Huanyang VFD V/F curve and low speed torque, 2.2kw spindle.

Thread: Huanyang VFD V/F curve and low speed torque, 2.2kw spindle.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Huanyang VFD V/F curve and low speed torque, 2.2kw spindle.

I'm trying to learn how to maximize low speed torque on the huanyang hy02d223b without burning anything up.
    I'll try to explain what I know so far and anyone can correct or add to it.

Torque of the motor is controlled by the Voltage / Frequency (V/F) curve programmed in the vfd.
    The curve is limited to 3 points, set by 6 parameters.

PD007 Minimum Frequency, PD010 Minimum Voltage
    PD006 Intermediate Freq., PD009 Intermediate Voltage
    PD005 Maximum Frequency, PD008 Maximum Voltage

Based on advice from the spindle dealers,I have pd005 set to 400hz, I believe most everyone with the 2.2kw spindle use this setting.
    This drastically changes the default V/F curve, and I'm not sure if it is correct.
    Here is a graph showing the default curve in red and the curve that results from changing pd005 to 400hz.
    Huanyang VFD V/F curve and low speed torque, 2.2kw spindle.-default-400hz-jpg

Would it be a bad idea to send full voltage to the 400hz motor at 50hz?

Now what I am wondering is what the graphs of other people who have successfully increased low speed torque, would look like.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Huanyang VFD V/F curve and low speed torque, 2.2kw spindle.

alan_3301

These are the settings you should be using for this drive, there are other settings for Torque control, but I don't recommend playing with it for this VFD

Huanyang Mactec54
    PD000=0 for Parameter unlock ( 1 ) for Parameter Lock
    PD001=0 (1 For Remote Control)
    PD002=0
    PD003=400
    PD004=400
    PD005=400
    PD007=20
    PD008=220
    PD011=120 (Minimum Setting 120) This can be set at 100 But 120 is a safer number to use with this VFD
    PD009=15
    PD010=8
    PD13= 08 is for Factory reset, Only use this to set VFD to Factory Default Settings
    PD014 Accel=12 ( Adjust to suit)
    PD015 Deccl=12 (Adjust to suit) ( PD15 is ignored IF PD26=1 Then the Spindle will Coast to a Stop)
    PD141=220 ( Motor Rated Voltage )
    PD142=9 ( Motor Max Amps) (Set for your motor Amp Rating 2.2Kw Spindle 9 amp Max)
    (Set for your motor Amp Rating 1.5Kw Spindle 7 amp Max)
    PD143=2 ( Motor Number of Poles)
    PD144=3000 (Max Motor RPM) =3,000= (24,000)

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, my spindle has been in operation for a year now, I am just trying to get some extra low end for the occasional drilling .

I got some data from a user here in another thread who was kind enough to post his settings. I have added it to the graph.
    Huanyang VFD V/F curve and low speed torque, 2.2kw spindle.-vf-curve-graph-jpg

His settings were minimum frequency 1hz,minimum voltage 8v. Intermediate frequency 10hz, Intermediate voltage 36v.

Downloads
    Uploads

alan_3301

Let us know how it works out, there are setting to give you more torque at lower RPM but what you have there will most likely smoke the Drive, a setting of 1Hz will damage the spindle motor they have a minimum of PD011 100Hz Buy the right spindle motor, if you need to run slower than 12,000 RPM

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey, the minimum frequency I am talking about is for PD007 which is just a X point in the V/F curve, The default setting is 0.5hz, with a max of 20hz.
    It is separate from PD011 (frequency lower limit) which is the minimum the vfd will output.

At 1000rpms it should still be capable of making 91 watts at the full 9 amps right? (2200W / 24000rpm) * 1000rpm = 91.6 watts
    At 9 amps it should make 0.8 Nm of torque at any speed correct?
    As long as the cooling capacity is there, It should be possible.
    Of course there is no cure for overloading the spindle at any given speed.

I will experiment with the frequency lower limit, to see what is a reasonable minimum, but will probably never need less than 5000 rpms or 83hz

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by alan_3301 View Post
    At 9 amps it should make 0.8 Nm of torque at any speed correct?
    9amps at full speed,is about right, it's not going to happen with the VFD you are using, 1000RPM at 9amps for more than a few seconds, I see smoke

PD011 setting is there to protect the spindle

You are looking at the wrong parameters to do what you want to do, you need to be looking at Torque Control/there is a setting PD145 which is for Auto Torque Compensation, you have to be very careful with this setting, if set incorrect will damage your drive

The spindle you have was not designed to run below 12,000 RPM, some of the good ones can go as low as 6,000 RPM

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Looking at the manual, PD145 looks as if it only increases PD010 (minimum voltage) by the set percentage (range 0.1% - 10%, default 2%), at lower frequency (no specified range/limit)
    Huanyang VFD V/F curve and low speed torque, 2.2kw spindle.-capture-vfdmanual-jpg

I really know nothing about theory of electricity, and 3 phase motors.
    I assume voltage is proportional to current, and frequency is proportional to motor speed, within certain limits.
    I'm guessing the motor is only good for 12k, because it only has 2 poles? a 4 pole motor would be good for 6k, at the same 200hz, with the same voltage?

