Need Help! Burning 2.2 KW Chinese Spindle + Huanyang VFD

Thread: Burning 2.2 KW Chinese Spindle + Huanyang VFD

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Burning 2.2 KW Chinese Spindle + Huanyang VFD

Hello! I have installed a 2.2 kW chinese air-cooled spindle. It is connected to the Huanyang VFD which was sent with the spindle. I have tried different settings for the VFD, however after some seconds running the spindle its gets very (!) hot. The spindle is not touchable by hand after 20 seconds! After 30 seconds there is smoke blowing out of the cooling fan of the spindle. The spindle is running very slow, not more than 120 RPM only. There is no warning shown on the VFD. The current view of the VFD shows 14 A. The spindle is only rated for 220V/10A. I have entered this parameters but it seems they get ignored by the VFD. I dont even understand where that huge amount of power is going to.. It gets all transformed into heat like the spindle is braked anyhow. I don't understand!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Burning 2.2 KW Chinese Spindle + Huanyang VFD

You most likely need a new spindle now.

I have tried different settings for the VFD
    You can't just try different settings. Most of the settings only have one correct option, and if you get it wrong, the spindle can burn up.

My VFD usually shows about 1-1.5 amps when the spindle is running, so you definitely have some settings wrong.

List all of the settings you are using.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Karl-78 View Post
    Hello! I have installed a 2.2 kW chinese air-cooled spindle. It is connected to the Huanyang VFD which was sent with the spindle. I have tried different settings for the VFD, however after some seconds running the spindle its gets very (!) hot. The spindle is not touchable by hand after 20 seconds! After 30 seconds there is smoke blowing out of the cooling fan of the spindle. The spindle is running very slow, not more than 120 RPM only. There is no warning shown on the VFD. The current view of the VFD shows 14 A. The spindle is only rated for 220V/10A. I have entered this parameters but it seems they get ignored by the VFD. I dont even understand where that huge amount of power is going to.. It gets all transformed into heat like the spindle is braked anyhow. I don't understand!
    You have set incorrect Parameters, But if you have smoke then the damage has already been done here are the correct Parameters that must be set

Huanyang Mactec54
    PD000=0 for Parameter unlock ( 1 ) for Parameter Lock

PD001=0 (1 For Remote Control)

PD002=0 ( 1 For 0-10v Terminal Control or Remote Trim Pot Control )

( J1 Also Needs to be set for Terminal Control )

PD003=400

PD004=400

PD005=400

PD007=20

PD008=220 (Motor Rated Voltage, If you have 120v spindle then set to 120v )

PD009=15

PD010=8

PD011=200 ( 100 Minimum Setting with Quality VFD, 120 is Safe For Air Cooled 200 )

PD13= 08 is for Factory reset, Only use this to set VFD to Factory Default Settings

PD014 Acceleration=12 ( Adjust to suit)

PD015 Deceleration=12 (Adjust to suit)

( PD15 is ignored IF PD26=1 Then the Spindle will Coast to a Stop)

PD141=220 ( Motor Rated Voltage ) (120 for VFD Rated for 120v )

PD142=9 ( Motor Max Amps)

PD143=2 ( Motor Number of Poles)

PD144=3000 (Max Motor RPM) =3,000= (24,000)

PD70=0 ( This may need to be set to 1 if Control Voltage is 0-5v )

PD72=400

PD73=200 ( Air cooled Spindle)

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Burning 2.2 KW Chinese Spindle + Huanyang VFD

I have used the settings detailed by mactech54 on my Huanyang Inverter. I am using it for a 2.2k air cooled spindle and my settings would be the same. Nevertheless when I run my spindle it overheats quickly. Depending on speed it can heat up to where its almost burning your hand at higher rpms. I am beginning to think that these inverters just are not up for the job as I have searched the internet over for a solution to this problem. With the settings that Machtech54 gave for PD008 at 120, it causes my vfd to give an over current error on ramp up and I have a 30 second ramp up time programmed in.

