Problem 2.2kw spindle question - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2.2kw spindle question

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 2.2kw spindle question

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    Hi....what does it matter.......the 3 pins on the spindle are all for and can only be a live input and do not need an earth.

The spindle body with the 3 pin plug would be grounded by the spindle support bracket to the machine itself which is earthed...
    Then you should get an Education on the subject before you make such a statement, next time study your electrical code requirement's, Australia has electrical codes in place for VFD installation so you should know better

You can Not Ground / Earth a Spindle like this through a Machine, even if the machine it's self is Grounded/ Earthed, there are to many moving parts with these machines to do this and make it compliant with electrical code

This would be a far better fail safe set-up as in no way could your spindle become "live" if the 4th earth wire broke or became detached.......and in no way could you inadvertently connect a live wire from the VFD to the earth pin in the plug.....Human error etc. There has to be some conformity but in the end it's logical even if you have half a brain.....
    You should keep your thoughts on a subject like this to yourself, talking about half a brain, you are totally clueless as to what you are saying

A VFD needs a Ground /Earth wire the Spindle needs a Ground / Earth wire Plus has to have a Shielded cable to be compliant

I do not subscribe to Mac's Chinese bias comment as it's totally ambiguous and irrelevant.
    Ian.
    China in most areas do not use a Ground / Earth, hence the 3 Pin Connector on these spindles these are non compliant anywhere else in the world and should not be brought by any one because they are cheap, you should check out the rate of electrocutions per year in that country, this is what can happen there with the simplest of devices ( Chinese teen dies after charging iPhone electrocutes her ) Electrocutions happen everyday there

Here is one main reason that a Ground / Earth must be fitted to all VFD Driven Motors, not just these Spindles any 3Ph Ac motor that is used with a VFD Drive, Here is a small lesson on the subject especially for Handwanker,

When power is applied to these Spindles or any AC 3 Ph motor, from a VFD Drive the 3Ph motors Rotor gets energized with Voltage, without a Direct Ground / Earth the Spindle or motor body becomes Live, with enough voltage to electrocute the user

Some here on the Zone found this out the hard way, when doing a tool touch off, by destroying there Breakout Board from a Spindle voltage Spike, and others have been lucky to just get shocked, when they touched there spindles with no Ground / Earth wire connected

This is just a simple expiation that I think most can understand, I don't think there is any reason to get into the full technical details of Rotor voltage that most would not understand

Last edited by mactec54; 10-15-2017 at 12:37 PM.
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Alwaysintheknow View Post
    Gerry

Do you have your machine frame grounded separately to your power source or directly to a ground earth spike?
    Anyone can only use the Power source to Ground/ Earth there machine, another connections would cause you to have a Ground loop

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Point taken.....Mac at his obnoxious best.........my high speed spindle on the SVM-0 has a 4 pin socket in the top so that is a 3 phase plus earth set-up......it did come from China too.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tonyfoale View Post
    Very strange. That would be more understandable if the ones on the US eBay were 110 v not 220 but they are not.
    Maybe stranger is that I bought mine off US eBay on a trip to the US and it has 3 pins. Weird. ?????

A separate and general question. What work do the people on here do with their spindles? I am getting the idea that it is mainly wood routing which I guess loads up the spindles pretty well. I use mine for milling aluminium with very small cutters or internal grinding steel in the lathe, both of which are fairly light duty.
    It does not matter what the Voltage is code requirement is what it is anywhere in the world, except China, and responsible manufactures in China are working hard to be compliant

It does not matter what you are cutting with your spindle, without a Ground / Earth connected, the Rotor voltage will get you, there will be an electric shock, that you won't forget

If your question is just about machining then yes these spindles are used for all kind of machining, there is a problem with them that is hard to solve for machining like what you are doing, if you pull down on the your spindle shaft you will see why, you will have up down movement, but for light metal machining grinding Etc you won't have to much problem, heavy cutting that does not create a thrust up when cutting will be a problem

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I will update my router to spindle post. Here is the link to the spindle/vfd bundle. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I purchased a 4 pin connector because this came with a 3 wire connector with NO GROUND. I needed a 80 MM spindle mount that would mount perfectly to my CNC Router parts 4824 so I ordered that, here is the link 80 mm Spindle Mount - CRP141-01 | CNCRouterParts, This pump has a long cord and has plenty of lift to the spindle. https://www.amazon.com/Homasy-Submer.../dp/B01LHC91I6 I wired the pump to an outlet that starts when I turn on the power supply to the Gecko 540.

