125V U 170 V195 W170 does these seem alright?

Stopped it then start again it rocked back & forth then spun up in reverse. Stopped it quickly.

One thing i noticed the rotation led wasnt on when running but i dont know if it was before.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 64dodge View Post
    It has about 25% anti freeze in water. It wasnt frozen, pump was flowing a good stream.
    Water was really cold from the single digit low teens night time temps of the past week.

When I got in from work this evening went back thru parameters again, all were set as before.

Hit the run button heard buzzing of the spindle but it wasnt turning, turned it by hand and it spun right up.
    Left the pump off to see if it would build some heat. After about 5+ minutes it got up to around
    70+ deg, inside shop was mid 30's. Check voltages at vfd R & S 125V U 170 V195 W170 does these seem alright?

Stopped it then start again it rocked back & forth then spun up in reverse. Stopped it quickly.

One thing i noticed the rotation led wasnt on when running but i dont know if it was before.
    You don't have the parameters set correct, also it should be wired R and T for single Phase connection, temperature won't stop it from starting correctly, unless it was frozen solid and that would be hard to do, only incorrect parameters cause these problems, it's easy to damage spindle or Drives with incorrect parameters set

You can not check the output voltage also with a normal meter, you can damage the VFD by doing this

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Ive been looking through the manual at parameters, had to find magnafying glass to read it.
    You are correct about R &T for single phase. I will have to fix that. Hope that hasnt damaged anything.

When I first set up I set PD005=400 PD004=400 PD003=400 PD072=400 PD144=3000
    per sellers info. From the manual PD003 changes when you change speeds.

When I tried to hook up usb rs485 changed pd001=2 pd002=2 pd164=3 pd165=3
    but I changed them back. Reset with pd013=8 then went back PD005=400 PD004=400
    PD003=400 PD072=400 PD144=3000

Are there any other parameters that could cause this?

Downloads
    Uploads

Ive been looking through the manual at parameters, had to find magnafying glass to read it.
    You are correct about R &T for single phase. I will have to fix that. Hope that hasnt damaged anything.

When I first set up I set PD005=400 PD004=400 PD003=400 PD072=400 PD144=3000
    per sellers info. From the manual PD003 changes when you change speeds.

When I tried to hook up usb rs485 changed pd001=2 pd002=2 pd164=3 pd165=3
    but I changed them back. Reset with pd013=8 then went back PD005=400 PD004=400
    PD003=400 PD072=400 PD144=3000

Are there any other parameters that could cause this?
    What the sellers give you are not all that are needed, it will get you running, but damage can happen if all are not set correct, the R and S wiring does not usually cause any damage

Things to check The spindle Ground is connected inside the spindle and back to the VFD, shields are connected correctly

Here is the parameters to set, this is the minimum that are required, any less, can result in damage to the spindle or the VFD Drive

If you have run the spindle below 6,000 RPM then it could easily be damaged, these parameters prevent the spindle from running below the minimum 6,000 RPM

Huanyang Mactec54
    2.2Kw

PD000=0 for Parameter unlock ( 1 ) for Parameter Lock

PD001=0 (1 For Remote Control)

PD002=0 ( 1 For 0-10v Terminal Control or Remote Trim Pot Control ) ( J1 Also Needs to be set for Terminal Control )

PD003=400

PD004=400

PD005=400

PD007=20

PD008=220 (Motor Rated Voltage )

PD009=15

PD010=8

PD011=120 ( 100 Minimum Setting with Quality VFD, 120 is Safe)

PD13= 08 is for Factory reset, Only use this to set VFD to Factory Default Settings

PD014 Acceleration=12 ( Adjust to suit)

PD015 Deceleration=12 (Adjust to suit)

( PD15 is ignored IF PD26=1 Then the Spindle will Coast to a Stop)

PD041=8 ( Carrier Frequency )

PD141=220 ( Motor Rated Voltage )

PD142= 9 ( Motor Amp Rating 2.2Kw Spindle 9 amp )

PD143=2 ( Motor Number of Poles)

PD144=3000 (Max Motor RPM) =3,000= (24,000)

PD70=0 ( This may need to be set to 1 if Control Voltage is 0-5v )

PD72=400

PD73=120 ( 100 Minimum Setting )

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Mactec for the info!!!

I found and downloaded the pdf manual it has a lot more technical detail about parameters than the paper manual that came with it.

The grounds were another thing I found. There are 3 ground terminals in the vfd, none connected to the other.

I will be digging into it tomorrow evening.

Thanks again!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Mactec for the info!!!

I found and downloaded the pdf manual it has a lot more technical detail about parameters than the paper manual that came with it.

The grounds were another thing I found. There are 3 ground terminals in the vfd, none connected to the other.

I will be digging into it tomorrow evening.

Thanks again!!!

There is only ( 1 ) main power supply Ground, the other terminals are not for 240v Ground, they are low voltage control Grounds

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

The 2 screws marked ground below power terminal on the left & right in the housing arent connected to ground beside UVW.

Downloads
    Uploads

The 2 screws marked ground below power terminal on the left & right in the housing arent connected to ground beside UVW.
    If they are Grounded then they will be connected to the heat sink / main aluminum frame inside the VFD, post a photo is the best, as we can't see what you have, some have ( 1 ) Ground terminal others of the same brand VFD have ( 2 )

2 Ground terminals are quite common in most VFD Drives, if it is a Ground connection it will be connected to the Heat sink of the VFD Drive

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks so much Mactec for the help!!!

Its alive again!!!

There were several parameters different from what you posted.
    I went through and wrote down every one for future screw ups.

They have ground symbol next to them but no connection to E terminal 9 on main block.
    Both are on plastic case. Will get a picture tomorrow.

Thanks a Million

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks so much Mactec for the help!!!

Its alive again!!!

There were several parameters different from what you posted.
    I went through and wrote down every one for future screw ups.

They have ground symbol next to them but no connection to E terminal 9 on main block.
    Both are on plastic case. Will get a picture tomorrow.

Thanks a Million
    Make sure you find the one that is connected to the Heat sink that then is where you connect the main input power Ground and the spindle Ground too

Yes I have seen that before, on these VFD Drives, the plastic case to no where connection, a disaster waiting to happen

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

I jumpered over so i could have spindle grounded.

Both bottom screws have ground symbol next to them.

Cold Weather & Chinese Spindle-vfd-ground-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

I also went through every parameter and wrote them down to have a backup.

Downloads
    Uploads

I jumpered over so i could have spindle grounded.

Both bottom screws have ground symbol next to them.

Cold Weather & Chinese Spindle-vfd-ground-jpg
    Yes I have seen that before, on these VFD Drives, just make sure you only use the one that is Grounded to the Heat Sink, you can connect them all to the same screw, that is not a problem, spade connectors are not so good for these types of connections, a ring terminals are what you should be using

Mactec54