Spindle/Mach 3 setup questions for idiots from Maine!

Thread: Spindle/Mach 3 setup questions for idiots from Maine!

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up Spindle/Mach 3 setup questions for idiots from Maine!

Gentlemen,
    So I have been lurking and asking questions here on the "Spindle/VFD" Thread and decided to bite the bullet and ordered my Huanyang 2.2KW Spindle and VFD today from Amazon. This is replacing the standard Porter/Cable 3.25 HP router which is so loud my teeth are falling out of my head after 6 years of operation! I'm sure the regulars here are tired of the same old stupid questions but it appears a LOT of people are burning up brand new spindles from improper setup. So I'm hoping the brain trust can guide me thru the process and I have posted a lot of questions. So away we go!

1- I made sure I ordered the HUANYANG brand as the Chinese copies of a Chinese product have not been reliable. "Is this a Double Negative"??

2- After reviewing the Huanyang manual download from this forum and various other research the wiring of the VFD and motor is straight forward. Plan to use a dedicated 20 amp 2-pole breaker from my panel in shop and connect to VFD using standard 14 gauge 2 plus ground Romex. VFD to Spindle will be braided 14 gauge copper/Shielded insulated. Question: Do I strip the insulation and BOND the outer braided armor to GROUND on both ends. At the VFD and Spindle. At my job we have a lot of ventilation fans running on Danfoss VC converters and the cable from the VC to Fan motor is Bonded to ground on each end. Due to noise is there a recommended style cable for VFD to Spindle I should source?

3- I do not plan to run the VFD in manual with a Pot but will run via mach 3. Here is where I need advise. What is the BEST way to do this. The Mach 3 manual states the three methods as:Relay/contactor, Step & Direction or pulse width modulated. What ever is the best a wiring diagram or pictures would be great or both! Also a detailed step by step instructions.

4- Going thru the Mach 3 setup is always a battle as I am stupid so again guidance on the Spindle setup tab of the Ports and Pins would be great! There are a lot of boxes to click or not plus valve inputs.

5- Knowing the exact model of VFD/Spindle the complete list of VFD parameters to set would be much appreciated. Commissioning instructions also would be great.Spindle connected or not during 1st powering of VFD? Please advise

6- Water cooling will be flex tubing via a needle valve at the machine and outlet simply run to my shop sink 10' away. Does anybody see a problem with this setup. I have a handheld temp gun so I plan to use it for temp readings. Max Temp?

7- How do I ensure I do not run the spindle to slow, "below 8000rpm". I'm fuzzy on this issue?

8- Environment issues with VFD. Again we go to great lengths to keep dust and dirt away from VC's at work. Filter media on cooling fan inlets. I plan to build some kind of enclosure with a glass window to view the VFD. Door seal, cooling fan, etc. Anybody have pictures of designs they have come up with?

Any other items we need to address as I'm sure I have missed a number of items. Just want to ensure I'm up and running with no issues as the machine has a backlog of work.

Thanks ahead of time to all responders

Steve in Maine

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Spindle/Mach 3 setup questions for idiots from Maine!

Plan to use a dedicated 20 amp 2-pole breaker from my panel in shop and connect to VFD using standard 14 gauge 2 plus ground Romex.
    You don't wire romex directly to the VFD.
    Where are you putting the VFD? If it's in a control box, it would normally draw power from the control box source. Otherwise, make a cord to plug into your 240V outlet, and wire the cord to the VFD.

Some will say to ground the shield only at the VFD end, some will say both.

Igus CF35-15-04 is what I'm using.

3- I do not plan to run the VFD in manual with a Pot but will run via mach 3. Here is where I need advise. What is the BEST way to do this. The Mach 3 manual states the three methods as:Relay/contactor, Step & Direction or pulse width modulated. What ever is the best a wiring diagram or pictures would be great or both! Also a detailed step by step instructions.
    There are two Huanyang Modbus plugins for Mach3, This is the easiest way to control the spindle. Costs about $10 for a USB > RS485 converter.