I have contacted the vendor at automation technology where I purchased this inverter and asking them for help as well. Nevertheless with where things stand my level of frustration and the amount of time wasted on simply trying to get this to work has caused me to shop around for another vfd. I would prefer to get this one working. Yet I am trying to run a spindle not boil water.

My spindle is 2.2k 8amp 24000 rpm. If anyone has any idea on what can be done to have this vfd work please do let me know. As for my present settings, look at Machtech54's post and mine mirrors his exactly. Any help would be appreciated as I am now at a loss as to where to go or what to change in its settings.

Downloads
    Uploads

With the settings that Machtech54 gave for PD008 at 120
    Did you mean 220? Or do you have a 120V spindle?

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by acroflyer View Post
    I have used the settings detailed by mactech54 on my Huanyang Inverter. I am using it for a 2.2k air cooled spindle and my settings would be the same. Nevertheless when I run my spindle it overheats quickly. Depending on speed it can heat up to where its almost burning your hand at higher rpms. I am beginning to think that these inverters just are not up for the job as I have searched the internet over for a solution to this problem. With the settings that Machtech54 gave for PD008 at 120, it causes my vfd to give an over current error on ramp up and I have a 30 second ramp up time programmed in.

I have contacted the vendor at automation technology where I purchased this inverter and asking them for help as well. Nevertheless with where things stand my level of frustration and the amount of time wasted on simply trying to get this to work has caused me to shop around for another vfd. I would prefer to get this one working. Yet I am trying to run a spindle not boil water.

My spindle is 2.2k 8amp 24000 rpm. If anyone has any idea on what can be done to have this vfd work please do let me know. As for my present settings, look at Machtech54's post and mine mirrors his exactly. Any help would be appreciated as I am now at a loss as to where to go or what to change in its settings.

Another VFD is not going to solve your problem, unless it is faulty, it sounds like you don't have the correct parameters set, 30 on ramp up is incorrect so something is wrong

If it would only run to 120 RPM then you don't have the main Parameters set, this is why you are seeing smoke and have most likely damaged both VFD and Spindle

I did not give you 120 for PD008, please read what is posted

What I posted is PD008=220 (Motor Rated Voltage, If you have 120v spindle then set to 120v ) which is correct

What voltage is your spindle 220v or 120v this parameter has to be set to what your spindle voltage is, if you spindle is 220v then 120v would be incorrect

Is your spindle running the right direction, if the fan is going the wrong way it will not cool the spindle correctly, how do you have it wired

Mactec54

We have all the setting on our website for our spindle and VFD or you can call us for help

https://www.automationtechnologiesin...lling-spindle/

https://www.automationtechnologiesin...ndle/kl-vfd22/

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by automationtechinc View Post
    We have all the setting on our website for our spindle and VFD or you can call us for help

https://www.automationtechnologiesin...lling-spindle/

https://www.automationtechnologiesin...ndle/kl-vfd22/
    You should copy my Parameter List what you have on your web site, are not all correct

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Okay so after some checking... Im the idiot .

Props to Automation Technology for getting back to me even on a holiday.

What was confusing me with the heating issue was that by all appearances the spindle was functioning properly and no error codes were on the vfd. Yet in the process of this it hit my mind to check the pins of the spindle with a multimeter. It looks like I lost a phase and the spindle is shot. Most likely I did this on the initial setup. I dont mind paying for my mistakes I can live with that. Off to shop for a new spindle.

Edit to give more data:
    Spindle ohm check
    pins 1 to 2 = 2.7 ohms
    pins 2 to 3 = 1 ohm (so yeah I smoked it)
    pins 3 to 1 = 2.9 ohms

So here is a question for Machtech. When I plug in the value of 120 for pd011 something interesting happens. I use linuxcnc and with that program you click a button and the spindle just takes off headed for max rpm. Yet linuxcnc has buttons to slow the rpm rate yet when I would click that nothing would happen. Also the vfd would trip showing an over current error. Now the over current obviously may be due to the fact the spindle is shot. Nevertheless my concern is within being able to control the spindle speed via linuxcnc.

