Huanyang Inverter questions

Thread: Huanyang Inverter questions

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Huanyang Inverter questions

I bought a 1.5kw water cooled spindle off e-bay, and it worked fine for over a year. One morning I went to turn it on, and I got an error code "dl". (Output short circuit) If I unplug the spindle, the inverter appears to work fine. So, I bought a new 2.2 kw spindle and inverter. and while I am waiting for 1/4" and 1/8" collets, I am wondering several things.
    So, my questions are:

1) what voltage should be out of the inverter? Funny part of this is, when I ordered it, I was asked if I wanted 110v or 220v. Being in Canada, I wanted 110v. However, when it arrived, the inverter still needed 220v. (The new 2.2kw spindle is all 220v) So, I ran a line. But what I don't know is if the voltage out to the spindle is 110v or 220v? I measured across the 3 poles, and with the inverter at 24000 rev. the outputs were 77v ac and 35v ac. The 3rd way of putting the meter on produced nothing.

2) If the short (problem) is in the 1.5kw spindle, can I hook up the 2.2kw spindle to the old FVD?
    2a) If the problem is with the old VFD and I hook up the new spindle, will it cause an issue with the new spindle?

3) If I hook up the 1.5kw spindle to the new VFD and the spindle is the issue, can that wreck the new VFD?

Basically, I am trying to find out which unit (may be both) is broken, and hopefully use the other half.

Any help is muchly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Ray

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Huanyang Inverter questions

PD008 will set the voltage to your spindle, there are many parameter's that need to be set correctly. Mactec54 helped many with these settings and there easily accessible with a search in the forum link I posted below.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/spindles-vfd/

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bcer960 View Post
    I bought a 1.5kw water cooled spindle off e-bay, and it worked fine for over a year. One morning I went to turn it on, and I got an error code "dl". (Output short circuit) If I unplug the spindle, the inverter appears to work fine. So, I bought a new 2.2 kw spindle and inverter. and while I am waiting for 1/4" and 1/8" collets, I am wondering several things.
    So, my questions are:

1) what voltage should be out of the inverter? Funny part of this is, when I ordered it, I was asked if I wanted 110v or 220v. Being in Canada, I wanted 110v. However, when it arrived, the inverter still needed 220v. (The new 2.2kw spindle is all 220v) So, I ran a line. But what I don't know is if the voltage out to the spindle is 110v or 220v? I measured across the 3 poles, and with the inverter at 24000 rev. the outputs were 77v ac and 35v ac. The 3rd way of putting the meter on produced nothing.

2) If the short (problem) is in the 1.5kw spindle, can I hook up the 2.2kw spindle to the old FVD?
    2a) If the problem is with the old VFD and I hook up the new spindle, will it cause an issue with the new spindle?

3) If I hook up the 1.5kw spindle to the new VFD and the spindle is the issue, can that wreck the new VFD?

Basically, I am trying to find out which unit (may be both) is broken, and hopefully use the other half.

Ray
    You must never try to test the output of your VFD Drive, as it is easy to damage the Drive, your regular meter can not be used, to measure the output, what ever your input voltage is, that will be what the output voltage is, you can check the input Voltage, But Not the Output

If the old spindle is bad yes it could damage the new VFD Drive

So first Check you old spindle by using your ohm setting on your meter, ( NO POWER CONNECTED )

Check Pin
    1 to 2
    2 to 3
    3 to 1

They should all read close to the same 1.4 to 1.6
    next check each pin to Ground ( spindle Body )
    And check the 4th pin ( Ground ) to the Body of the spindle

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

So, my questions are:

Ray
    You also could have a bad cable between the VFD and the Spindle or a short in the Plug that caused the DL problem, so check this cable and Plug connections very careful or the same thing could happen to your new Drive Spindle make sure the Ground between the VFD and the Spindle is correct as well

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank Dan911 and Mactec54.

I checked the spindle, and it has 1.6 ohms on all three pins. I checked the cable, and there are no loose wires, or strands. There is no ground, or earth wire. The forth pin goes no where. When i got it, there was a lot of talk about the 4th pin, and while some had put the pin to ground, most didn't know it was blank when they opened the spindle. (Myself included) I couldn't get the cap off, and so ran it like that for over a year. I do have a ground wire running to that pin, but obviously it goes to nothing. On the new spindle, I will ground it.

Downloads
    Uploads

The problem with an ohms test on a 3ph motor, especially these low inductance ones, a short between winding's will not always show due the the very low resistance of the winding's themselves, but a short between adjacent windings will affect the inductance drastically and have an effect when powered.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    The problem with an ohms test on a 3ph motor, especially these low inductance ones, a short between winding's will not always show due the the very low resistance of the winding's themselves, but a short between adjacent windings will affect the inductance drastically and have an effect when powered.
    Al.
    So, is there any way to tell if the spindle is shot???

Downloads
    Uploads

The fact it is a higher than a 50/60hz rated motor makes it difficult to test under a standard 3ph power, There are some different tests that can be done on a dismantled motor but it requires the use of something called a 'growler', there are other DC magnetic tests, but with a motor with this small a stator it may not be conclusive.
    When testing on a known good VFD, most will have the capacity to shut down if there is anything amiss on the output.
    In one instance I accidentally connected one motor phase to ground, the VFD just would not go into run, with no damage occurring.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank Dan911 and Mactec54.

I checked the spindle, and it has 1.6 ohms on all three pins. I checked the cable, and there are no loose wires, or strands. There is no ground, or earth wire. The forth pin goes no where. When i got it, there was a lot of talk about the 4th pin, and while some had put the pin to ground, most didn't know it was blank when they opened the spindle. (Myself included) I couldn't get the cap off, and so ran it like that for over a year. I do have a ground wire running to that pin, but obviously it goes to nothing. On the new spindle, I will ground it.
    You need to have a Ground connected at the spindle this is most likely the reason for your problem, it's not safe to run without it as well

Mactec54