Warner-Sawasey SC-28 spindle problem

Thread: Warner-Sawasey SC-28 spindle problem

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Warner-Sawasey SC-28 spindle problem

Good afternoon, all.

I recently started a position with a new employer. They have a Warner Swasey SC-28 that is down (for the last year) as the spindle will not turn in forward or reverse. It is the original 70's Reliance Electric control. The spindle motor was removed and set out for rewinding by a previous technician that did not know what they were doing. Is there anyone here that may have run across something like this? I am looking at my relay boards right now (IRCJ and IRCG). After familiarizing myself with the layout of the control, I will also look into the upper half of the spindle control cabinet. It has a large 3 pole switch and other stuff mounted behind it that looks difficult to get to. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Warner-Sawasey SC-28 spindle problem

Good afternoon, all.

I have gotten the spindle on the SC-28 to turn, but it only does so momentarily. I found a bad solder run on the back of the lower mother board in the Reliance spindle drive. I replaced both mother boards, rewired the rack, and reinstalled the rack and cards. Now, when a speed command is given, all of the spindle relays kick on like normal, but drop out just as quickly. It does this in a regular on/off frequency of about instant on/5 seconds off. I have been through almost everything I can think of, but just can't find out why the relays are dropping out and kicking in repeatedly. When the relays kick in, the control power on light comes on, but goes off when the relays kick out. The same goes for the !s relay indicator on the SCCA board. Phase sequence light is on. The tapping LED on the VLDC board is on solid. On my IRCJ, the #1 and #2 lights come on and shut off with the relays. On my IRCG, #1 flashes on, #2 stays dark, #3 is lit solid, #4, #5, and #6 flashes on and off. #7 stays lit solid. I am only running it at 17 RPM right now so as not to overload the machine. I have attempted to start the drive tuning procedure also, but cannot follow through without being able to run the spindle without stopping.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!