EBay vs AliExpress

Thread: EBay vs AliExpress

Downloads
    Uploads

Default EBay vs AliExpress

In the past I have always used eBay to buy what I need but I noticed AliExpress, which I never used, have a pretty good selection of VFD/Spindle packages.

Before I create an account with them, has anyone used AliExpress and what was your experience?

Similar Threads:
    Nicolas

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: EBay vs AliExpress

I guess it depends on which seller you deal with, much like Ebay.
    BST Automation is very popular there,

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you Gerry and you are right, it all depends on the seller

I will try to find BST Automation and see what he has

We all buy from China various items we need for our cnc’s but there no thread to indicate the purchasing experience and suggestions from members. It would have been helpful for all members if such a thread was available.

I buy my linear rails / ball screws from Mr. Chai and like it has been mentioned here before I have been very happy with his service and products. I never bought a VFD / Spindle from China but now I will take the plunge and keep my fingers crossed, lol

Nicolas

Downloads
    Uploads

Alibaba has been around a while but it's more aimed at importers and bulk quantities. Most prices are FOB and up to you to ship (though not all) and it's not the easiest thing to navigate.

Ebay was killing it. So they opened up ali-express which is the same but with restrictions on sellers - they have to support easier payment methods than wire transfer, they have to offer shipping and they have to order small MOQs. It's mostly the same manufacturers, potentially through different resellers who charge a premium for making it more accessible.

Still. Much of a muchness as far as I can tell, although I've not yet had to test the refund/resolution use case on aliexpress whereas I've had several on eBay/PayPal which leans heavily in favour of the purchaser and makes it all quite easy, usually.

Then you have BangGood, DealExtreme etc which are ok pricewise but I've waited 3 months for stuff to arrive in the past.

Downloads
    Uploads

Second hand info:
    If you file a dispute with eBay, things happen. Or you can file a dispute with Paypal, and again things happen.
    AliExpress will not take Paypal and 'always' sides with the vendor.
    Me, I have never used AliExpress, but I was put off by the report and the lack of a Paypal option.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Glad to hear your explanation dharmic, I knew was a connection between Alibaba and AliExpress but was not sure.

I found the BST Automation on AliExpress, looks a pretty good site and they have nice sets of VFD / Spindles + Accessories for a good price but their shipping by DHL looks very expensive (1.5kw VFD + Spindle + Bracket + Pump USD$275 + $132 DHL). In comparison, I get a set of linear rails / screws from eBay which is a heavier / bulky package and the FedEx cost is USD$80. Anyway when their New Year is over I will question BST about the DHL cost

Searching for a VFD package I find most of the VFD’s do not have the speed adjusting knob at the top right of the controls panel and only a few has this knob (see attached pic). I know this knob is not really needed since you can adjust the speed with Mach3 but I’m guessing the ones with the knob are better build?

Also some they have at the bottom right of the controls panel HY, others have INVERTER and others have nothing. I will gather the ones with the knob and HY probably are better.

I agree with you Rcaffin, as far as I can see AliExpress takes no PayPal and this I don’t like at all. When the time comes to place my order with BST I will ask if they can take PayPal and if not their total price must be much better than EBay to take my chances and give them my credit card number.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EBay vs AliExpress-vfd1-jpg   EBay vs AliExpress-vfd2-jpg  
    Nicolas

Downloads
    Uploads

A lot of folk have moved away from Paypal and are now using their Visa cards because, apparently, the Visa warranty is a lot better than PayPal's. Hearsay, Your Honour, I've not had to lodge a reversal request with Visa yet. Your mileage may vary.

Downloads
    Uploads

I buy from eBay for 15+ years now and never had the need to lodge a complaint either however God forbid if I ever had to do one I will give my chances a big zero to be successful with either Visa or PayPal. Dealing with the Chinese it’s a completely different ball game.

But I did lodge twice a complaint with the sellers because it was 2+ months to get my small package (1 was a voltmeter $2.50 and the other cable glands $4.00) and they gladly refunded my money which I paid back when the items finally were received.

I will never understand why it takes 2+ months to get an airmail package from China. Do these guys walk to the nearest post office? lol

Nicolas

Downloads
    Uploads

When you apply with Visa for a reversal, you're not dealing with China. You're dealing with Visa.

The delay is most likely because the "shop" you're buying from is waiting for a bunch of other orders from people like you to get together a big enough order to get wholesale discounts or MOQs without actually having to deal with the cost of holding stock.

I've gotten bloody ruthless with the lying sods over this - fair enough if it's a couple of days but one day after the predicted shipping time of 2-3 weeks has expired I'm after them chasing a refund for non-delivery. Because they're taking the mickey if it goes that long.

Downloads
    Uploads

I learn a lot from you mate and what you are saying makes sense.

When I pay on eBay for small items like switches etc. the next day I get an email saying item has been shipped. But perhaps that email is just to satisfy eBay requirements and the item is not shipped yet but they are waiting to get more orders etc. That will explain the long delivery time.

With the ball screws I know the seller has to send the items for machining the ends and that takes about 7 days and then I get the FedEx tracking number and within a week the items are here.

On my post #6 do you know why some VFD’s have the knob and some they don’t?

Nicolas

Downloads
    Uploads

I will give my chances a big zero to be successful with either Visa or PayPal. Dealing with the Chinese it’s a completely different ball game.
    But you are not dealing with the Chinese when you speak to a CC or Paypal. You are dealing with Western financial institutions.
    And in fact I have had good responses from both over the years, and also from eBay.

Mind you, I have also had good responses from most Chinese eBay vendors as well. They seem to place a huge significance on getting a 5* rating from every customer, and will go to considerable lengths to keep you happy. They rely very much on reputation and face. So far only one exception to that in many years.

AliExpress will not take Paypal, and I ask why not? Is it because Paypal is external with strict rules they do enforce - compared to AliPay which is internal? I don't know, but I do have choices.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

I realize I deal with Western financial institutions but I though with the language difference it doesn’t matter. In any case I hope I will never have to resort to any dispute of this kind, just too time consuming.

It’s true the sellers will do anything to get their 5 stars, must have something to do with the eBay rules and perhaps the more stars they get the less commissions they pay to eBay.

Not accepting PayPal is a big hassle with Aliexpress but I’m sure they don’t care

Nicolas

Downloads
    Uploads

Or because Paypal charges too much for their tight margins?

Anyway. Chinese eBay supplier + "Your item has shipped" = "bwahahahaha, pull the other one"

The knob? Well it's a lot easier and quicker than mashing on the up and down arrows if you're not driving the spindle from a computer, I guess.

Downloads
    Uploads

Not accepting PayPal is a big hassle with Aliexpress but I’m sure they don’t care
    Probably not. But I do.
    In effect, Paypal acts as a fairly reliable escrow service.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Reasonable for purchasers, anyway. Which is great for me as I don't sell much on fleaBay.

Too many horror stories about PayPal going bad for vendors for my comfort to use it to sell, though.