Based on some reading online (don't take this to mean I understand it), as frequency is lowered, impedance in lowered also, causing current to increase.
    Is this the reason for the minimum frequency?

If this is the case, then I guess you have little faith in the VFD current limiting ability, Is it not quick enough to over-current fault, causing damage?
    Hopefully this can be handled with PD0123-PD0125. It seems the default is to do nothing, when the current is higher than specified.
    Huanyang VFD V/F curve and low speed torque, 2.2kw spindle.-capture-vfdmanual-2-jpg

I have a readout on my monitor of VFD current. If I keep this in view while tweaking parameters, and keep the current under 5 amps (I've never seen over 3 amps under any load before),
    in addition to properly setting pd0123-pd0125, would danger of damage be minimized?

Downloads
    Uploads

alan_3301

The VFD drive you have are very weak, some can be repair most are scrap, they are very low cost, so you can't get the same performance out of them as you can the more robust expensive VFD drives, trying to do what it is not capable of, they will smoke before you know it, these VFD's, are what they are inexpensive, I have repair to many of them to have any faith in them, but I have seen some improvements in newer models,so just maybe they are seeing were the weakness is with the Drives & making improvements

Just let us know how you make out with your settings you are using, I don't think that you will be able to run it as slow as you want & have any useable torque, this motor & drive are just not designed to run slow

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by alan_3301 View Post
    Thanks, my spindle has been in operation for a year now, I am just trying to get some extra low end for the occasional drilling .

I got some data from a user here in another thread who was kind enough to post his settings. I have added it to the graph.
    Huanyang VFD V/F curve and low speed torque, 2.2kw spindle.-vf-curve-graph-jpg

His settings were minimum frequency 1hz,minimum voltage 8v. Intermediate frequency 10hz, Intermediate voltage 36v.
    Old topic kick I know, but I tried these settings and now I have more than enough torque even on 3000 rpm. Have not tried it more than 1 hour long run, but did multiple short runs. Motor does get warmer and indeed use more ampere's but it is a watercooled version so I guess I will be ok. Try on your owm risk ofcourse, but these spindle don't cost the world

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the info. I never did go any farther with this, I ended up buying carbide drills and do my drilling at 12000 rpms.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by blinkstrikebob View Post
    Hi ALL.
    I have huanyang 2.2kw inverter with spindle. It is working perfectly at 50htz(PD003) with 1000 rpm. When I increase frequency during rotate it stopped and "dL" error message showed.
    I tried tried and visited many sites. I am not electrican. All i want is maximum speed.
    First it was working fine and I factory resetted. So it is not rotating more than 1400 rotate per minute.

Please help!

- - - Updated - - -

Hi ALL. I have huanyang 2.2kw inverter with spindle. It is working perfectly at 50htz(PD003) with 1000 rpm. When I increase frequency during rotate it stopped and "dL" error message showed.I tried tried and visited many sites. I am not electrican. All i want is maximum speed. First it was working fine and I factory resetted. So it is not rotating more than 1400 rotate per minute. Please help!
    Unless you use these settings you will damage the Spindle or VFD Drive sometimes both, you may have Damage already from running it at 50Hz Parameter Setting

Huanyang Mactec54
    2.2Kw 220v

PD000=0 for Parameter unlock ( 1 ) for Parameter Lock

PD001=0 (1 For Remote Control)

PD002=0 ( 1 For 0-10v Terminal Control or Remote Trim Pot Control )
    ( J1 Also Needs to be set for Terminal Control )

PD003=400

PD004=400

PD005=400

PD006=15

PD007=20

PD008=220 (Motor Rated Voltage, If you have 120v spindle then set to 120v )

PD009=15

PD010=8

PD011=120 ( 100 Minimum Setting with Quality VFD, 120 is Safe)

PD13= 08 is for Factory reset, Only use this to set VFD to Factory Default Settings

PD014 Acceleration=10 ( Adjust to suit)

PD015 Deceleration=10 (Adjust to suit) ( PD15 is ignored IF PD26=1 Then the Spindle will Coast to a Stop)

PD023=0 ( Forward Run Only )

PD041=8 ( Carrier Frequency up to 10 Max for these Spindle motors)

PD120=120 ( Stall Prevention )

PD141=220 ( Motor Rated Voltage ) (120 for VFD Rated for 120v )

PD142=9 ( Motor Max Amps 2.2Kw Spindle 9 amp )

PD143=2 ( Motor Number of Poles)

PD144=3000 (Max Motor RPM) =3,000= (24,000)

PD70=0 ( This may need to be set to 1 if Control Voltage is 0-5v )

PD72=400

PD73=120 ( 100 Minimum RPM Setting )

PD174=??? ( To Be Set to the VFD Drives Max Rated Amps )

Mactec54