Next method would be PWM. But you need a PWM to 0-10V speed control board, unless your breakout board already has one.

4- Going thru the Mach 3 setup is always a battle as I am stupid so again guidance on the Spindle setup tab of the Ports and Pins would be great! There are a lot of boxes to click or not plus valve inputs.
    Depends on how you are controlling it.
    5- Knowing the exact model of VFD/Spindle the complete list of VFD parameters to set would be much appreciated. Commissioning instructions also would be great.Spindle connected or not during 1st powering of VFD? Please advise
    Spindle NOT connected when you first fire it up and configure it. And don't plug the spindle in until the power has been off for at least a minute.
    See the posts from Mactec for the proper parameters. I don't have a list handy.

7- How do I ensure I do not run the spindle to slow, "below 8000rpm". I'm fuzzy on this issue?
    Depends on how you are controlling it. With PWM, set your PWN Min % to 33.

8- Environment issues with VFD. Again we go to great lengths to keep dust and dirt away from VC's at work. Filter media on cooling fan inlets. I plan to build some kind of enclosure with a glass window to view the VFD. Door seal, cooling fan, etc. Anybody have pictures of designs they have come up with?
    I'd put it in the control box, if you have room. Otherwise, it should go in it's own metal box, with filtered fan input and output.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey thanks for the reply. You bring up some good points.
    1- No romex to the VFD. I'll use a 220vac plug at the VFD enclosure. I'll post some pictures before powering up the first time.
    2- After doing more research I feel the best way for me is to buy a new Breakout board that is Opto isolated with relays. Automation Tech has a KL-DB25-5 breakout board with a USB connection for 12vdc power. Two (2) relays for spindle control and Good documents and support and totally Mach 3 usable.
    3- Good to know Spindle NOT CONNECTED on 1st power up!
    4- Enclosure for VFD I will figure something out. I just like very clean and sanitary setups and looking good.
    Thanks again and I will revert when I am ready to Light the Candle!!!

Steve in maine

looks like the same I'm using
    usb will provide the 5 v for the board but you still need to
    provide 12-24 v for the spindle control

Quote Originally Posted by Barefootboy4 View Post
    Hey thanks for the reply. You bring up some good points.
    1- No romex to the VFD. I'll use a 220vac plug at the VFD enclosure. I'll post some pictures before powering up the first time.
    2- After doing more research I feel the best way for me is to buy a new Breakout board that is Opto isolated with relays. Automation Tech has a KL-DB25-5 breakout board with a USB connection for 12vdc power. Two (2) relays for spindle control and Good documents and support and totally Mach 3 usable.
    3- Good to know Spindle NOT CONNECTED on 1st power up!
    4- Enclosure for VFD I will figure something out. I just like very clean and sanitary setups and looking good.
    Thanks again and I will revert when I am ready to Light the Candle!!!

Steve in maine

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spindle/Mach 3 setup questions for idiots from Maine!-file-jpg   Spindle/Mach 3 setup questions for idiots from Maine!-img_1193-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

After doing more research I feel the best way for me is to buy a new Breakout board that is Opto isolated with relays. Automation Tech has a KL-DB25-5 breakout board with a USB connection for 12vdc power. Two (2) relays for spindle control and Good documents and support and totally Mach 3 usable.
    You can get that same board on Ebay for $10 or less.
    5-Axis CNC Interface Adapter Breakout Board For Stepper Motor Driver Mach3 USB

As Mikey said you also need a 12V-24V power supply for that board. In addition to the speed control, the inputs won't work without it.

Note that the relay starts and stops the spindle, but the speed is controlled using PWM in Mach3, which the board converts to a 0-10V signal.

While I haven't used that board to control my spindle, I've found that my Huanyang VFD does not have a steady rpm with a 0-10V signal. Yours may work fine.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Gerry & MikeyD,
    Thanks for the feedback. Since a have a separate 12Vdc supply for the breakout board I can jump of that for Spindle control
    Gerry, Thanks for the Ebay heads up. That will save some money.

Steve in Maine