A look inside a cheap 1.5kW air cooled spindle from AliExpress - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A look inside a cheap 1.5kW air cooled spindle from AliExpress

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: A look inside a cheap 1.5kW air cooled spindle from AliExpress

A couple of thoughts or suggestions.
    I thought that the VFD was not reporting a short circuit in the windings, rather a leak to earth? (But I might be wrong.) If so ...

* Get a motor rewind shop to put the winding on a growler to see whether there is a shorted turn. Failing that, measure the windings with an L/Q meter. If the Q is not terrible, the windings may be intact with no internal shorts. This would be wonderful. If there is an internal short ... full rewind needed.

* Go over the outer surface of the windings with a magnifier. Look for any charring or exposed copper. Alternately, put the winding back in the housing and hang a high voltage between the housing and a winding - to see if there are any current leaks at high voltage.

My first guess, IF the VFD reports a problem as you ramp up the volts, is that there is a partial leak from winding to case. This can be fixed! But I may be mixing this motor up with another one in a similar state.

Wrap the rotor with layers of foil or something so it is a tight fit inside the windings. Insert into windings. Find where the leakage is happening, clean it and gently tap the winding down there - 0.1 mm is enough. Coat the surface with a PU or silicone coating or even varnish in that area and really smooth the coating down. Remove wrap around rotor so it can spin freely. Replace winding in case and try again.

If this works - replace bearings.

Cheers
    Roger

Last edited by RCaffin; 08-13-2017 at 06:35 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Roger,

Thanks for the tips, although I havent seen a growler in a shop for more than 20 years or so. I used to see them in shops repairing car alternators and starter motors. But not anymore as everyone seems to just use multimeters..

Let me see if they have a growler in the shop where I gave the motor for rewinding (if they can do it) and see how the windings behave. Although I doubt they will want to spend so much time on doing small repairs versus a full rewind job.

As for physical inspection of the windings, I will probably do that once I pull the core out of the spindle frame.

Thanks again for the advice.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kafie1980 View Post
    Roger,

Thanks for the tips, although I havent seen a growler in a shop for more than 20 years or so. I used to see them in shops repairing car alternators and starter motors. But not anymore as everyone seems to just use multimeter...
    You are correct a hand held growler to check the stator windings, for this small motor would be hard to find anywhere

A simple check with an OHM meter will tell you more, as to the condition of the stator

Broken coil (infinite coil resistance)

Short-circuited coil (less than normal or zero coil resistance)

Leaking coil to Ground (current leaking from one coil to Ground)

Two or more coils short-circuited with each other (current leaking from one coil to another coil)

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I got my motor back yesterday as the rewinding shops cant work with such small diameter.

I pulled the core out of the spindle today, tried a bit of heat at home but heating didnt help as the press fit was very tight, so ended up using a hydraulic press with some approximately 50mm steel tubing to pull it out of the spindle frame.

I was in a rush as I didnt want to bother the machine shop folks with me being around as they let me use their hydraulic press for free. well it only took 10 seconds on the press.

next few days I will revisit the rewinding shops to see if they are comfortable working with the stator coil out of the spindle frame.

Downloads
    Uploads

If you can find Electrical Supply there in malaysia that sells hermetic magnet wires buy at least 150 grams, I think it`s the best material for the job you dont need to ship it here because I assume malaysians are quite as good as the filipinos, were almost the same, slightly different culture but almost the same race all I can say is it`s harder to rewind a conventional electrical fan with coil speeds of low , medium and high @ 60HZ than rewinding that variable frequency 3 phase motor.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm wondering if I could just gut mine and put hybrid ceramic bearings inside of it. Would be some money, but may be worth it.

James L

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by propellanttech View Post
    I'm wondering if I could just gut mine and put hybrid ceramic bearings inside of it. Would be some money, but may be worth it.