Can pd011 be set to a lower value say to set the speed at 8000 rpm and then perhaps I could regain control via linuxcnc? Or... could I simply leave that value at 0 and knowing that the minimum rpm is 8000 simply start the spindle and then bump my spindle at speed via the program to the range the spindle likes and everything be okay?

Some of the confusion I have right now is where the hardware needs meets the desires of what I need out of software control from my controller. Any input you have on this idea or from others would help.

Thanks

Last edited by acroflyer; 05-28-2018 at 04:35 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Those air-cooled spindles depend on an internal fan to provide cooling. Since they're designed to run at high RPMs (8000 is the slowest speed they should be run at) running it super slow (120 RPM) doesn't provide the cooling it needs. They have almost no torque at that speed, and will burn up.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Another VFD is not going to solve your problem, unless it is faulty, it sounds like you don't have the correct parameters set, 30 on ramp up is incorrect so something is wrong

If it would only run to 120 RPM then you don't have the main Parameters set, this is why you are seeing smoke and have most likely damaged both VFD and Spindle

I did not give you 120 for PD008, please read what is posted

What I posted is PD008=220 (Motor Rated Voltage, If you have 120v spindle then set to 120v ) which is correct

What voltage is your spindle 220v or 120v this parameter has to be set to what your spindle voltage is, if you spindle is 220v then 120v would be incorrect

Is your spindle running the right direction, if the fan is going the wrong way it will not cool the spindle correctly, how do you have it wired
    Indeed you are correct. Late night typo on my part. The value for 008 is 220 and that was correct in my vfd, just not in my fingers here on screen.

As for the wiring 1 to U, 2 to V, 3 to W and that is confirmed on both ends of the wire to make sure nothing was swapped by accident when hooking up. But this note brings up a question. You say that if the spindle is not running in the right direction the fan will be going the wrong way and it will not cool the spindle properly. Since I have to get another spindle should I consider water cooled? That would help avoid the direction issue.

As for the vfd, by appearances it seems to be fine. As per the rep with Automation Technology I unplugged the spindle and ran the vfd via linuxcnc and there were no apparent issues in its communication or function. Is there another way to verify if it would need to be replaced as well?

You are accurate in that originally I did not have the proper parameters set. Thus the issue of things not working now. Parts can be replaced. I dont mind paying for the education as we all do or have at some point. Yet you state that the values you have are more accurate than on the webpage at the vendor. The guys over at LinuxCNC forum also thought some of the values there seemed to be low. Specifically pd007, pd009 and pd010 look low.

I am new but learning. I am curious about pd011 and its interaction with linuxcnc though. I will wait to see if you have thoughts on that from my earlier post.

Downloads
    Uploads

Okay so after some checking... Im the idiot .

Props to Automation Technology for getting back to me even on a holiday.

What was confusing me with the heating issue was that by all appearances the spindle was functioning properly and no error codes were on the vfd. Yet in the process of this it hit my mind to check the pins of the spindle with a multimeter. It looks like I lost a phase and the spindle is shot. Most likely I did this on the initial setup. I dont mind paying for my mistakes I can live with that. Off to shop for a new spindle.

Edit to give more data:
    Spindle ohm check
    pins 1 to 2 = 2.7 ohms
    pins 2 to 3 = 1 ohm (so yeah I smoked it)
    pins 3 to 1 = 2.9 ohms

So here is a question for Machtech. When I plug in the value of 120 for pd011 something interesting happens. I use linuxcnc and with that program you click a button and the spindle just takes off headed for max rpm. Yet linuxcnc has buttons to slow the rpm rate yet when I would click that nothing would happen. Also the vfd would trip showing an over current error. Now the over current obviously may be due to the fact the spindle is shot. Nevertheless my concern is within being able to control the spindle speed via linuxcnc.

