Need Help! smooth stepper-C6 board-3kw spindle and vfd

Thread: smooth stepper-C6 board-3kw spindle and vfd

Downloads
    Uploads

Default smooth stepper-C6 board-3kw spindle and vfd

just got my cnc router put together and got all of my wiring finished. I have everything working as it should except the spindle. ive tried everything I know to try to get it working. ive read the manual on the ESS and the c6. I'm sure I have a setting off somewhere throwing it out of wack. I have a ESS, c10s breakout board, c6 spindle control, a 3kw spindle and huanyang VFD. with most everything ive tried, I can get the relay to switch on but not back off. even with it on and I raise or lower the rpm via mach3 the voltage doesn't change as it should. if anyone has a similar setup or could help me with the mach3 settings I would greatly appreciate it. if there is any other info needed just let me know.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: smooth stepper-C6 board-3kw spindle and vfd

ive been messing with this again today. still getting no where. ive sent emails to the cnc4pc guys, the smooth stepper guys for help. haven't received any replies from anyone. I'm stuck. if anyone at all could shed a little light on this I would greatly appreciate it. the output max step freq of the smooth stepper will not go any lower than 32khz. the c6 board is expecting no more than 25khz. I don't know if there is a work around for that. I have ran across threads where people are using this same setup. I just cant find any config information. I'm pretty confident the wiring is ok. its the just settings in mach3 and the smooth stepper config I'm lost on.

Downloads
    Uploads

Do you have the Smoothstepper plugin set to output PWM for the spindle? That is required be for the C6 board can output the analog voltage. I had those exact boards before I switched to the MB2 board and the ESS

Russ

Downloads
    Uploads

no I had it set to step/dir. when I change the ess config to pwm mode. what value do I put in for the base hz? or just a rough value to start from. thank you very much, this puts me one step closer. I'm going to change those settings and give it a try. ill report back in a few.

Downloads
    Uploads

ok now I'm getting some sensible readings from the multi meter. if I could get the base hz setting that its supposed to be set at I may be in business. I set it to 100 just to try. another issue I have, when I give the m3 command the spindle relay turns on as it should. but then I hit m5 to turn the spindle off and it doesn't. only way I can turn the relay off is by hitting the e stop

Downloads
    Uploads

and my output voltage of the c6 is staying pretty constant no matter what the rpm at about 2.2v. now the input voltage is adjusting up and down depending on rpm. not sure if that in turn has to do with the base hz or the motor tuning inputs. I'm very greatful man 2 days ive been searching and trying different things.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think the manual on the ESS provides the suggested Frequency, but I will go to the shop later today and check what I have mine set to and let you know. When you press M3 should should hear relays click and when you press M5 you should also hear relays click. Check you Mach configuration under spindle and make sure you have it check to control using relays, also make sure you have the right pins for the relays populated in that section.

Russ

Downloads
    Uploads

sorry ive been working crazy hours and haven't had a chance to check back in. did you ever get a chance to look at your settings? ive went over the ports and pins several times. switching different ports and different output pins on each port. with the same result. I'm getting a good signal from the ESS. its outputting 0-5v when I vary the rpm in mach. but on the other hand, I cannot turn the relay off once I trigger it on unless I hit e-stop or go back into ports and pins and when I exit it will turn its self off. I'm getting a signal to the dir pin which is the one that should be triggering the relay. when I hit m3 the dir pin goes high to 5v. when I hit m5 to turn the spindle off, the dir stays high. on the output side of the c6 board I cannot get more than 2.2 volts. I thought maybe the board was just set to low and I turned the dial up that tunes in your voltage, it maxes out at 3.2v. so I turned it back down apparently that wasn't it. I'm getting 12v power into the c6 board. I'm totally lost. maybe this board is faulty? ive messaged the guy at cnc4pc, still waiting for a reply back. I replied back to andy with smooth stepper, surely we can get all this sorted out. do you know if a VFD will accept a pwm signal to vary the rpm? I know I can set my VFD to 0-10 or 0-5v. if I set it to 0-5v could I just do away with the c6 board? run the signal though a relay and use the 0-5v directly from the SS to control the VFD?

Downloads
    Uploads

The ESS should be set to output PWM it normally gets converter to analog voltage on the C6 board which sends it to the VFD. Sorry I had to catch a flight o did not get a chance to get to the shop

Russ