1.5kw vs 2.2kw and power requirements - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1.5kw vs 2.2kw and power requirements

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 1.5kw vs 2.2kw and power requirements

Quote Originally Posted by QuinnSjoblom View Post
    Ok, sounds good. I will run everything off the 4 wire plug from the oven outlet. Once I come up with a specific plan for the wiring, fuses/breakers, grounds, etc., I will draw a diagram and run it by you guys before doing it.

One thing I'm curious about just for educational purposes, what is the specific reason that wiring in parallel with the oven doesn't work? Is it just because the wiring for the oven is only designed to handle the amperage of the oven itself and not also the spindle at the same time? Or is there some other reason? Let's say I wired in parallel to the back of the oven and then out to the machine (I absolutely wouldn't unless I was told it was OK by an experienced electrician). If I had a way to ensure the oven was never turned on at the same time as the machine, is there actually a specific problem with this? Let's say even if I did accidentally turn on one of the oven burners while the machine was running, what would happen? Obviously the wiring for the oven is designed to handle all 4 burner elements going full blast, plus the broiler on, plus the vent fan, plus some margin. So even if a burner was turned on while the machine was running, it would easily still be well within the amperage limit of the oven plug wiring and breaker. Is there some reason why the oven and machine can't run in parallel other than amperage limitations? Even worst case scenario, let's say all heating elements for the oven are turned on at the same time the machine is running, wouldn't it just trip the 50a breaker and shut down both the machine and the oven? I would imagine the wiring for the oven is designed to withstand at least the 50a that trips the breaker. Just curious
    The wiring you show in the photo's does not look like it is rated for 50Amps so you could easy draw more than the wire could handle and not trip the main 50A breaker, what would happen is the insulation could melt and start a fire

The Red wire connection is faulty in the photo and should be cleaned up, repaired

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    The wiring you show in the photo's does not look like it is rated for 50Amps so you could easy draw more than the wire could handle and not trip the main 50A breaker, what would happen is the insulation could melt and start a fire

The Red wire connection is faulty in the photo and should be cleaned up, repaired
    If that's the case (wire not rated for 50 amps) I would expect frigidaire to have some serious lawsuits on their hands. This is the cord that was provided with the oven and the oven is specd to run on a 50 amp breaker. If it's not safe to add the machine in parallel because the wire would fail before the breaker, isn't the oven with the provided cord a fire hazard to begin with? If the wire is indeed not rated for 50 amps, isn't it already gonna burn the insulation if the oven fails and tries to pull over 50a?

Wow, I didn't even notice the red terminal looking like that. Indeed not good. If I didn't mention it before, this is an apartment so not installed by myself. Also, I assumed the cord came with the oven but maybe it didnt. If it did, would they really provide a cord rated for less than the 50 amp breaker recommended?

Just pulled out the oven and looked again. That red terminal wasn't tightened down all the way. Also the cord says 40a on it. Is this the wrong cord for the oven to begin with? Is it common for appliances to use a cord that will fail before the breaker trips?

All that being said, let's say I got rid of the existing cord and bought a new one rated for at least 50a. Would it then be OK to wire the oven and machine in parallel? If not, what is the reason why? Still not a big deal for me to just pull the oven out to unplug it and plug the machine in, but it would be nice if they could both just be wired up together.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, sounds good. I will run everything off the 4 wire plug from the oven outlet. Once I come up with a specific plan for the wiring, fuses/breakers, grounds, etc., I will draw a diagram and run it by you guys before doing it.

