Huanyang VFD & Spindle Warranty Problems

Thread: Huanyang VFD & Spindle Warranty Problems

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Huanyang VFD & Spindle Warranty Problems

On my DIY CNC I installed a Chinese Huanyang VFD & Spindle that I bought on ebay back in late December. I also have the plug-in that controls the VFD with Mach3. I will say that everything was working well. I really enjoyed the low noise from the water cooled spindle.
    Now here is the problem. Two almost three weeks ago the spindle stopped working and the vfd display showed "dL", which indicates a current leak somewhere in the spindle motor. I bought the vfd & spindle from "world-etrade" on ebay. I looked back at their ebay listing and saw that there is a two year warranty. No problem, right. No, you would be wrong. I contacted "world-etrade" and ask about getting a new spindle covered under their warranty. After several responses on ebay back and forth they have not replaced the spindle and will no longer correspond with me about a replacement spindle.
    I had no chose but to get another spindle. I found that I could get the vfd & spindle for not much more than just the spindle alone. So I ordered a new vfd & spindle motor from "eling-export" and had it within a few days. I was back up and running. Not so fast................ I hooked up the vfd & spindle in manual control to test everything out. The spindle started coming up to speed when smoke started coming out it. The vfd shut down with the "dL" showing on the display. I contacted "eling-export" about replacing the faulty spindle motor under their three year warranty. After answering a lot of stupid questions and sending them photos of the wiring from the vfd to the spindle. And explaining to them that my power supply to the vfd is 220 volt, single phase, not 220V, 2 phase or 3 phase we are at a dead end. As of now they have not send me an RMA# nor an address to where I can send the spindle for replacement or refund. This is what their ebay listing says: “satisfaction guaranteed,return accepted without asking for a reason, fully refund or exchange will be give upon our receiving the returned item.item must be returned in mint state with original packing,please notify us and with our confirmation before you want to return anything.”
    I have contacted ebay customer support with my problem with “eling-export”. They say that they can help with “eling-export” and get my cost and shipping returned, but that there may not be anything they can do about “world-etrade” since it has been over six months.
    Right now I’m not sure what to do, but to warn ever one about these cheap Chinese spindles. And I guess I’ll have to bite the bullet ($$$$) and get better quality VFD & spindle.

Beware and watch out these sites Angry Angry
    High Speed 2 2KW VFD Inverter Water Cooled Motor Spindle Engraving Grinding New | eBay
    2 2KW Water Cooled Milling and Grinding Spindle Motor with 2 2KW Inverter VFD K | eBay

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Unfortunately, that's the chance you take when you buy a Chinese spindle. Regardless of what they say, the warranty is most likely worthless. Even if they honored it, you'd have to pay nearly the cost of the spindle to ship it there and back.

With a new spindle. you can file a PayPal dispute, but that also might cost you the cost of shipping it back before you get a refund.

Are you sure you have all of your VFD settings correct? Did you open the spindle and check for water leakage? Chinese spindle failures seem to be pretty rare these days, and you'd be extremely unlucky to get two bad ones.

Other than rolling the dice on Ebay, you really only have two other options. You can by a Chinese spindle from an importer that will warranty it, like UGRA CNC, for about 50% more. Or by a non chinese spindle for 5-10x the price.
    Actually, the cheapest option might be to make an offer for two spindles on Ebay to get a better price, and have a backup.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Gerry
    You can't believe how many times I went through the vfd codes looking for a problem. I even tried changing the wires from the vfd to the spindle not once but twice. the second time I used individual wires with no luck. The motor will start to turn and go upto about 6 or 7 hundred rpm then shutdown with the 'dL' read out on the vfd. I'm putty sure the problem is in the motor and not the vfd. I am looking into the UGRA spindle and the Delta VFD.
    I filed a dispute with ebay they say I can get a refund + shipping. We will see.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Warranty coverage & refund

UPDATE:
    This is a long story, so I will try and give the Reader Digest version.

