Problem 11 H.P. Colombo/Euro spindle that forgets it has a tool in place

Thread: 11 H.P. Colombo/Euro spindle that forgets it has a tool in place

Downloads
    Uploads

Default 11 H.P. Colombo/Euro spindle that forgets it has a tool in place

Hi all
    I have a problem with a 11 Hp. Colombo / Eurospindle. The problem started just after Christmas this year when every now & then the machine would do a tool change and then hang with an error showing tool not loaded ?? After releasing and then closing the clamps a few times it would eventually recognise that the tool was loaded and then continue until the next tool change where it would hang again with the same error.

So , sent the spindle away for refurbishment as it`s now over 10 years old. Had the taper re chromed and ground and the puller springs replaced and new bearings etc it was tested at the refurb plant and returned to me. All was well for about a week when the tool not loaded error returned and gradually worsened until it would just hang. The only thing to do was to turn it off.

Back to the refurb plant who tested the pull on the springs and replaced them with stronger springs and repalced the Prox sensors , tested it (250 cycles without incedent ) and returned it to me . Re installed the spindle , ran fine for a week then the error returned and no amount of in & out would make it register a loaded tool !!!

Oddly , with the tool removed the chuck will show that it`s closed . The moment there is a tool in place it won`t close. I`ve tried different tool holders ( A choice of 30 or so with no difference ). It seems as though that as the spindle warms up the problem worsens. If it is left hanging for a few hours it can sometimes show closed chuck and then it will cycle until the next tool change.

The spindle is , as I type , away again at the refurb shop. They say that the only thing it can possibly be is the circuit board inside the spindle . Not beyond the realms of possibility I guess but what i am wondering is , if when the shaft was re ground did they get the taper right ? Could this close up as the spindle warms up to the point where it doesn`t pull the tool holder far enough in to trigger the prox sensor ?

All very perplexing and a machine that has been down for three months so far this year not making any money.
    Does anyone have any suggestions , something i`ve missed or something that the refurb company ought to have thought of ?

Thanks in advance