DIY ATC high speed steel spindle help

Thread: DIY ATC high speed steel spindle help

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default DIY ATC high speed steel spindle help

I am in the process of building a cnc machine and I have everything figured out and almost built except the spindle. Currently im using a router as a temporary spindle however I want to make a 5kw or larger, and 50,000rpm or faster ATC spindle for high speed steel cutting. Purchasing a spindle with those specs would cost me thousands, while a 5kw brushless motor costs $200. However when searching online I couldn't find anyone else who tried something similar, only diy spindles for wood cutting and very slowly on aluminum. However they used far far smaller motors (500w, etc) so I wanted to check with you guys if there may be any concerns or additional info you can share.

I am interested in either one of these motors
    LEOPARD 5682 1090KV Motor 200A Brushless ESC Water Cooling Fit 0.9M to 1.5M boat | eBay
    40,000rpm 5.5kw

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/1-5th-br...tor-780kv.html
    25,000rpm 7.5kw

The two cost the same (with the ESC controller) but would it be better to have higher RPM or higher torque/KW. Or get the 7.5kw and increase its RPM through a pulley?
    Since high speed cnc spindles operate around 60,000 rpm it wouldn't matter which one I get due to both requiring a pulley system. But what do you think?

source: Datron CNC Spindles | Datron High Speed CNC Machines

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: DIY ATC high speed steel spindle help

I can't help you with spindle choices, but I am curious about what tool bits you are going to be using that will cut steel at 50,000 RPM. Also curious about your machine in general, sounds pretty cool.

I have engraved steel at 50,000 RPM, but the solid carbide tool tip dia was only 0.005'' and cutting about 0.010 deep. And was using a high speed air grinder for a spindle, not a 5KW spindle motor.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: DIY ATC high speed steel spindle help

I would be using HSS or carbide insert tool bits, depending on the material and application obviously. The machine is currently made from V slot aluminum extrusions with steel wheels however ill be changing that to a square steel for the rails due to the difference in hardness creating premature wear. Otherwise its very sturdy and has been great in cutting aluminum and ive done some mild tests on steel. The only limiter is the spindle which is why I want to upgrade it.