Grizzly G0602 vs Southbend SB1001 - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grizzly G0602 vs Southbend SB1001

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    Happy to hear your initial impression is pretty good.

As to the spindle speed indicator it may be an issue of being out of range thus the zero speed indication with very slow RPMs. In otherwords at slow RPMs the counter doesn't receive updates fast enough to produce valid readings. This is a condition separate from any possible calibration issue you may have. It is interesting that you can get down that low RPM wise, is the drive still smooth at such low speeds?

I suspect you will be very happy with this lathe. As stated previously my last trip to the Griz store result in just a quick glance but the machine looked pretty nice during that brief moment.
    You are absolutely correct, there is an encoder on the spindle and it seems that anything under 47 rpm must be out of range. To answer your question, the no load and light load rpm is very smooth at settings just under 47 rpm.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by abec1971 View Post
    Actually the pictures on Grizzly's web site are very good, and I don't think I can top them, here's the link: SB1001 8K

If there are any other parts of the lathe that you'd like me to take pictures of, let me know and I'd be more than happy to do that.
    A pic of the power-plant would be nice. The drive on this thing is interesting and I suspect a good part of the value in the machine.
    That said, here is a picture of the lathe being hoisted onto my home-made bench.
    Nice crane! That is something i need to get, ideally one easy to knock down.
    The bench is 3 ft tall x 4 ft long. Don't laugh, I had to do that operation in the "non-workshop" part of the basement....my wife nearly had a fit...
    Oops. You should tell her sharing leads to happiness. Thankfully I have most of my basement allocated to "shop".

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Below is a picture of the drive. The motor is burried in sheet metal, but it's a 1.5hp AC motor (120 Volt, 10 Amp max). The motor drives the spindle via two belts. The way I currently have the second drive belt (the one between the spindle and the idler) set up is for low rpm through 500 rpm. Moving the belt to the other set of sheaves gets you 180 rmp through max rpm. The set of gerabelts on the right drive the leadscrew. It requires change pulleys, which I knew up front.

The crane is a 2 ton cherry picker, which I found on Craigslist some time ago. It's not the folding type, but it breaks down in about 15 minutes.

As far as the wife, I believe that she's filling out divorce papers as I'm writing this....I guess I'd better go now....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grizzly G0602 vs Southbend SB1001-lathe-drive-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Just a belated comment on the G0602:

The spindle bore is actually 1 1/16 inch, and I have through-chucked 1" diameter material.

Removing everything but spindle head and motor got the weight down to about 263 pounds.

Tear down:
    Page 87

CR.

http://crevicereamer.com
    Too many PMs. Email me to my name plus At A O L dot com.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Speaking of through bore sizes....

Since the Sout Bend comes with a 4" 3-jaw chuck, which has only a 0.8" through hole (I knew this upfront), I bought the 6" chuck from Grizzly. I was able to install it, but if you look at the picture below, you'll notice that they left no room to spare......there is about 0.000001" of clearance between the chuck and the sheet metal enclosure......

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grizzly G0602 vs Southbend SB1001-6-inch-chuck-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Sound like it is time for a sheet metal spacer.

Since the Sout Bend comes with a 4" 3-jaw chuck, which has only a 0.8" through hole (I knew this upfront), I bought the 6" chuck from Grizzly. I was able to install it, but if you look at the picture below, you'll notice that they left no room to spare......there is about 0.000001" of clearance between the chuck and the sheet metal enclosure......
    Looks nice! I'm beginning to wish this lathe was available years ago when I purchased my 9x20.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default I have one!

Hello Gentlemen,

Just stumbled across this thread. I purchased an SB1001 about 5 months ago for the company that I work for. I have been very pleased with the machine since it replaced an older Craftsman(Atlas) Professional 12x36. I bought the 5" SB chuck from Grizzly as a replacement for the stock 4" since I wanted 2-piece jaws and not solid jaws. It is a much better chuck (TIR less than 0.0005" that I measured with a 5" long 3/8" drill rod 2" from the chuck jaws using a B&S Bestest dial indicator). I have been wanting to post a review of the lathe but work has been keeping me busy (just purchased a G0704 and am converting it to CNC) since it is just me and the boss (guess who gets to do all the work). Once the work calms down, I'll get my review posted and some of the mods that I have made to help me use the machine to its fullest potential.

By the way, when I was looking at lathes I checked out the Wabeco D4000 and D6000. I believe that the SB1001 is a copy of the D4000 with a few D6000 features added in. Also, after having a QCGB on the Craftsman, I love having the timing belts as they are much quieter than the gears. I was thinking of converting this over to CNC as well so the absence of the QCGB isn't a big deal to me.