One thing I'm curious about just for educational purposes, what is the specific reason that wiring in parallel with the oven doesn't work? Is it just because the wiring for the oven is only designed to handle the amperage of the oven itself and not also the spindle at the same time? Or is there some other reason? Let's say I wired in parallel to the back of the oven and then out to the machine (I absolutely wouldn't unless I was told it was OK by an experienced electrician). If I had a way to ensure the oven was never turned on at the same time as the machine, is there actually a specific problem with this? Let's say even if I did accidentally turn on one of the oven burners while the machine was running, what would happen? Obviously the wiring for the oven is designed to handle all 4 burner elements going full blast, plus the broiler on, plus the vent fan, plus some margin. So even if a burner was turned on while the machine was running, it would easily still be well within the amperage limit of the oven plug wiring and breaker. Is there some reason why the oven and machine can't run in parallel other than amperage limitations? Even worst case scenario, let's say all heating elements for the oven are turned on at the same time the machine is running, wouldn't it just trip the 50a breaker and shut down both the machine and the oven? I would imagine the wiring for the oven is designed to withstand at least the 50a that trips the breaker. Just curious
    I'm not an electrician, but I believe that ovens require a dedicated circuit by code. Even ignoring that, the physical connections would be difficult - one does not simply wirenut a 6 gauge wire.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by genixia View Post
    I'm not an electrician, but I believe that ovens require a dedicated circuit by code. Even ignoring that, the physical connections would be difficult - one does not simply wirenut a 6 gauge wire.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    Yes, I definitely wouldn't wire nut something like that. It would be proper crimped connections.

I can understand why it would be code to have a dedicated circuit for the oven, but other than that, assuming you have proper 50a capable cord from plug to oven and machine, proper connections, etc., is there any specific reason why it's unsafe to have both in parallel on the same circuit? Obviously wouldn't want to run both at the same time, but even if you accidentally did, is it not protected by the 50a breaker? Again, assuming you had at least 50a cable and proper connections.

Downloads
    Uploads

If that's the case (wire not rated for 50 amps) I would expect frigidaire to have some serious lawsuits on their hands. This is the cord that was provided with the oven and the oven is specd to run on a 50 amp breaker. If it's not safe to add the machine in parallel because the wire would fail before the breaker, isn't the oven with the provided cord a fire hazard to begin with? If the wire is indeed not rated for 50 amps, isn't it already gonna burn the insulation if the oven fails and tries to pull over 50a?

Wow, I didn't even notice the red terminal looking like that. Indeed not good. If I didn't mention it before, this is an apartment so not installed by myself. Also, I assumed the cord came with the oven but maybe it didnt. If it did, would they really provide a cord rated for less than the 50 amp breaker recommended?

Just pulled out the oven and looked again. That red terminal wasn't tightened down all the way. Also the cord says 40a on it. Is this the wrong cord for the oven to begin with? Is it common for appliances to use a cord that will fail before the breaker trips?

All that being said, let's say I got rid of the existing cord and bought a new one rated for at least 50a. Would it then be OK to wire the oven and machine in parallel? If not, what is the reason why? Still not a big deal for me to just pull the oven out to unplug it and plug the machine in, but it would be nice if they could both just be wired up together.
    No the oven may only be rate at 30amps look for its name plate on the oven, adding a bigger cable does not change anything, the apartment wiring up to the plug will be fine, as it would be rated to 50A , see if you can fit ( 2 ) 240v plugs in the same outlet box, just looked at your photos, no there is not enough room in that box for 2 plugs, but it would be possible to change the box for one that could take 2 plugs

The terminal needed to be cleaned up not just tightened, you can tell by the color and corrosion, that it was a bad connection

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    No the oven may only be rate at 30amps look for its name plate on the oven, adding a bigger cable does not change anything, the apartment wiring up to the plug will be fine, as it would be rated to 50A , see if you can fit ( 2 ) 240v plugs in the same outlet box, just looked at your photos, no there is not enough room in that box for 2 plugs, but it would be possible to change the box for one that could take 2 plugs

The terminal needed to be cleaned up not just tightened, you can tell by the color and corrosion, that it was a bad connection
    Yep, I cleaned up the terminal and bolted it down properly. Probably a good thing I had a reason to pull the oven out and look. The plastic under the terminal was starting to melt from the high resistance connection.

So as for oven plus machine in parallel, it sounds like there's really not an actual reason why it can't be that way other than code. Whether it be just wired in parallel, a splitter plugged into the wall, a new box put in with 2 outlets, etc., as long as all wire and connections can handle at least 50a, it should work and be safe since it's protected by the 50a breaker. Even IF the machine was on at the same time as one of the burner elements, it will either be under 50a and work fine simultaneously, or be over 50a and trip the breaker shutting everything down, right? Is there anything I'm missing that would make this dangerous?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12