Need Help! Kress remote spindle speed controller

Thread: Kress remote spindle speed controller

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Kress remote spindle speed controller

Hello!

Is there any way to modify the potentiometer in the Kress 1050 FME-1 to have it outside the spindle? I'd like to have the pot close at hand near the PC when I'm running my mill.

Thanks!

Similar Threads:

Default Re: Kress remote spindle speed controller

Old thread I know but I just registered and have a similar "problem".
    If it has a ESC internal then you can use a micro controller with a DAC, like the Teensy 3.2, to output a voltage to the "swipe" pin of the potentiometer. You need to measure the voltage being supplied to the pot. If it's 0-3.3 then you're golden with my solution. I would also check with an oscilloscope the noise seeing as this spindle is a brushed design. If it's clean, then go for it. If there is noise or the pot has a higher voltage range on it's terminals then you could still use a transistor and be careful with scaling of the base current. It won't be linear so some calculations or trial and error will be necessary. This solution can also be opto-isolated to further protect the micro controller. Use a 4N25 or 4N33. If that doesn't float your boat then the last solution I can think of is to use a digital pot. They make them in a couple of flavors. Volatile (cheap) and Non-volatile ($5) where the non-volatile variety will retain their resistance in memory without being powered.
    Hope this helps. If some of it is over your head I will reply with a thread I create addressing this for the Kress 800 and what solution I go with. Trying to PCB mill on a Tormach 440.