Can pd011 be set to a lower value say to set the speed at 8000 rpm and then perhaps I could regain control via linuxcnc? Or... could I simply leave that value at 0 and knowing that the minimum rpm is 8000 simply start the spindle and then bump my spindle at speed via the program to the range the spindle likes and everything be okay?

Some of the confusion I have right now is where the hardware needs meets the desires of what I need out of software control from my controller. Any input you have on this idea or from others would help.

Thanks
    What method are you controlling it with LinuxCNC, you should have it running from the VFD control Pad before you try to do a remote control with LinuxCNC

PD011 set at 100 is 6,000 RPM this the minimum speed for a water cooled spindle, I recommend never below 120, for your air cooled it would depend how hot it gets, different manufactures have different fans so you never know unless you try, some say they go as low as 6,000 RPM for the air cooled but I know they will be over heating inside at that speed, most manufactures say not be low 12,000 RPM for these air cooled spindles

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

If you have a round spindle, the fan is not really a fan, but more of an impeller, and should not be directional. So I don't believe that it will cool differently running in the opposite direction.
    If the spindle is setup improperly, then no fan is going to keep it from burning up. Neither is water cooling.

I have run two spindles from my VFD, using the factory settings as specified in the manual, with no issues.
    PD007 = .50
    PD009 = 13
    PD010 = 6.5

While testing, I've had PD011 set to 100 and it runs fine with no load, and doesn't get hot. BUt it probably doesn't have much torque at that speed, and if you overload it, you could cause damage. So I'd recommend setting it to 130.

It sounds like you need to learn how spindle control in LinuxCNC works, and set it up properly. I've never used it, so can't offer any help there.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    What method are you controlling it with LinuxCNC, you should have it running from the VFD control Pad before you try to do a remote control with LinuxCNC

PD011 set at 100 is 6,000 RPM this the minimum speed for a water cooled spindle, I recommend never below 120, for your air cooled it would depend how hot it gets, different manufactures have different fans so you never know unless you try, some say they go as low as 6,000 RPM for the air cooled but I know they will be over heating inside at that speed, most manufactures say not be low 12,000 RPM for these air cooled spindles
    Ahhh good to know that I need to have it running on its own before trying with Linuxcnc. Yet I am using a rs485 usb for a connection. I know that the spindle being busted is a huge part of the problem. Nevertheless when it was speeding up, before the over voltage error, the pyvcp panel for speed control was unresponsive, as in it was not registering the ramp up speed. By ignoring the pd011 and having it set to 0 in the vfd it would register the speeds I set it at and the spindle at speed led would show its status red/green as you would normally see it.

With pd011 set as you defined here at 120 at the main axis panel I could start and stop with no problem yet the speed control was not responsive. I was just surprised that one setting in the vfd would create such a difference. The problem was that the spindle would never reach its speed. Also you stated that 100 is 6000 rpms, when it was set to 120 it would ramp up like it was preparing to drill a hole to china and return to the mother country.

Im taking all of these issues with a grain of salt considering I am watching busted equipment trying to run. It could be the vfd is shot as well thus the irregular activity. Ive already decided to get a new vfd as well. No point in not getting one when things are in question.

As long as I can get Linuxcnc to read the speed with pd011 as it should and display it in the pyvcp widget and then have speed control as I should then its all good to go. Next time around I will do as you suggested and get things running outside of linux first and then work my way into that and solve the issues in pieces rather than the whole.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    If you have a round spindle, the fan is not really a fan, but more of an impeller, and should not be directional. So I don't believe that it will cool differently running in the opposite direction.
    If the spindle is setup improperly, then no fan is going to keep it from burning up. Neither is water cooling.