I have finally been able to get these warranty problems taken care of. I contacted "world-etrade" and told them about the problems with the spindle. It took some doing but they reluctantly sent a replacement spindle.
    Now "eling-export" was a whole other nut to crack. I lost count of the communications back and forth (40+). At first "eling-export" was very reluctant to give any warranty coverage, but after I got in touch with PayPal about opening a case "eling-export" changed their attitude real fast and wanted to know if I would drop the PayPal case and change my 'feedback' at Ebay. They sent me an address in California to return the VFD/spindle, but I had to pay the shipping ($28.00). All of this sense about 8/25/2012. I returned the VFD/spindle but did not hear back from "eling-export". My tracking # showed that they had received the VFD/Spindle. After contacting "eling-export" again and threatening to reopen the case with PayPal. They ask me not to do that and that they would refund my money to PayPal and send the money for the shipping. After three days of not hearing anything this morning I received an email from PayPal that the $311.00 has been returned to my account and that $28.00 (shipping cost) has been sent to my PayPal account. I will admit that I had just about given up hope of getting my money back. Just shows that you have to be persistent and stand your ground. This morning I did change my 'feedback' in Ebay about eling-export.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Gene. Hey mate did you find out why your spindles are burning out? I was wondering also why you got such bad luck with two burning out. I had a woodworking machinery business for a while. A lot of troubles with single phase motors, in this case your single to three phase inverter, was voltage drop at the supply. People would be running 3 - 3.5hp single phase machines on long leads. Voltage drop, current rises, boom. Is it possible this is happening with your inverter? I have just bought a chinese spindle inverter setup. I have yet to wire it up because I am at work but am interested in your case. Regards

Downloads
    Uploads

Gene8522

One thing you should never do is change the wires around they have to be wired correct, as per the spec's, when they don't get up to speed, like the problem you are having, most times is a VFD programing problem, do you have a photo of the wiring of the VFD, you can change the wiring going out of the VFD but not the input wiring

what terminals did you use R S T for your 220 single phase

Last edited by mactec54; 10-05-2013 at 10:28 PM.
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

I had been using this setup sense January without any problem, but for the RF noise interference. Before the spindle went out and stopped running. I did get a replacement spindle under warrant and the new spindle will run as it should. But now there is a problem with the VFD and I can only run the VFD in manual. I think that when the motor went out it did something to the VFD because the VFD will not let me change PD002 or PD003 to 2, for external commutations.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by gene8522 View Post
    I had been using this setup sense January without any problem
    This does not mean that it was Wired /Programed correctly

I think that when the motor went out it did something to the VFD because the VFD will not let me change PD002 or PD003 to 2, for external commutations.
    You could try a Reset to set the VFD to the Factory Default Settings, & then put the correct parameters into the VFD for your motor

On your input power 220v single phase, what terminals are you using R S or T ??????

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

I use terminals R,S

Downloads
    Uploads

One of the reasons for spindle burn out with the Huanyang and the H.S. 3ph spindles is running at less than the recommended minimum RPM, IIRC is 130Hz?
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    One of the reasons for spindle burn out with the Huanyang and the H.S. 3ph spindles is running at less than the recommended minimum RPM, IIRC is 130Hz?
    Al.
    I never run below 10000 RPMs, depending on bit size.

Downloads
    Uploads

I use terminals R,S
    Yes that is the correct terminals to use

Try the Reset to factory defaults, to see if you can then set the parameters that you could not set before (PD002 PD003 )

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Yes that is the correct terminals to use

Try the Reset to factory defaults, to see if you can then set the parameters that you could not set before (PD002 PD003 )
    Thanks for trying to help, Lord knows I need all I can get. I can't tell you how many time I have gone to PD013 and reset the defaults and then through all the settings. I'm not sure anymore if I have a bad VFD or a bad USB to RS485 connector.
    Thank again,
    Gene

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Huanyang VFD & Spindle Warranty Problems

Need help with my VFD, Its starts in MAch3 then kicks out after 1 - 2 seconds. First time trying to get running on Mach,

Any suggestions are appreciated

Downloads
    Uploads

Itoo273

Are you using a 0-10 PWM and a relay to turn it on, or trying to run it some other way

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

[QUOTE=mactec54;2080758]Itoo273

Are you using a 0-10 PWM and a relay to turn it on, or trying to run it some other way[/QUOTE

Yes I am trying to use PWM

Downloads
    Uploads

[QUOTE=lt00273;2080832]
    Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Itoo273

Are you using a 0-10 PWM and a relay to turn it on, or trying to run it some other way[/QUOTE

Yes I am trying to use PWM
    PWM by it's self will not work

As in the first post, do you have a Relay connected for the Forward On/Off control

Mactec54