Chinese 1.5kW, water cooled spindle and vfd...lack of power?

Thread: Chinese 1.5kW, water cooled spindle and vfd...lack of power?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Chinese 1.5kW, water cooled spindle and vfd...lack of power?

hope this is the right place for this post. to start I have a sieg x2 mill. with a bad motor and controller. So I decided to replace it with a Chinese 110v 1.5kW, water cooled spindle and VFD.( big mistake bought it open boxed) after receiving it, got it all hooked up and according to there manual programed it. ran good laying on bench I thought. some times it would not start up right sounded bad and only would run at about 1/2 rpm then error out with over amp. checked some of the settings and found out a few were wrong.

so to make a long story short, after mounting it to the machine, using a 2.5 belt reduction (didn't want to high a RPM a little scared to) hit the run button and the motor didn't have enough power to spin the empty spindle on the mill. it went back to trying to run at 1/2 speed and throwing a over amp error again. after hours of playing with the setting I gave up and boxed it up to send back. so am I right I assuming that the motor or vfd are bad. my thinking is that a 1.5kw brushless motor should have a whole lot more power than a DC 350 watt brushed motor. was I wrong in thinking this.
    and has anyone put a brushless motor on a seig x2? if so would love to know what you used.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Chinese 1.5kW, water cooled spindle and vfd...lack of power?

Assuming the spindle motor you bought was a ~20,000 RPM router spindle. It has almost no torque at low RPM, and in fact is useless below about 8000 RPM. Much too fast for your X2.

Try this Google search for some ideas: mini mill brushless motor conversion

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

after looking around I am thinking about going with one of these but haven't found anyone using them. any one got any thoughts

https://www.automationtechnologiesin...or-and-driver/

or to be safe

https://www.automationtechnologiesin...or-and-driver/

Downloads
    Uploads

The 2200W unit does not seem to be reversible. That would be a problem on a mill: No power tapping, among other things

The 1100W unit is a very large step up from from your original 350W motor, and is reversible.

What I can't find on their site is the torque curves on the motors. Without some indication of the torque it is difficult to compare to anything.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I agree about the torque curves, I have a email into there tech department about that now.will post them here if I get them. As far a no reverse that wouldn't be too big a deal as the factory setup dosent have reverse. The main reason for the upgrade is my motor and control board are browned right now, and it around 500. for new controller and motor setup from lms. I am open to other ideas too. Would love to buy a new machine, but got to much in this with the cnc conversions and other upgrades that have been done.