I have run two spindles from my VFD, using the factory settings as specified in the manual, with no issues.
    PD007 = .50
    PD009 = 13
    PD010 = 6.5

While testing, I've had PD011 set to 100 and it runs fine with no load, and doesn't get hot. BUt it probably doesn't have much torque at that speed, and if you overload it, you could cause damage. So I'd recommend setting it to 130.

It sounds like you need to learn how spindle control in LinuxCNC works, and set it up properly. I've never used it, so can't offer any help there.
    Basic spindle control in Linuxcnc is as basic as you hitting the power button to turn on your computer. When you lose that something is wrong. This is an area that you should never have to toy around with. Now the pyvcp widgets are another story. I could definitely see how I would have to do some adjusting in the ini or hal files or in python and so on to pick up what the vfd could be doing depending on how I set things up in the vfd. Yet the Huanyang VFD has a driver prebuilt into linuxcnc so there is nothing to compile or build so the communication through a rs485 happens once you set the necessary pd values and baud rates accordingly.

It will obviously be easier to debug once I have a properly working vfd and spindle. Yet thus far it is my present observations with what I have on hand at the moment.

Downloads
    Uploads

You obviously have other settings wrong, or a bad VFD.
    PD011 should only limit the minimum speed, and have no affect on anything else.

Normally, PD011 would be used to prevent the software from trying to run the spindle slower than PD011 is set.

It sounds like the LinuxCNC code reads the spindle parameters and uses them for it's settings? That makes it even more important to get the VFD settings correct.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    You obviously have other settings wrong, or a bad VFD.
    PD011 should only limit the minimum speed, and have no affect on anything else.

Normally, PD011 would be used to prevent the software from trying to run the spindle slower than PD011 is set.

It sounds like the LinuxCNC code reads the spindle parameters and uses them for it's settings? That makes it even more important to get the VFD settings correct.
    Absolutely. Once set properly it can be idiot proof for the most part... except for the idiot behind the setup being me LOL!!! The initial values in the vfd is where I went wrong pertaining to pd003 - 5. The frequency is what caused the issue with the spindle.

What you said about pd011 would make sense about how things should run. So because of what happened with those settings it would make sense that this also caused issues with the vfd itself as well and I better replace it as I had decided to do in order to be safe. At the time of me setting the parameters "correctly" came after my earlier blunder. What fooled me was that until playing with pd011 things looked normal to me except the overheating. Tracing that down led me to here.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ahhh good to know that I need to have it running on its own before trying with Linuxcnc. Yet I am using a rs485 usb for a connection. I know that the spindle being busted is a huge part of the problem. Nevertheless when it was speeding up, before the over voltage error, the pyvcp panel for speed control was unresponsive, as in it was not registering the ramp up speed. By ignoring the pd011 and having it set to 0 in the vfd it would register the speeds I set it at and the spindle at speed led would show its status red/green as you would normally see it.

With pd011 set as you defined here at 120 at the main axis panel I could start and stop with no problem yet the speed control was not responsive. I was just surprised that one setting in the vfd would create such a difference. The problem was that the spindle would never reach its speed. Also you stated that 100 is 6000 rpms, when it was set to 120
    LinuxCNC and Modbus has a easy setup here is a Video of what you have to do, I'm sure there are other videos as well

Yes setup the VFD first and then connect to your remote source PD011=120 would of had a minimum speed of around 7200 RPM, which could be too low for a air cooled Spindle

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    Those air-cooled spindles depend on an internal fan to provide cooling. Since they're designed to run at high RPMs (8000 is the slowest speed they should be run at) running it super slow (120 RPM) doesn't provide the cooling it needs. They have almost no torque at that speed, and will burn up.
    Most manufactures recommend they run at 12000 RPM as minimum speed, some use 18,000 RPM as the slowest speed, 8,000 RPM can be too slow, some run them at 6,000 RPM the same as the water cooled Spindles it all depends on what the spindle is doing as to how hot it will get, and if the Parameters have been set correct

Mactec54