Need Help! 110v 2.2kw VFD/spindle help

Thread: 110v 2.2kw VFD/spindle help

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 110v 2.2kw VFD/spindle help

Hey guys,

I purchased a 110v 2.2kw spindle and vfd from buildyourcnc.com recently and just got around to installing it. I cannot tell the brand of vfd and all the parameters in the small user guide are in Chinese. I set up and programmed the vfd per the site instructions. All air cut tests have been successful. However when I try taking wood test cuts the motor loses power dramatically. I am replacing a porter cable 7518 with this. I ran a proven program using the same whiteside 1/2" carbide spiral bit with .150 doc @ 75ipm with 18k rpm/300hz in northern ash. Now the vfd and spindle both have 8.5 amps on them. I programmed the vfd at 8.5 amps per the website instructions. But logic tells me that the input amps should really be 17 amps at 110 volts. I set the vfd to 16 amps input voltage and the spindle still bogged in the full width cut. Rpms increased to what sounded like full power when it was doing a 40% step over but would then stall when it was taking a full width cut.

Do you guys have any ideas?

Thank you advance
    Chris

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by factory5150; 08-09-2017 at 12:18 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 110v 2.2kw VFD/spindle help

Can you post a video of the spindle stalling during work? a picture of the VFD too, 2200W is a lot of power on my opinion.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by factory5150 View Post
    Hey guys,

I purchased a 110v 2.2kw spindle and vfd from buildyourcnc.com recently and just got around to installing it. I cannot tell the brand of vfd and all the parameters in the small user guide are in Chinese. I set up and programmed the vfd per the site instructions. All air cut tests have been successful. However when I try taking wood test cuts the motor loses power dramatically. I am replacing a porter cable 7518 with this. I ran a proven program using the same whiteside 1/2" carbide spiral bit with .150 doc @ 75ipm with 18k rpm/300hz in northern ash. Now the vfd and spindle both have 8.5 amps on them. I programmed the vfd at 8.5 amps per the website instructions. But logic tells me that the input amps should really be 17 amps at 110 volts. I set the vfd to 16 amps input voltage and the spindle still bogged in the full width cut. Rpms increased to what sounded like full power when it was doing a 40% step over but would then stall when it was taking a full width cut. Build your cnc.com hasn't exactly been helpful so far. Each day I'm down loses serious production.

Do you guys have any ideas?

Thank you advance
    Chris
    The Parameters for the spindle is what you set in the VFD 9 amps is max for this spindle, so your VFD should not be set above this number, you will smoke your spindle with 16 amps set

Do you have this on a 25A to 30A amp circuit for the input power your 120v would need to be a minimum of 25 amps, a standard 15 amp circuit is not going to do it, this is also a bad idea for a 2.2Kw spindle the VFD should of been for 220v / 240v input supply voltage

1.5Kw is about the limit if someone only has 120v supply

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is on a 20 amp circuit. It only ran at the higher amps for less than 30 seconds. Verified the settings for the 4th time and set the amps back to 8.5 and shot this video.

https://youtu.be/sbOd8830D6I

I understand due to my input voltage that I will never see the power it could using 220 but I didn't think it would be this bad. I have trim routers with more balls than this. So if this is as good as it gets I guess ill need to sell this setup, call an electrician to rewire my tapped panel and get a proper 220v vfd/spindle.

I was lead to believe that you can program the input and output amps to control the ceiling of power it will consume.

Downloads
    Uploads

This is on a 20 amp circuit. It only ran at the higher amps for less than 30 seconds. Verified the settings for the 4th time and set the amps back to 8.5 and shot this video.

I understand due to my input voltage that I will never see the power it could using 220 but I didn't think it would be this bad. I have trim routers with more balls than this. So if this is as good as it gets I guess ill need to sell this setup, call an electrician to rewire my tapped panel and get a proper 220v vfd/spindle.

I was lead to believe that you can program the input and output amps to control the ceiling of power it will consume.
    Is the spindle marked 120v or 220v

Does not sound good at all

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Is the spindle marked 120v or 220v

Does not sound good at all
    Spindle is stamped 110v just like the vfd. So am I not crazy thinking something is wrong with this picture lol.