James L
    You sure can, as many have already done, beware not all of the spindles are like this one, most have precision sealed AC Bearings, You also need the correct tools to take it apart or you will turn it into trash

Mactec54

I have just had to strip my identical one for a very similar reason. I had been running my mill with it set to 40 Hz with a max. of 60 Hz and I forgot to set the max. to 400. However, I got to the OFF button within a few seconds of running, when I saw and smelt the smoke. It had got very hot. After letting it cool I set the VFD correctly and ran it up at different speeds and all seemed fine. Anyway I thought that I had better check it out to see if there was any sign of damage to the "German" bearings and the windings.
    The bearings seemed like new and the only damage was to the cloth binding on the exposed ends of the windings, from your pix. it looks like you have the same damage. These ends would have been the hottest parts, the part of the windings in the core would have had some cooling. However, under that binding my coils look in good shape. I put it back together after cleaning the rotor, it was only lightly stained from the combustion products, nothing like yours. It is working perfectly.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tonyfoale View Post
    I have just had to strip my identical one for a very similar reason. I had been running my mill with it set to 40 Hz with a max. of 60 Hz and I forgot to set the max. to 400. However, I got to the OFF button within a few seconds of running, when I saw and smelt the smoke. It had got very hot. After letting it cool I set the VFD correctly and ran it up at different speeds and all seemed fine. Anyway I thought that I had better check it out to see if there was any sign of damage to the "German" bearings and the windings.
    The bearings seemed like new and the only damage was to the cloth binding on the exposed ends of the windings, from your pix. it looks like you have the same damage. These ends would have been the hottest parts, the part of the windings in the core would have had some cooling. However, under that binding my coils look in good shape. I put it back together after cleaning the rotor, it was only lightly stained from the combustion products, nothing like yours. It is working perfectly.

Sounds like you got lucky, how long it lasts will be another story, once the insulation is burned then the wires can easily short with the high frequency

There is at least 4 Parameters that have to be set to 400Hz not just 1 , there is also a minimum that you have to set

Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Sounds like you got lucky, how long it lasts will be another story, once the insulation is burned then the wires can easily short with the high frequency
    The wire insulation shows no sign of damage so I am hopeful. My unit will only see occasional use. Monthly rather than daily.

There is at least 4 Parameters that have to be set to 400Hz not just 1 , there is also a minimum that you have to set
    Yes I understand that but for testing it is the max frequency which sets the V/f ratio and that is what caused my problems. Anyway that is done and finished with now.
    However, you seem to be the guru here on these VFDs and I have some questions which I hope you can help with.
    For 15 years or so I have been using an ABB VFD to drive a mill motor. That VFD is rated at 2.2 kW (the largest 1 to 3 ph VFD that I could find at the time) and originally it drove a 1 hp motor. i changed the motor to 5 hp and occasionally I inadvertently loaded it beyond 2.2 kW and it tripped out as expected. I have very recently got a 4 kW Huanyang device to replace it to run the mill up to 60 Hz and also the 400 Hz spindle that I mentioned. So from time to time I will need to change the settings between the two. The old ABB unit had a macro feature in which I could save various parameter sets. Do you know if this is possible with the Huanyang unit? As others have mentioned the manual is somewhat lacking in explanation, but it shows settings for multiple frequencies without explanation. Are these available for some sort of similar macro feature for rapid change of driven motor? Otherwise it will be tiresome changing numerous parameters each time I change motors.

Downloads
    Uploads

The wire insulation shows no sign of damage so I am hopeful. My unit will only see occasional use. Monthly rather than daily.

Yes I understand that but for testing it is the max frequency which sets the V/f ratio and that is what caused my problems. Anyway that is done and finished with now.
    However, you seem to be the guru here on these VFDs and I have some questions which I hope you can help with.
    For 15 years or so I have been using an ABB VFD to drive a mill motor. That VFD is rated at 2.2 kW (the largest 1 to 3 ph VFD that I could find at the time) and originally it drove a 1 hp motor. i changed the motor to 5 hp and occasionally I inadvertently loaded it beyond 2.2 kW and it tripped out as expected. I have very recently got a 4 kW Huanyang device to replace it to run the mill up to 60 Hz and also the 400 Hz spindle that I mentioned. So from time to time I will need to change the settings between the two. The old ABB unit had a macro feature in which I could save various parameter sets. Do you know if this is possible with the Huanyang unit? As others have mentioned the manual is somewhat lacking in explanation, but it shows settings for multiple frequencies without explanation. Are these available for some sort of similar macro feature for rapid change of driven motor? Otherwise it will be tiresome changing numerous parameters each time I change motors.
    So why did you buy a VFD that is not suitable to do both, why did you buy a single Phase ABB VFD in the first place, you don't need a single Phase VFD because you only have single phase power, you can run any 3phase VFD drive with single phase power, up to what ever your power supply can support

