3 Phase or single phase inverter

Thread: 3 Phase or single phase inverter

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 3 Phase or single phase inverter

Good afternoon all.
    I am in the middle of fixing up a lathe on a very tight budget and I'm not seeing the usual number of cheap options on ebay to run the 3 phase spindle.
    In my search I came across a bit of a mystery (probably only to me as I'm not all that clever with the electronics)
    I'm hoping one of the experts on here can help.
    I found this one on ebay:

FUJI INVERTER 0.75kw - FRN 0.75 C1S-2J | eBay

The data place clearly says it needs 3 phase input:

3 Phase or single phase inverter-s-l1600-1-jpg

I read the manual online and it says the same thing, IE its made for 3 phase input.

http://aanha.nl/uploads/INR-SI47-079...n%20Manual.pdf

Then I look at one of the other images in the listing and it shows a label with what seems to me to be single phase wiring locations?

3 Phase or single phase inverter-s-l1600-2-jpg

Have I got this all wrong?
    Can a 3 phase inverter normally connect to single phase?
    The lathe in question is a Denford Orac with a 1/2hp spindle and when I say its on a budget I really mean it.
    I'm planning to spend no more than £300 in total including the £113 I have spent on buying the lathe in the first place.
    Luckily I'm quite good at scrounging and a bit of a hoarder of useful bits of metal and electronics so I have some of the bits I need already.
    I'm in UK so its 220v by the way.
    Many thanks
    Richard

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 3 Phase or single phase inverter

Quote Originally Posted by richaevans View Post
    Good afternoon all.
    I am in the middle of fixing up a lathe on a very tight budget and I'm not seeing the usual number of cheap options on ebay to run the 3 phase spindle.
    In my search I came across a bit of a mystery (probably only to me as I'm not all that clever with the electronics)
    I'm hoping one of the experts on here can help.
    I found this one on ebay:

FUJI INVERTER 0.75kw - FRN 0.75 C1S-2J | eBay

The data place clearly says it needs 3 phase input:

3 Phase or single phase inverter-s-l1600-1-jpg

I read the manual online and it says the same thing, IE its made for 3 phase input.

http://aanha.nl/uploads/INR-SI47-079...n%20Manual.pdf

Then I look at one of the other images in the listing and it shows a label with what seems to me to be single phase wiring locations?

3 Phase or single phase inverter-s-l1600-2-jpg

Have I got this all wrong?
    Can a 3 phase inverter normally connect to single phase?
    The lathe in question is a Denford Orac with a 1/2hp spindle and when I say its on a budget I really mean it.
    I'm planning to spend no more than £300 in total including the £113 I have spent on buying the lathe in the first place.
    Luckily I'm quite good at scrounging and a bit of a hoarder of useful bits of metal and electronics so I have some of the bits I need already.
    I'm in UK so its 220v by the way.
    Many thanks
    Richard
    Yes you will be fine, almost all 3Ph VFD Drives can run on single Phase, in your case you would wire Hot on L1 and Natural on L2------ Ground / Earth also has to be connected to the Ground / Earth Terminal, when buying a VFD like this for a Lathe or Mill go at least 1Hp larger than what you need, a larger Hp rating is better for the VFD

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

There is a way to hook Three Buck boosters up in a pattern that will make three phase power correctly ... I have done it years ago ... little google search you will find schematics ...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the info gents.
    You have cleared it right up.
    The 3 phase inverters are in less demand on ebay so they seem to be cheaper which suits me perfectly.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by richaevans View Post
    Thanks for the info gents.
    You have cleared it right up.
    The 3 phase inverters are in less demand on ebay so they seem to be cheaper which suits me perfectly.
    Be careful what you buy from Ebay there are a lot of brand name VFD Drives that are copy's

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MLichfield View Post
    There is a way to hook Three Buck boosters up in a pattern that will make three phase power correctly ... I have done it years ago ... little google search you will find schematics ...
    Why would you even want to try something like this, when it is not needed, this would not produce 3Ph power from a single Ph supply

Mactec54