Need Help! Gamfior 12kw ATC spindle problem

Thread: Gamfior 12kw ATC spindle problem

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Gamfior 12kw ATC spindle problem

Hello!

I´m working with a Gamfior spindle (see datasheet below) and I´m having trouble getting the toolholder out of the spindle.
    It looks a bit strange with a collet that seem to grip the outer part of the toolholder but its pretty loose, I can move the collet fingers with my finger.
    Then in the datasheet there seem to be a picture of the toolholder (which I only have the one that is stuck and never seen it out) which seem to have a knob on top like common atc toolholders.
    If I blow air in the hole for toolchange it moves a little but I cant get it out, and it does not move up again if I dont force it upp in the spindle, there is also some air leakage from the spindle front when I blow in this hole which does not seem like a good thing.
    There was also some oil that came out the first time I blew in it, could it be that it is hydraulic??
    How much preasure should be needed to get it out?
    Can anyone explain how this ATC work with the collet in front?
    Any help would me most appreciated.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gamfior 12kw ATC spindle problem-img_0427-jpg   Gamfior 12kw ATC spindle problem-img_0426-jpg   Gamfior 12kw ATC spindle problem-img_0423-jpg   Gamfior 12kw ATC spindle problem-img_0424-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Gamfior 12kw ATC spindle problem

Also there is the supposed encoder connector on the back if anyone have diagram of that it would be great!

Downloads
    Uploads

My guess is the encoder connector is the round one on the top with about 11 or 12 pins, the four pin connector with the larger pins should be your main power lines. Test them to the spindle body one of them should read zero ohms that will be the ground pin. I don't have a manual and have never seen this type spindle before. My guess is the tool holder can't be removed with out air connected to the spindle and the actuator valve energized.

Russ

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes its clear that the 4-pin connector is the power connector, we have done a test run with the motor.

Downloads
    Uploads

This place might be able to get you a manual for your spindle.

http://www.promshop.info/cataloguespdf/skfp.pdf

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the tip, I saw that SKF has bought Gamfior some years ago.
    After som more testing it seem like the ATC is hydraulic and that the leakage through the hydraulics is not a good thing so we will send it to a spindle repair shop so they can have a look on it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Interesting, I have never seen a hydraulic one before, the read fitting on the top look like a standard air fitting. Most use air and an electronically actuated valve on the spindle.

The spindle repair shop will know for sure.

Downloads
    Uploads

Update:
    It was in fact hydraulic and also there was a leakage in the cylinder so they said they could probably fix the leak for about 1000USD but as the oil has leaked throug the bearings they may have washed away the grease so there is a risk that it would not run for very long.
    A total renovation of the spindle would cost an estimated 5-6000USD.
    My customer dont want to put more money in it so thats it for that spindle.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ouch, yeah at that price you can't blame your customer. My guess new is that spindle probably is $20K or something.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes probably, and he does not need that big a spindle so he can get a new one in the size he want for that price.
    How hard is it by the way to take apart one of these?

Downloads
    Uploads

jeeybee,

Spindles are not easy to take apart. You usually need the right tools, especially on that monster spindle. Several people have taken the Chinese water cooled spindles apart on cnczone, and have posted pictures. The issue with the spindles is they need to be balanced so it is precision operation and normally the ends are press fits with screws so again not so easy to take apart. A few machinist on the zone posted pictures and explain how they took theirs apart. Most never ran again, a few that just had bearing issues got expensive bearing and got them put back together. Yeah, much cheaper to get a brand new 5-10 HP spindle which is probably big enough for most users.

Russ