So the answer is no the Huanyang does not have a feature where you can have to separate program profiles, only better quality more expensive VFD Drives offer this a snip below is what you would see if the VFD can have more than ( 1 ) motor profile programed

Yes it would be a pain to have to reset the parameters each time, easiest is to get another VFD for your high speed spindle, with your mill motor you could use the VFD up to 100Hz for your motor this will give you more RPM's

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A look inside a cheap 1.5kW air cooled spindle from AliExpress-second-motor-settings-png  
    Mactec54

So why did you buy a VFD that is not suitable to do both, why did you buy a single Phase ABB VFD in the first place,
    Simply because 15 years ago I got it for a single task. In fact i doubt that the 400 Hz spindles were readily available then. Even if they were, I hadn't heard of them and didn't need one anyway.

you don't need a single Phase VFD because you only have single phase power, you can run any 3phase VFD drive with single phase power, up to what ever your power supply can support
    Strange that a company like ABB saw fit to make the single phase units at that time.

Downloads
    Uploads

Simply because 15 years ago I got it for a single task. In fact i doubt that the 400 Hz spindles were readily available then. Even if they were, I hadn't heard of them and didn't need one anyway.

Strange that a company like ABB saw fit to make the single phase units at that time.
    Almost VFD manufactures make single phase VFD, even back 15 years ago, 400 Hz drives was a standard item for most manufactures also, they go well over 1000Hz now

Spindles where available also, but they where not for the Home Hobby machinist, unless they wanted to spend lots of money

No VFD Drive salesman will offer you a 3ph VFD if they have a single phase that will do the job

What's the max Hz of your ABB VFD as if it does 400Hz then you can use that for your high speed Spindle, if you have the ACS 150 model it will run your spindle

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Not only is going rock bottom cheap a waste of money. It's a waste of time. If you don't already know what's out there and how the items work you can waste months. I spent three months trying to fix a CNC cutter I built years ago. It literally took 3 months to search through all the newer stuff, figure out if it could work, wasted some money on cheap Chinese stuff, and finally bought a fairly inexpensive US made stepper driver and some surplus motors to get it back to working pretty much the way it was but with more torque. While it still works OK I'm planning on spending some time and materials building a brand new on machine to put the electronics on, since the prices of things like ball screws have come down so much I can build something a hundred times better for the same dollars spent years ago.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kafie1980 View Post
    hello everyone,

my bad but my I burned my spindle during my early tests setting up the VFD and i most probably damaged the insulation on the motor windings. My VFD kept shutting down the spindle after a quick run, displaying EOCA error. Yeah, I know I was'nt supposed to run the spindle below 100hz but I was distracted and it happened. the magic smoke appeared and the spindle was too hot to even touch. well I dont feel too bad about it now after what I learned by dismantling it.

I do see several people posting about water cooled spindles but there are rarely any posts showing the internals of a cheap typical round body air cooled spindle from AliExpress.

I bought the spindle from AliExpress and it costed me about US$120 shipped to my door step. It was laying around in a box for over an year before I built the courage to focus on putting together my semi DIY CNC router.

Below is a quick snapshot of the spindle details posted by the seller (i am keeping the sellers details anonymous, they are all the same anyways):

You can read from the item posting above that the seller claims the spindle contains 2 sets of 7002C German Angular Contact bearings. well, you would wish for that price, cause even a set of Chinese made Angular Contact bearings will cost you about US$25 shipped which would mean US$50 ish for 2 sets. Wow, what do the rest of the parts used to make the spindle cost. just imagine, well lets comes back to the bearings a bit later on.