Downloads
    Uploads

How many mm is your cut depth on the video? and what tool bit? sounds like too much drag it almost like braking the spindle RPM, if you have a clamp meter try to read how many amps. while on that dragging sound. on that we can tell if it`a a wrong setting on the VFD or it`s just too much for the tool bit to cut causing it to drag on the material, is the tool bit in a correct rotation?

Downloads
    Uploads

This is a 'low-price' Chinese VFD, yes?

Cheers
    Roger

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by KH0UJ View Post
    How many mm is your cut depth on the video? and what tool bit? sounds like too much drag it almost like braking the spindle RPM, if you have a clamp meter try to read how many amps. while on that dragging sound. on that we can tell if it`a a wrong setting on the VFD or it`s just too much for the tool bit to cut causing it to drag on the material, is the tool bit in a correct rotation?
    I had that info in the first post. 3.8mm depth of cut using a brand new Whiteside ru5200. I have been using these programs for years without issue running on my old porter cable 7518 setup. Spindle is rotating the correct direction, that was one of the first things I checked.

I only have a multimeter with probes, not alligator clips. Where would I put the probes to test how many amps during a load?

And yes I suppose this would be a cheap vfd, but guys run cheap eBay vfds all day long. Is it going to have the longevity of the good ones? No, but the price point doesn't reflect that either.

Downloads
    Uploads

I had that info in the first post. 3.8mm depth of cut using a brand new Whiteside ru5200. I have been using these programs for years without issue running on my old porter cable 7518 setup. Spindle is rotating the correct direction, that was one of the first things I checked.

I only have a multimeter with probes, not alligator clips. Where would I put the probes to test how many amps during a load?

And yes I suppose this would be a cheap vfd, but guys run cheap eBay vfds all day long. Is it going to have the longevity of the good ones? No, but the price point doesn't reflect that either.
    No sir you cant probe an AC line for amperage using a multimeter, unless you have large AC amp meter to connect it in series on the lines, an AC clamp meter is the most convenient one, I wanna compare it on the shop`s spindles because it`s also a china water cooled.

Downloads
    Uploads

Spindle is stamped 110v just like the vfd. So am I not crazy thinking something is wrong with this picture lol.
    110v 3ph 2.2Kw would be a dog, only the Chinese would do such a thing to try to get extra sales / business

The problem is your spindle can't be 2.2Kw @ 8.5A that would need to be 20amps at 110v to run correctly, so what you have is a less than 1Kw spindle running at 8.5A on 110V

So your router you where using was more powerful than what you have, you would have to take lighter cuts for this to work

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by KH0UJ View Post
    No sir you cant probe an AC line for amperage using a multimeter, unless you have large AC amp meter to connect it in series on the lines, an AC clamp meter is the most convenient one, I wanna compare it on the shop`s spindles because it`s also a china water cooled.
    No amount of checking the Amps will help at all, a 2.2Kw spindle running on 110v would have to be rated at 20Amps Not 8.5 Amps

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Buildyourcnc.com is standing behind the product and I'm swapping this for the 220v version. Should be good to go once I get the new parts and the electrician out to do the install.

I appreciate the help fellas.
    Chris

Downloads
    Uploads

Buildyourcnc.com is standing behind the product and I'm swapping this for the 220v version. Should be good to go once I get the new parts and the electrician out to do the install.

I appreciate the help fellas.
    Chris
    He would have to stand behind it, he should not be selling it to start with, I hope others read this and not buy any of the 110v 3ph spindles, they are a bad deal

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Even so, 220 V x 8.5 A = 1.87 kW. Not really enough to drive a 2.2 kW motor, especially after allowing for some efficiency losses.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    Even so, 220 V x 8.5 A = 1.87 kW. Not really enough to drive a 2.2 kW motor, especially after allowing for some efficiency losses.

Cheers
    Roger
    They are really 220v/240v @ 10A not 8.5A

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

I was going on the OP's comments in posting #1 and subsequent.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    I was going on the OP's comments in posting #1 and subsequent.

Cheers
    Roger
    The manufactures rate the Amps lower than they should be for most of these spindles, some have 10A some 9A some 8.5A there where some that had 12A all for the same spindles same Kw rating

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Sounds like caveat emptor.
    Perhaps there is more tech knowledge here than with some vendors?

Cheers
    Roger