Help- can't get spindle to start

Thread: Help- can't get spindle to start

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Help- can't get spindle to start

I have an ezrouter (wood router cnc). The other day, mid program, the spindle lost rpm although it was programmed for a constant 18,500. I interrupted the program and restarted. The program started, positioned, and began the program- but did not start the spindle. Mach 3 shows the spindle turning at 18,500 rpm but it is not. My vfd shows 18,700- but it is notmoving. The VFD shows 'Stop' as opposed to 'run'.

no fault codes, no alarms, no error, no messages
    Any suggestions welcome. I've got a bunch of guys fixin to be out of work unless I can get this resolved fairly quickly.

Delta VFD-B
    HSD ES929 iso30

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by constanttraveler; 02-26-2017 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Additional information

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Help- can't get spindle to start

It sounds like you lost the output that turns on the VFD. Just to confirm that the VFD and motor are working, I would reprogram the VFD for keypad operation and see if it will run from there. If that works, then the problem probably in the BOB. I am assuming that you are not able to start the spindle manually from Mach3.

Downloads
    Uploads

not sure how to control the vfd manually. right now the tech guys at ezrouter have me looking at a sensor on the spindle that evidently could lock the vfd out due to a faulty signal. does that sounds reasonable? any quick checks I can do to verify the vfd?

I appreciate your taking the time for feedback, pretty frustrating on this end with this thing.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, that sounds reasonable. They certainly know more about the machine than I do, so I would go with their recommendations.

If the VFD is not showing any error codes and appears to be working correctly, then normally the problem is external to the VFD. The real clue is in your first post, the VFD is showing to be in the Stopped condition, that would indicate that it is not receiving the Run signal. Mach3 probably has no idea if the spindle is actually running or not, as far as I know, the communication is only in one direction. Mach3 tells the spindle to start and to run at a preset speed, but has no idea if it is actually doing it.

Downloads
    Uploads

okay, $700 for 3 proximity sensors did not solve the issue...

Downloads
    Uploads

OUCH! $700? That seems a bit high. What does tech support have to say?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by constanttraveler View Post
    not sure how to control the vfd manually. right now the tech guys at ezrouter have me looking at a sensor on the spindle that evidently could lock the vfd out due to a faulty signal. does that sounds reasonable? any quick checks I can do to verify the vfd?

I appreciate your taking the time for feedback, pretty frustrating on this end with this thing.
    The VFD may have an Alarm that would have to be cleared before it will run, it may not have shown an alarm on the screen, do you have the VFD manual

Never cut a spindle at high speed this can damage the VFD which may be what has happened, if the VFD has not been setup correctly, Back EMF when a Spindle like this shuts down at high speed can easily smoke a VFD Drive, if it does not have protection to prevent this

Why where the proximity sensors replaced, what has this got to do with your spindle turning on

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

okay, $700 for 3 proximity sensors did not solve the issue...
    I certainly hoped that was labour included etc, otherwise they should be gold plated!
    It did not cure the problem and they still charged you!
    Max.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

No, $700 was for parts only- I installed them myself.
    sensors suspected to be the issue because they can send an error preventing the vfd from starting spindle as a result of say... no tool detected.

tech support has been left scratching their heads... evidently spindle sensors are the only thing they know of that can cause an issue like this.

the machine is back up and running... reprogrammed the vfd to ignore whatever error it detected that caused this... not the safest thing to do but so far, so good... have run dozens of programs without issue... just have to remember to manually press the "run" button the vfd at the beginning of each day. that- and the spindle brake doesn't seem to be working... both issues manageable.

I do so much appreciate everyone's input... still looking for the issue so if you have any ideas they would be more than welcome.

Downloads
    Uploads

No, $700 was for parts only- I installed them myself.
    sensors suspected to be the issue because they can send an error preventing the vfd from starting spindle as a result of say... no tool detected.

tech support has been left scratching their heads... evidently spindle sensors are the only thing they know of that can cause an issue like this.

the machine is back up and running... reprogrammed the vfd to ignore whatever error it detected that caused this... not the safest thing to do but so far, so good... have run dozens of programs without issue... just have to remember to manually press the "run" button the vfd at the beginning of each day. that- and the spindle brake doesn't seem to be working... both issues manageable.

I do so much appreciate everyone's input... still looking for the issue so if you have any ideas they would be more than welcome.
    You may have just solved what the problem was, the spindle brake, if the Braking Resistor failed, because of overload when the spindle power was stopped, then the VFD would not be able to run if this was faulty, you most likely have by pasted it with the reprograming

The spindle sensors would of been easy to test if they where faulty or not, you don't even have to remove them to test them

Mactec54