I decided to dismantle my spindle from a perspective that I wanted to have a look inside and see if I can have someone rewind the motor windings for me. I know it will probably cost me more than the spindle to rewind the spindle but I just thought I try and resurrect the spindle.

So with just a few basic hand tools, I didnt even have a vice at hand (all my stuff is still stored in boxes and I havent setup shop yet), screw drivers, hex keys, round nose pliers, some heat, and some elbow grease, I managed to pull it apart.

I didnt really follow the same sequence, but a few things to point out:

- if you start with item No. 1 followed by No. 2, you will encounter the fan that is not shown in this picture because I destroyed it in the process and is probably on my neighbors roof top right now cause I lost my temper (im cool about it now). The fan is a basic direct shaft mounted assembly made of some plastic.

- Item No.10 will be encountered in between item No. 3 and is a LEFT HANDED bolt made of some soft aluminium, with the fan glued to the head. Please remember, LEFT HANDED because this is where I ended up destroying the fan. There is also some thread-lock on the threads but you can carefully heat it up to break the bond.

- Item No. 8 is a press-fit and you will need to carefully drive it out once you finish removing all other items such as the spindle shaft, bearing etc. I just used the wooden handle of a hammer to drive it out from the opposite side.

- Item No. 15 is a lock nut of some some aluminium, the threads have some thread-lock and you will need to heat up the part carefully before you can unscrew it.

Now some observations that I made were:

- The machining work is very good quality, the bearings etc easily slip fit onto the shaft.

- The spindle (Item No. 11) had no grease whatsoever and the spindle shaft had plenty of rust. I initially assumed the spindle overheating may have burned the grease but then again it just burned a few weeks ago and i do not think i would expect such a high rate of oxidation. Item No. 8 was bad rusted towards the inside as well.

- The spindle shaft shows evidences that it has been balanced as we can see balancing drill holes on various sections of the body.

- The spindle enclosure itself is like a aluminium fin extrusion fitting inside a steel round body probably using some heat shrink fit method. Here is top and bottom view of he spindle body also showing the damaged windings:

I know its starting to get boring but I have one more important picture to show, remember I mentioned earlier that sellers on AliExpress claim German Angular Contact Bearings (my seller mentioned 7002C Angular Contact Bearings), these are what my spindle came with:

Yes yes, there are no German angular contact bearings, these are just cheap Chinese made NSK 6002V Deep Groove Ball Bearings. All four bearings are NSK 6002V, no angular contact bearings, no way, hell no.

What a rip off? A Day Light Robbery! I mean even if they were Chinese Angular Contact Bearings, I would have accepted it to some extent.

And then I realized, the NSK 6002V and the NSK 7002C have the same exact dimensions: ID 15mm, OD 32mm and Thickness 9mm. I compared dimensional values off the NSK brochure.

Well with cheap 6002V's this spindle wont last too long and forget the runout precision claims over time. Infact, to add to it, 2 out of 4 of the bearings in my spindle are already sluggish and do not spin freely when compared to each other just running the spindle on and off during tests is just a few days.

By the way, the logo on my spindle body is shown below:

I posted the above information to warn others about the quality issues with these spindles.....

I burned the spindle and its my fault, it has nothing to do with the bearings for now, but the bearings would have caused me more pain in the future, I am not able to claim warranty or return of the item because my purchase was made more than an year ago.

I may not be able to repair this spindle because I am not sure if I can have it rewinded, but i would be very careful buying a spindle from AliExpress again. I have purchased well over a few hundred items off AliExpress but this is the first time I have actually regretted it so much.

cheers,
    kafie1980
    Hello,
    Yesterday i had the same situation with water cooled 1,5kW spindle. Inside it looked exactly like yours. I think this is not rust, it's just effect from the burning of the enameled wires and coating of the coil. I was careful with the setting of parameters of the VFD, but obviously not enough. The drive is ATV320U15M2C and the menu of the drive is very complicated. Whatever, after asking around for some local garage company to rewind it, i decide to rewind it myself. I already purchased another one, but definitely will try to bring this one "alive".
    Anyway, i still think this is the best for the price, but one temperature protection switch inside will not be so expensive

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12