Everything is working fine manually but I am frustrated that I can not turn the spindle on through MACH 3. The digital speed display changes through Mach but the spindle will not turn on. I am getting power to the spindle. I've set the VFD according to many of the posts with similar setups, but nothing yet. When I get finished with some money making orders I will get back to figuring this out.

Mark

Downloads
    Uploads

I will update my router to spindle post. Here is the link to the spindle/vfd bundle. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I purchased a 4 pin connector because this came with a 3 wire connector with NO GROUND. I needed a 80 MM spindle mount that would mount perfectly to my CNC Router parts 4824 so I ordered that, here is the link 80 mm Spindle Mount - CRP141-01 | CNCRouterParts, This pump has a long cord and has plenty of lift to the spindle. https://www.amazon.com/Homasy-Submer.../dp/B01LHC91I6 I wired the pump to an outlet that starts when I turn on the power supply to the Gecko 540.

Everything is working fine manually but I am frustrated that I can not turn the spindle on through MACH 3. The digital speed display changes through Mach but the spindle will not turn on. I am getting power to the spindle. I've set the VFD according to many of the posts with similar setups, but nothing yet. When I get finished with some money making orders I will get back to figuring this out.

Mark
    You need a PWM 0-10v signal to the VFD and a relay to turn on the FWD connection to turn on the VFD, ( some Parameters to set also ) how do you have the spindle control wired, your Pump can be controlled, turned On / Off by the VFD built in Relays

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am using a G540 and there is a 0-5v and 0-10v available and from what I've gathered this is the same as the relay you've referenced. As I mentioned, the RPM read out changes when I direct it to through Mach 3, but doesn't trigger the spindle on. I've set the VFD for an external signal, set up Mach 3 to accept the signal. Look like 3 wires from the VFD to the Gecko.....inquiring minds want to know. I cant imagine the entire process hasn't been detailed somewhere. Once I get this figured out, I will post the process for others

Mark

Downloads
    Uploads

I am using a G540 and there is a 0-5v and 0-10v available and from what I've gathered this is the same as the relay you've referenced
    No, you need both the 0-10V and the relay.
    Something like this:

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-2Dx7SmtTk...%2BCircuit.tif

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

[QUOTE= I cant imagine the entire process hasn't been detailed somewhere. /QUOTE]

I need to research the subject more," PWM 0-10v signal to the VFD and a relay to turn on the FWD connection to turn on the VFD" I am just not getting the wiring, process, and other issues

Downloads
    Uploads

Did you look at the wiring diagram I posted?

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

[QUOTE=Alwaysintheknow;2111062]
    Quote Originally Posted by I cant imagine the entire process hasn't been detailed somewhere. /QUOTE

I need to research the subject more," PWM 0-10v signal to the VFD and a relay to turn on the FWD connection to turn on the VFD" I am just not getting the wiring, process, and other issues
    The PWM controls the speed at which your spindle will run, the FWD connection is what turns it ON / OFF

The link that Gerry posted is all you need,and have the right Parameters set to get it working

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Did you look at the wiring diagram I posted?
    The link was dead before...working now. Going to order them up tonight. Could i use these to tturn on the dust collectors? Probably

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

[QUOTE=mactec54;2111120]

The PWM controls the speed at which your spindle will run, the FWD connection is what turns it ON / OFF

The link that Gerry posted is all you need,and have the right Parameters set to get it working
    Which relay is best suited for my set up, I'm seeing solid state and others, my apologizes for the multiple questions

Mark

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

[QUOTE=Alwaysintheknow;2112202]
    Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post

Which relay is best suited for my set up, I'm seeing solid state and others, my apologizes for the multiple questions
    An electrical engineer recommended a bifurcated relay since I am unable to figure this out myself, RY2S-UDC12. Should be here in a couple of days.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12