Need Help! Huanyang VFD RS485 issue

Thread: Huanyang VFD RS485 issue

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Huanyang VFD RS485 issue

I got a HuanYang VFD set up on my wood working cnc. I am trying to connect it to Linux CNC, and think I got it properly configured. I enabled debug in the hy_vfd component, and when linuxcnc comes up, I see a flow of commands to the VFD, but it errors out. No response. When I put a scope on the TX+ line, I clearly see a signal going to the VFD, and I get a response back.. but the signal looks trashy. I have an image of it

Huanyang VFD RS485 issue-hantek36_6-png

The cable length is about 12 feet, and I am driving it with one of those cheap RS232 - RS422 converters.

I configured it for 9600 Baud, won't go faster till I can make this work. I read a lot of posts here, but can't find anything similar.. or I missed it.

Any hints? Thanks.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Huanyang VFD RS485 issue

Hi there,
    I'm not an expert on this subject, but i know a few things... i am trying to control my vfd directly on it's terminals (relay and vi speed variation)
    In your case you have to configure the vfd settings pd001 and pd002 must be set to 2
    Also the little jumper near the vfd terminals (right side of terminals) must be set on VI instead of VR
    Another thing you must configure is baud rate on vfd settings... i don't know the pd number see owners's manual...
    Then the pc should "talk" to vfd...
    Hope this helps you

In my case it took me 3 days to diagnose the problem... the wiring was good, mach 3 settings good, but when instart the spindle it starts then it stops right away and mach3 says "limit switch triggered"
    I think its related to the 5v rail... very strange anyway...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by shipmodeller View Post
    I got a HuanYang VFD set up on my wood working cnc. I am trying to connect it to Linux CNC, and think I got it properly configured. I enabled debug in the hy_vfd component, and when linuxcnc comes up, I see a flow of commands to the VFD, but it errors out. No response. When I put a scope on the TX+ line, I clearly see a signal going to the VFD, and I get a response back.. but the signal looks trashy. I have an image of it

The cable length is about 12 feet, and I am driving it with one of those cheap RS232 - RS422 converters.

I configured it for 9600 Baud, won't go faster till I can make this work. I read a lot of posts here, but can't find anything similar.. or I missed it.

Any hints? Thanks.
    I'm not familiar with linuxcnc at all but can probably help with controlling your HY VFD via Modbus. What are you using to send these "flow of commands"?

Dan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

All of the baud settings and parity and bit settings are correct. 9600 Baud, 1 stop 8 bits, No parity.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Dan911 View Post
    I'm not familiar with linuxcnc at all but can probably help with controlling your HY VFD via Modbus. What are you using to send these "flow of commands"?

Dan
    LinuxCNC provides a hy_vfd driver built in. So, I just have to load it up, The code is pushing out 8 bits, 9600 Baud , No parity and 1 stop . I do not believe it is a coding issue. I think the line isn't terminated correctly. I am driving it with an RS232 to RS422 converter. The signal look sbad during the time that the MODBUS get s tri-stated waiting for reply from the VFD. The voltage swing should be enough to trigger a response, but it doesn't. I hot wired the signals as a test, that TX to the RX in....at the converter// and that worked, obviosly wrong. We are trying for a two wire MODBUS here.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by shipmodeller View Post

Any hints? Thanks.

How do you wired the mains of the vfd? Are they common with anything else from cnc?
    Huanyang vfd's are very "noisy" and the can cause problems inside your hardware... try to wire the mains separately, and use another wall socket (on a different wall)
    I solved my communication problem with the vfd just by doing this... in my case mach3 was showing "limit swith triggered" each time wen i was turning on the spindle... everything was stopped at this point

it worth a shot

Ps: i bet this will solve your problem

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by doc`` View Post
    How do you wired the mains of the vfd? Are they common with anything else from cnc?
    Huanyang vfd's are very "noisy" and the can cause problems inside your hardware... try to wire the mains separately, and use another wall socket (on a different wall)
    I solved my communication problem with the vfd just by doing this... in my case mach3 was showing "limit swith triggered" each time wen i was turning on the spindle... everything was stopped at this point

it worth a shot

Ps: i bet this will solve your problem
    Mains are isolated. Main system runs on 220V, the CPU runs on 110V. Two very isolated systems. BUT, I will research this line of reasoning.

I had a problem with communications between the Huanyang 2.2 KW inverter and the Mach 3, I discovered that there had to be a connection between DCM (digital common) on the inverter and the PC, once that was established everything worked as it should. Although communications work on 2 wire, the reference point is apparently the common ground.

Downloads
    Uploads

I need help, I have HY VFD and cant get it to work reliable and control the motor properly with Mach3, I am using the RS485 connector
    If I just switch to a TECO or other VFD will it correct the chronic issues experienced with the HY VFD,
    Example: I was trying to calibrate the spindle and never got it to work now the system is not working well RPM on Mach3 says 1000 and the spindle is going 2600

Downloads
    Uploads

Probably not. If you can't get the huanyang to work properly, then you most likely have some settings wrong.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)