Need Help! Spindle replacement

Thread: Spindle replacement

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Spindle replacement

Hi,

I have a Merchant Dice machine which runs well and is ideal for me to learn on. Problem is the Kress router which came with the machine has burnt out/stopped working after only a few hours of operation. I've read that this is a common problem with these routers so need to upgrade. I don't have much technical nohow but am thinking a watercooled chinese spindle capable of cutiing both wood (primarily) and soft metals where needed.

Any advice is very much appreciated as to where/who to buy from.

I have had a look on both ebay and Amazon but not really sure what would be best to use with my machine.

I realise I will require a new spindle mount, pump etc so any help with links to these as well would be most helpful.

I should mention, I am using the machine to cut out guitar bodies primarily.

Thanks in advance

Neil

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Spindle replacement

I think a good quality 800 watt watercooled spindle kit can do the job well sir, >>> https://www.aliexpress.com/item/0-8k...8.4.106.Mw6LaX

You can buy it on amazon or ebay, or straight to alibaba itself, I just remember in my high school days I made my very first electric guitar too, the body is from a broken ironing board from our neighbor, I cut it to have a fish tail, cut a plexi glass on the inner switch board, with a very limited funds I just rewind my own pick-ups using AWG # 38 magnet wires, because I cannot buy a pick-up kit, it`s too much for a student allowance on those years, the fretboard is the hardest part because it had some calculations (trade secret as they say) on the 13th fret so I let somebody work on it to have a perfect calibrated cuts on the fretboard (26 frets) bought a chrome tuning knobs on a local guitar store, by and by it comes to life just in time on our class presentation in our school, and it`s a total bummer because the theme of the presenation is ethnic then me as a background guitarist look like kirk hammett (metallica) on a black fish tail designed electric guitar playing an ethnic song on a high tech stance, I got nothing but a huge crowd of classmates laughing at me, (what is he doing, is he fu-ckin crazy?) embarrasement 2%, overconfidence 98% I mean I dont really care on what they think of me at that moment, I just wanna finish the presentation and get out of the stage quickly, im only after my grade, not their nonsense teasing I even make my own guitar effects and guitar amplifier on those years.

So ya so much for an out topic talks, on making guitars thru CNC, I use an 800 watt almost everyday on planing hardwood sir, I use a 2 flute 1/4 shank router bit as planer.

On wooden materials you can code it the usual way (any way you want) but on metals 24K rpm spindles gets tricky because you need to consider the metal hardness, coolant used, and bit design, use a smaller bit if you can on working with metals, and one more thing on a 24K spindle you dont need much of a flute, a single flute carbide bit can do it due to it`s higher RPM, any multi flute bit can and will over stress the spindle on working metals.

I really wanna build again an electric guitar again , I`ved done it by just using a primitive tools @ such a young age, Yep I wanna try it again this time Favorite bands (Metallica, Pantera, Sepultura, Korn ) rock and roll lifestyle again hehehe

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spindle replacement-1-jpg   Spindle replacement-20170324_090758-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks so much for the advice, I'm pretty new to cnc, a friend at work helped me set the machine up and started me on the path with vectric and mach 3. I was just at the point where I've done a few inlays, v carves etc and wanted to carve out a guitar body and the spindle died. I'll also have to go through he process of setting up the new spindle I guess but that's a different problem again

Maybe it was trying to cut metals with the Kress that burnt it out

Neil

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lawdayinst View Post
    Thanks so much for the advice, I'm pretty new to cnc, a friend at work helped me set the machine up and started me on the path with vectric and mach 3. I was just at the point where I've done a few inlays, v carves etc and wanted to carve out a guitar body and the spindle died. I'll also have to go through he process of setting up the new spindle I guess but that's a different problem again

Maybe it was trying to cut metals with the Kress that burnt it out

Neil
    anyways sir, what type of guitar that you want to make? I think I can help you with the coding vectric cannot do it alone for sure on custom made / shaped bodies of an electric guitar.

about your present spindle is it making smoke? or just throwing codes? maybe you can repair it with just minor parts replacement, can you post pictures on it?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by KH0UJ View Post
    anyways sir, what type of guitar that you want to make? I think I can help you with the coding vectric cannot do it alone for sure on custom made / shaped bodies of an electric guitar.

about your present spindle is it making smoke? or just throwing codes? maybe you can repair it with just minor parts replacement, can you post pictures on it?
    That's a very kind offer thankyou so much!

The Kress isn't smoking but it tends to either not start or suddenly stops mid work.

I believe one of the spindles you recommend may work better anyway for the kind of thing I have in mind.

This is the kind of thing I have in mind for bodies

Neil

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'll probably start with something like an SG copy and work up to something with a curved top such as a Les Paul. I can hand carve the necks pretty quickly so would be great to have the cnc going and carving out the bodies at the same time.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is my current router/spindle

Kress Elektrowerkzeuge: 800 FME : Power tools

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lawdayinst View Post
    I'll probably start with something like an SG copy and work up to something with a curved top such as a Les Paul. I can hand carve the necks pretty quickly so would be great to have the cnc going and carving out the bodies at the same time.
    Can I search for your video directly on youtube sir? I do think it`s per countries` restriction, for some reason I cannot see your video on my browser.

I can make a CAM work on all the parts of the guitar sir all you have to do is just load the precut wood then let your CNC do all the job for you, it doesnt matter if it`s inclined (tuning knob area) I can CAM it front and back, so after the front CNC work, you just flip the wood material then start phase 2, simple as that, I can even copy sophisticated wooden models made by high end CNC`s like this

It`s the same exact replica on a 38 caliber pistol grips made by altamont factory, with a different front carve design of course to avoid law suits hehehe, dimensions are all very exact since I need to copy it precisely because I have no 38 gun to fit on it for testing, as you can see I have a different machine pattern on their product, but the measurements are all the same (0.01mm). it`s basically the same on making guitar arms, all you need to do is manual drill the inclined tuning knob holes because the spindle cannot bore a hole in an angle not unless you have a 5 axis CNC

a 24 minute per pair is not bad enough and mass producing thousands of it in a month on the 4 CNC machines.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spindle replacement-capture018-jpg   Spindle replacement-20170323_164257-jpg   Spindle replacement-20170323_164314-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Ohh i`ved seen the video sir his idea on flipping the material is OK but it`s even more simpler if you use the CNC spindle itself to align the the material after flipping it. I only need 2 holes, then I can point the 1/8 blank bit to that hole then move the spindle itself to the second hole and aligning it to be perfect parallel on the other side, that`s how I aligned all 32 models of revolver handles, just 2 holes, I made that holes on the CNC table itself then moving the Y axis on the second hole anywhere in the precut material, quite simple and less hassle question is when do you start sir? can you give me a sample body that you want to make or design? I mean I can copy his work with same exact measurements on everything in just just 2 hours of CAM work with a different machine patterns and @ an acelerated spindle speeds, but that`s considered piracy? I guess hehehe, post your sample guitar body sir, measurements and all the details, let me do the CAM work for you

Downloads
    Uploads

Spindle replacement-1-jpg

My personal Favorite Im gonna do the CAM work now for my own guitar body

Spindle replacement-2-jpg

Simple and Classic

Spindle replacement-3-jpg

Enthusiast, classic, High Definition

Spindle replacement-4-jpg

Elegant, Prestige

So which one of these sir?