Need Help! 3.7KW Spindle problem

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 3.7KW Spindle problem

Downloads
    Uploads

Question 3.7KW Spindle problem

Hello every body
    I am using a 3.7 KW 220V 400 Hz Chinese water cooled spindle to mill aluminium
    It worked fine for week and then I started to get some errors on my LS inverter VFD
    it started with a POT (output phase loss) and when I reset the inverter VFD it worked fine for while,
    then I started to get GFT (Ground Fault error) from time to time and then it got more frequent,
    I measured the ground terminal Current with an Ammeter and it reads zero all the time, now the spindle works for a minute or two then I get GFT error some times less than 5 secs

I am frustrated since this is my second spindle in one month ( the first one came with a problem )

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 3.7KW Spindle problem

does it spin in manual mode?

Downloads
    Uploads

it spins but the same issue happened

Downloads
    Uploads

Sounds like the IBGT inside the VFD are going and will fail shortly. You might want to swap out the VFD before it fails and takes your spindle at the same time.

Russ

Downloads
    Uploads

I will try another VFD and tell u wht happened

Downloads
    Uploads

I have just tried a new VFD with different brand, and it got me Over current ( the current measured and displayed on the VFD didnt exceed 4.5 amps)
    ???!!!!!!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Yasser47,
    You must have some parameters set wrong in the VFD, did the motor spin at all? Normally when you see issues like this it is caused due the settings in the VFD. User Mactec is a good resource when setting up parameters in a VFD. Are you using the standard Chinese spindle, 24000 RPM, etc.

Russ

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, The spindle rotates and cuts in the material for some time then it stops at completely random run positions, some times when contacting the material, and some time after it finish the cut, and sometimes when i just start it it fails, what parameter do i have to check?
    I am using
    GDZ spindle
    3.7KW
    220V 400 HZ
    24,000 RPM
    13 A

Downloads
    Uploads

Yasser47,
    The first one I would check in the VFD is the voltage setting, the current settings, and the frequency settings. Then I would check the acceleration and deceleration and make sure they are at 2-3 seconds. Not sure which VFD you are using.
    Russ

Downloads
    Uploads

Output voltage 220 V
    Motor no load current 5.5 A
    Motor rated current 12.9 A
    Acc is 10 sec
    Dec is 20 sec
    Base freq 400

Video of the problem
    https://youtu.be/7THCRCGuFPQ

Last edited by Yasser47; 03-29-2017 at 03:09 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yasser47,
    Clearly some parameter is wrong in your VFD. That was very little load but it does sound like the frequency is set correctly. It looked like it was falling out at low amperage, appeared to be only 4amps or so. Let me see if I can find a typical parameter list you can compare against, clearly one is wrong. Kind of long acceleration and deceleration but that should be fine anyway. There is another parameter wrong, be careful not to do that to many times you don't want to damage the VFD.

Russ

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Yasser47 View Post
    Output voltage 220 V
    Motor no load current 5.5 A
    Motor rated current 12.9 A
    Acc is 10 sec
    Dec is 20 sec
    Base freq 400

Video of the problem
    With your first VFD it could be you spindle is not Grounded, this is why you have the fault, check the continuity of the spindle Ground Connection to the spindle body, you will have to correct this inside the spindle, and then you will be fine

You will have to remove the top cap on the spindle to fix this Ground connection, blow all the water out before you remove the top cap

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CNCMAN172 View Post
    Sounds like the IBGT inside the VFD are going and will fail shortly. You might want to swap out the VFD before it fails and takes your spindle at the same time.

Russ
    This fault has nothing to do with the IBGT

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

mactec54,
    Yup it appeared to be acting up based on the various failure messages. He tried a new VFD out of the box and has the same errors, I am pretty sure he has a parameter set wrong, never seen the type of VFD he is using, but I am sure they have similar parameters. If you watch his video the frequency appears to be set correct, it spins right up, but as soon as the load hits maybe 4am it faults out.

Russ

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    With your first VFD it could be you spindle is not Grounded, this is why you have the fault, check the continuity of the spindle Ground Connection to the spindle body, you will have to correct this inside the spindle, and then you will be fine

You will have to remove the top cap on the spindle to fix this Ground connection, blow all the water out before you remove the top cap

I have checked the ground terminal and its connected to the spindle body physically and tested with a buzzer!!

{GFT; Ground Fault error;The inverter turns off its output when a ground fault occurs and theground fault current is more than the internal setting value of theinverter.}

Downloads
    Uploads

mactec54,
    Yup it appeared to be acting up based on the various failure messages. He tried a new VFD out of the box and has the same errors, I am pretty sure he has a parameter set wrong, never seen the type of VFD he is using, but I am sure they have similar parameters. If you watch his video the frequency appears to be set correct, it spins right up, but as soon as the load hits maybe 4am it faults out.

Russ
    Sometimes the fault happens before it touches the materials, and some times it works for 5 mins of so and then suddenly I get the error, its independent to the load

Downloads
    Uploads

Post the exact model of your VFD and/or a link to the manual. This must be a setting that is not getting configured correctly.
    Russ

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Yasser47 View Post
    Sometimes the fault happens before it touches the materials, and some times it works for 5 mins of so and then suddenly I get the error, its independent to the load
    What is the Name and model of the VFD Drive

So the spindle Ground is correct then how is the Ground connection between the spindle and the VFD, and then the VFD Ground connected to the incoming Power supply Ground

Take a close up photo of your VFD wiring

Check your spindle Plug wiring

Are you using shielded cable???

Is the shield terminated correctly as photo below???

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3.7KW Spindle problem-grounding-shields-3-png  
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Post the exact model of your VFD and/or a link to the manual. This must be a setting that is not getting configured correctly.
    Russ

No Parameter is going to fix a Grounding problem, he has a wiring problem

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

mactec54,
    Look at the video of his machine it appears to be a commercial type machine not a home grown cnc machine. It appears to be a VMC based on the video, so I would expect the commercial company would have used the correct cabling to the Spindle. However, it is a 24,000 RPM Chinese spindle so they might have changed the original spindle and put this high speed spindle in which required new cabling. Look at the video and you will see what I mean.
    Russ

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast