Need Help! Chinese 1.5kw spindle smoking and overheating - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chinese 1.5kw spindle smoking and overheating

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Chinese 1.5kw spindle smoking and overheating

Quote Originally Posted by 6040_Newbie View Post
    I will check it again but I believe the 4000 reading = 60hz which = maximum output. There is no smoke, motor is disconnected and will stay disconnected till I get confirmation from the manufactuer engineer that the winding impedence is correct or is indicating an issue. Later I will run shielded cable and ground as you suggest.
    Is your spindle air cooled or water cooled, your 1.5Kw spindle will be 24,000 RPM @ 400 Hz they can not be run on 60Hz 100Hz=6000RPM is the slowest these spindles normal can run, so what you are seeing is the VFD Parameters have not been set correct

This will Damage the Spindle running at this Hz setting as did for Wdbilbo

The fact that your spindle runs at 4000RPM tells you your spindle is ok, if there was a problem it would not run

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

"your 1.5Kw spindle will be 24,000 RPM @ 400 Hz they can not be run on 60Hz 100Hz=6000RPM"

ok I did not know this. I am going on my limited knowledge of these VFD's. I know some other VFD's run up to 60hz which = max RPM. I had assumed the 400 max readout = 50/60hz because the VFD default is 50hz. I will go through VFD settings again. I could change it to 400hz but I want to confirm there is no problem with the motor. My fluke is a lo-z meter so I figure I should be getting some kind of resistance and not what looks like a dead short.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I was incorrect. The default was not set for 50 Hz, it indeed set for 400 Hz. When I did change it to 200 Hz and turn it on it went up to 200 Hz as it should with that setting.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Went through each setting and the book and all looks correct. My settings are the same as another members post who has a PRT-E750, except for D005. I have the PRT-E1500w. Also my spindle never did reach 4000RPM. Its never turned ON ever and still doesn't. VFD appears to be working is MACH3 with no load.

my VFD settings.

0 50.00
    1 0
    2 00.00
    3 00.00
    4 220.0
    5 200.00 (middle freq setting)
    6 110.0
    7 00.50
    8 001.7
    9 00.00
    10 00.00
    11 10.00
    12 10.00
    13 10.00
    14 10.00
    15 10.00
    16 10.00
    17 10.00
    18 10.00
    19 01.00
    20 06.00
    21 50.00
    22 0
    23 0000
    24 0000
    25 0000
    26 0000
    27 0000
    28 0000
    29 0000
    30 0000
    31 1
    32 1
    33 0
    34 0
    35 0
    36 0
    37 004
    38 001
    39 000
    40 100.0

Downloads
    Uploads

I find my VFD settings on another thread and compared them and it appears spot on, so I don't think I have a VFD issue. I read the spindle motor winding are very low impedence but mine are showing a direct short. Anyway, good luck with yours and I will be following your progress.
    You cannot measure the load impedance with a simple ohm meter, these are very low inductance motors and rely on high frequency to produce the Inductive Reactance ( in ohms) in order to limit the current.
    Measuring with an ordinary ohm meter tells you nothing, except the motor is not O/C.
    The low inductance accounts for burn out when they are ran at low frequency.
    You have it set right now to operate from the panel.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for your input Al. Makes sense and I can understand that, but I need to verify if the VFD or the spindle is the issue. I have gone over the PC,MACH3 and VFD settings over and over and they all look good. Its pretty strait forward. The rest of the manual set up was clear and concise and the axis functioned as anticipated. I have a oscope I can use to verify the PWM from the VFD if that is what its going to take. Its a 3hr drive to go get it so I was hoping there is another way to verify.

The bottom line is I need a way to verify if I am dealing with a good motor because the software and VFD setting look correct to me.

Downloads
    Uploads

Went through each setting and the book and all looks correct. My settings are the same as another members post who has a PRT-E750, except for D005. I have the PRT-E1500w. Also my spindle never did reach 4000RPM. Its never turned ON ever and still doesn't. VFD appears to be working is MACH3 with no load.

my VFD settings.

0 50.00
    1 0
    2 00.00
    3 00.00
    4 220.0
    5 200.00 (middle freq setting)
    6 110.0
    7 00.50
    8 001.7
    9 00.00
    10 00.00
    11 10.00
    12 10.00
    13 10.00
    14 10.00
    15 10.00
    16 10.00
    17 10.00
    18 10.00
    19 01.00
    20 06.00
    21 50.00
    22 0
    23 0000
    24 0000
    25 0000
    26 0000
    27 0000
    28 0000
    29 0000
    30 0000
    31 1
    32 1
    33 0
    34 0
    35 0
    36 0
    37 004
    38 001
    39 000
    40 100.0
    So why did you post 4000=60Hz, if you did not achieve this, It is very confusing when people are trying to trouble shoot when you post things that did not happen

Your VFD is Junk as many have already found out, some work and some do not, if the spindle has not been damaged then it will be fine and the VFD is Junk, just because someone else's VFD worked with these settings does not mean that your one will, I have those settings also but they have been used by other and they don't work, your spindle is 400Hz there has to be some parameters that are set at 400 and there are not

People need to stop buying this Junk Electronics package in some of these machines

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mactec,

I apologize. I thought 400.00 on the VFD display = 60hz full output RPM scaled. Meaning the spindle motor was a 60Hz motor not a 400Hz motor. Again sorry. You and Al are correct about the low impedance motor windings. All the VFD settings are original from the manufacture and I actually decided to reconnect the spindle after Al's "low inductance" motor explanation which made a lot of sense. I changed it over to "manual operation" and the spindle came ON strait away. So it appears as of now the spindle is good and the VFD is good. 1.0 ohms across each winding means nothing with low inductance motor.

Back to the drawing board on the PC and Mach3 settings. There is obviously a configuration issue. In defense to the China product, it appears to be a fairy reasonable product for the the price. From experience with other China product that they are not as robust for continuous duty or heavy operation but you get what you pay for.

Thanks for all your help and I will post my findings if I can get Mach3 spindle control. And sorry again for the miscommunication and choice of poor technical words.

Last edited by 6040_Newbie; 02-10-2017 at 03:36 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

In the absence of special equipment, the simple way to see if a motor has overheated or burnt is to dismantle it and observe the winding's for discoloration etc.
    This will not show a shorted turn winding in and of itself, but this would usually accompany over current, therefore charred winding will usually result anyway.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Mactec,

I apologize. I thought 400.00 on the VFD display = 60hz full output RPM scaled. Meaning the spindle motor was a 60Hz motor not a 400Hz motor. Again sorry. You and Al are correct about the low impedance motor windings. All the VFD settings are original from the manufacture and I actually decided to reconnect the spindle after Al's "low inductance" motor explanation which made a lot of sense. I changed it over to "manual operation" and the spindle came ON strait away. So it appears as of now the spindle is good and the VFD is good. 1.0 ohms across each winding means nothing with low inductance motor.

Back to the drawing board on the PC and Mach3 settings. There is obviously a configuration issue. In defense to the China product, it appears to be a fairy reasonable product for the the price. From experience with other China product that they are not as robust for continuous duty or heavy operation but you get what you pay for.

Thanks for all your help and I will post my findings if I can get Mach3 spindle control. And sorry again for the miscommunication and choice of poor technical words.
    These machines are quite good for the money, the electrics have always been there problem

Don't rule out that there could still be a Parameter that is not set correct that is causing you not to have spindle control, you may have Mach3 configured correct, there is not much to set in Mach3, you can check the output signal from Mach3 to the Breakout Board

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I did the sniff test early on Al and it never turned on so I was sure it was not toast. Also id never just crack open a brand new motor even though I was tempted I am making some progress now!

Sorry, didn't mean to jack this thread but I think its relative. So I have Mach3 control ON/OFF of the VFD spindle motor. In the VFD settings I changed D2 to setting option 1, options are as follows....

D032 Operation order source setting: 0. I n t e r n a l k e y b o a r d 1. External terminal 2.COM port operation. I dont know if this is correct, but I do have Spindle ON/OFF control now.

However the spindle turned ON/OFF what backwards in MACH3....Mach3 Spindle CW F5 was working backwards so I unchecked the Active Low signal in the Ports and Pins "Output Signals" tab/window. Now it turns ON and OFF as it should but, the Hz ramp up to full speed. The Mach3 speed setting dont work. I have no MACH3 spindle speed control.

Now I am trying to figure out the last piece of the puzzle. What controls the the VFD from MACH3 and the Parallel Port and the INPUT to the VFD? MACH3 in the Ports and Pins "Spindle Setup" seems to indicate its a PWM signal. D031 in the VFD settings has an option for PWM Input signal. I tried the PWM input setting on the VFD but it not working at the time.

So onward I go. If I get it all working I'll post it all with screens shots.

Last edited by 6040_Newbie; 02-10-2017 at 05:30 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well I am getting closer. I have Spindle Motor control through MACH3 by entering the desired value. However the slider for speed up/down is not working.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I got the MACH3 slider for the spindle speed working working now. I need to wrap my head around all the changes I had made before I post my final settings. Everything is functioning as it should with table setup up MM in Native Units...Now hopefully I can change it all over to inches successfully..

Downloads
    Uploads

I got the MACH3 slider for the spindle speed working working now. I need to wrap my head around all the changes I had made before I post my final settings. Everything is functioning as it should with table setup up MM in Native Units...Now hopefully I can change it all over to inches successfully..
    You can leave it in Metric MM and you just use a G20 at the start of you Program to run an inch program, your control does not need to be set up in inches

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mactec, too late I already set it all up to inches because that what I am used to anyway. Everything is working but now there are no home switches and I am trying to wrap my head around setting up table size, machine coordinates, home limits, soft limits. Trying to orientate my brain is taking some adjusting. There is no documentation showing where to connect home limits to the circuit board and its not printed on the board terminals. Google turned up nothing as well. It would sure be nice to hit "ref all home" in MACH3.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Yes unfortunately it is toast or bricked what ever you prefer to use, the normal reading should be 1.4 to 1.6 for a good spindle, when you get a new one, do the wiring and settings as I posted, plus the Ground / Earth connection in the spindle and double check that the Parameters are set correct, before you run it
    Old thread but I have the same problem as the OP with 2 * 2.2kw spindle and 2 VFD's!

I released a little magic smoke on one of the spindles so I tested both for ohms and got 1.7 on my brand new spindle call this #1 (This one is grounded pin 4 to body)

and 1.8 on spindle #2 the one that released smoke (this one isn't grounded pin 4)

And that was consistent for all 3 pins on both spindles, so I hope no damage to spindle #2

I have a Huanyang vfd and an AT1-2200x

With the AT1-2200x which has a pot on it you can get both spindles to spin slowly but when you speed up it cuts out with error 1

I tried with my old spindle very slowly increasing the pot and it went a lot faster then smoke released and it gave error 6 spindle was hot
    Chinese 1.5kw spindle smoking and overheating-error-codes-jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12