Africa My CNC Build

Thread: My CNC Build

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default My CNC Build

Hi all, I was recently motivated by a friend of mine(Vaughan) to build a CNC, I am an IT tech, but have always been in to my woodworking so thought it would be a nice project.

I am so glad that I found a couple of us SA peeps here. Well thought Ii would share my experiences, up's and down so that the next person can learn from my mistakes and may be help me along the way.

So where do I start ??

1. Design:
    Well this was the hard part to make an commitment to the design, I read a lot of forums and spoke to everyone that would listen.
    CNC Cookbook help me a lot
    I finally settled on a moving gantry as I was more in to woodworking then machining. I also tried to skip part of the learning curve by going bigger so that I would not need to purchase upgrade later in live, not sure this was the best idea , but I am committed now
    Part of design questions was size of motors, drive system, and the size of the CNC table. I will supple a list of sources of all the items I eventually bought, with photos of my build to date.

If you see anything I can improve on please let me know, if you have questions fire away, I am not sure I have any answers for you , but will try.
    Here is my first design, table dimensions are 1600mm x 2200mm. I will post updates and changes I made along the way, but just wanted you to see what I was aiming for.

My CNC Build-cnc-v1-jpg

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My CNC Build-cnc-v1-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: My CNC Build

Hi where do you stay in South Africa? Interested to build one myself. Stepper motor size? Estimate Cost? Are you using ardiono for driver?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Hennies, I am in East London, probably the worst place in SA from product availability, but the hard part is over. My stepper motor size? I went a bit bigger then most with Nema 34 (12Nm) Hi torque motors, they might be an overkill, but I did not have the appetite to buy small steppers and then upgrade to larger ones later. I do believe Nema 23 would do the job as well. I was advised by my friend to buy it in a kit as it is easier and I would recommend the same. Here is the kit I went with: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Best-Selling-Wantai-4-Axis-Nema-34-Stepper-Motor-Dual-Shaft-85BYGH450C-012B-1600oz-in-Driver/714368268.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.yXFsyB What size table are you planning on ? I would also say if you plan to put reduction gear in play that would affect the size of motor as well, Mine will go straight on to the ball-screw's, if I went with a rack and pinion, and did a 5:1 or 10:1 reduction then Nema 34 would be serious overkill. I am using a USB Breakout Board for the Marc3 or similar G Code processor (USB CNC Controller). You will see that the kit comes with a breakout board, but i do not like the parallel port type. If I had the cash i would go for the Ethernet Smooth Stepper, but that is not an option for now. The cost for my build is a bit high, but then I do have a couple of luxury items in it, I am sure I could cut the cost in some areas by a large margin if I chose to build /weld. How much are you planing / hoping to spend ?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi

How long did it take to order and delivery of the cnc kit. Where did you buy the rack and pinion? How will you reduse backlash on rack and pinion?

Hennie

Quote Originally Posted by Earthaddict View Post
    Hi Hennies, I am in East London, probably the worst place in SA from product availability, but the hard part is over. My stepper motor size? I went a bit bigger then most with Nema 34 (12Nm) Hi torque motors, they might be an overkill, but I did not have the appetite to buy small steppers and then upgrade to larger ones later. I do believe Nema 23 would do the job as well. I was advised by my friend to buy it in a kit as it is easier and I would recommend the same. Here is the kit I went with: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Best-Selling-Wantai-4-Axis-Nema-34-Stepper-Motor-Dual-Shaft-85BYGH450C-012B-1600oz-in-Driver/714368268.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.yXFsyB What size table are you planning on ? I would also say if you plan to put reduction gear in play that would affect the size of motor as well, Mine will go straight on to the ball-screw's, if I went with a rack and pinion, and did a 5:1 or 10:1 reduction then Nema 34 would be serious overkill. I am using a USB Breakout Board for the Marc3 or similar G Code processor (USB CNC Controller). You will see that the kit comes with a breakout board, but i do not like the parallel port type. If I had the cash i would go for the Ethernet Smooth Stepper, but that is not an option for now. The cost for my build is a bit high, but then I do have a couple of luxury items in it, I am sure I could cut the cost in some areas by a large margin if I chose to build /weld. How much are you planing / hoping to spend ?