I did add a DRO Pros digital readout to it (magnetic scales). Well worth the investment.

One quick correction: it was stated earlier that the motor is 120V AC, it's actually a 120V brushless DC motor.

- Sean

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello all,

@abec1971
    any updates possible, on how do you like this machine in the meanwhile?
    I would certainly appreciate any information, because my index finger is hovering over the order button for one of those.

thanks,
    Chris

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Finding ANY information on the SB1001, 8k is impossible. I believe only three people on the planet have purchased them, and to that extent there are no real reviews. We can speculate all we want about weight and the country of origin, but until someone posts videos, and a nice commentary regarding its function, we're just throwing darts in the dark. There are plenty of good lathes out there that look poor on paper (many of the older ones), and yet they function beautifully. So, it's a mytery until we get some good constructive feedback, and there isn't any yet.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Any more updates on the SB1001? My mouse pointer is also hovering over the order button. I've been following this thread from afar but decided to bump it myself to see if I can stir up any more updates

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dhiser View Post
    Any more updates on the SB1001? My mouse pointer is also hovering over the order button. I've been following this thread from afar but decided to bump it myself to see if I can stir up any more updates

I've had the SB1001 for over six months now and generally I'm pretty happy with it. I've found two minor problems, one is that the toolpost locking nuts are difficult to access in certain toolpost orientations. As a result I once broke one of the T-bolts, that hold hold down the toolpost. The other problem is that for singlepoint threading, with some of the sheave combinations, you end up running the gearbelt on flangeless sheaves and the belt walks off. Not a big deal to add your own flange, but it just wasn't thought out as well as it should have been. Other than that, like I said, it's a very good lathe.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the update! In your opinion is it worth the ~$1000 premium over the Grizzly G0602?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the update! In your opinion is it worth the ~$1000 premium over the Grizzly G0602?
    Difficult to answer, as I had never used the Grizzly. That said, with hindsight 20/20, I would still go the Sount Bend as the quality is there and I think it's well worth the price I paid for it. Also, I did have a bad experience with an Enco lathe in the mid 1990's and I now tend to shy away from the more "economic" machines. Let us know what you decide on.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All,
    I just bought Sb1001 lathe, its really built so nicely . Bought MT3 collet set from Grizzly to turn standard inches workpieces. MT4.5 to MT3 sleeve they send along the machine did not fit on spindle awaiting the replacement for the same. Overall very happy to have this machine my my little workshop.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just brought home an SB1001. I will try to start a new thread, don't want to hijack this one.
    Mikbul

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Talked face to face with salesman at Muncy yesterday while I was picking up mySB1001. I asked if many have been sold and he replied since the major sale price many have been sold so it's just a matter of time before the reviews start popping up. I was disappointed with the cleaning job on the display, might call and complain about that. Certainly doesn't help sales!

New to this site. Why are my posts going to the top of the first page? And that's not the quote I used. It was supposed to be Plastictrogan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've had the SB1001 for over six months now and generally I'm pretty happy with it. I've found two minor problems, one is that the toolpost locking nuts are difficult to access in certain toolpost orientations. As a result I once broke one of the T-bolts, that hold hold down the toolpost. The other problem is that for singlepoint threading, with some of the sheave combinations, you end up running the gearbelt on flangeless sheaves and the belt walks off. Not a big deal to add your own flange, but it just wasn't thought out as well as it should have been. Other than that, like I said, it's a very good lathe.
    I've had no problem with the compound locking nuts? Sure your not over tightening them? They only need to be snugged up.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Aren't your jaws going to hit if you turn them around or go with bigger stock?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: I have one!

Hi All:

This forum is huge. I wasn't sure the best place to post this. Hopefully I can get the answers I need here.

I am looking at buying a Southbend SB1001 8K lathe because - based on all my reading here- this is a higher quality lathe for the small Chinese made lathes. My intentions are to Convert it to CNC. I have run into a few issues though.
    1). I hear the 8K might be discontinued and parts may be hard to get. Can anyone confirm that?
    2). I don't see anyone that has converted this lathe to CNC
    3). I can't seem to fin any 8X conversion kits around. Does anyone do this....anywhere.?

If the SB1001 8K is not a good candidate, than does anyone have advice for one that is? I am limited on space, so the 8K is about as large as I can fit.

Thanks.

Mike Norman
    G-Force Racing Development
    www.mngforce.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12