Africa Build log - my hobby CNC build

Thread: Build log - my hobby CNC build

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Build log - my hobby CNC build

Hey guys,

I'm a hobbyist of many disciplines and I love building, creating. There was a point where I realised I'd reached the limits of what my hands alone were able to create and that I needed tooling that would allow me to create with greater precision and consistency so I decided to build a 3D printer. Part of the challenge for me was building something completely out of my range of capability, and possible innovate in some form, but as I researched, I found that developing a 3D printer from scratch was pointless due to the vast availability of commercially available printers and systems. I couldn't justify the cost when I weighed up the limitations of additive CNC systems and thats when I turned my attention to CNC machining. I havent totally abandoned the 3D printer, I intend to add an extruder to my mill at a later stage.

I watched hundreds of videos on Youtube of industrial machines, hobby machines and a few commercially available desktop units, needless to say... I fell hopelessy and absolutely in LOVE with CNC Machining. I set my sights on building a CNC mill, mainly down to the large variety of machinable materials available. I started this project in 2015 and it has turned into a full-blown obsession for me. Im now on the second iteration of the machine and its almost ready to roll, as of today, I'm awaiting the delivery of the final component - the spindle. I'm sharing my journey in the hope that it will help some of you, my fellow hobbyists and CNC professionals alike. I'll be as detailed as I can, but If I miss anything please feel free to ask. Disclaimer - this is merely a documentation of my project, if you choose to follow my advice - you do so willingly and at your own risk.

Part 1 - Parts list (I'll keep adding as I progress and remember stuff)

Controller:
    1x Arduino Uno
    1x Protoneer CNC Shield V3.00
    4x Pololu A489 Stepper Driver

Tooling:
    500w ER11 Air cooled 52mm CNC Spindle (3k-12k rpm) + Mount clamp

Power:
    1x 48v 7.5A PS (Steppers)
    1x 12V 20A PS (Spindle)
    1x 5V 2A PS (Arduino)

Components: Motion

3x Nema 17 Bipolar Stepper motors
    1x (X) 500mmx8mmx2mm pitch Lead screw
    1x (Y) 700mmx8mmx2mm pitch Lead screw
    1x (Z) 300mmx8mmx2mm pitch Lead screw
    6x 6.35x8mm Jaw Shaft Coupler (I got one spare for each axis - machine uses 3)
    6x 8mmx2mm Brass Lead nuts (2 per axis)
    2x 8mm ID KP08 Pillow Block mount bearing (lead screws)
    4x 8mm ID KFL08 Pillow Block Flange bearing (lead screws)

Components: Frame and support
    2x 500mm Stainless 12mm Linear shaft rail (X)
    2x 300mm Stainless 12mm Linear shaft rail (Y)
    2x 700mm Stainless 12mm Linear shaft rail (Z)
    4X SC12UU Pillow block mount Linear bearings (Y)
    2X SCS12LUU Pillow block mount Linear bearings (Z)
    4X LME12UU Linear bearings (X)
    4X SK12 Linear shaft support (Y)
    1X 1m Cable Drag chain

Components: Electronics
    6x Roller Lever micro limit switches
    Cables and wiring
    1x Emergency Stop switch
    3x momentary push-buttons (Abort, Hold, Resume)

Frame: Materials
    6m 25x25 Alu square tube
    10m 25mm Alu Angle
    8x 25mm Corner connects
    3m Alu C-Profile
    (Makers Rails would be a better option - I cant source them cheaply where I live)

Misc: consumables
    Heat shrink
    Insulation Tape
    2-part expoxy
    Double Sided tape
    Blind Rivets
    50x M5x30 machine screws + nuts
    Threadlocker

Essential Tools:
    Wood Saw
    Hack Saw
    NT Cutter / Box Cutter
    Screwdrivers
    Wire cutters / Stripper
    Cordless Drill
    Drill Press
    Center punch
    Sharp set of drill bits
    Countersink tool
    Miter Box
    Workshop Ruler
    Angle tool
    Math set (or angle finder)
    Pencil, Sharpie
    Eye Protection

Part 2: A video I'm compiling that documents the V1 build with photos and comments

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Build log - my hobby CNC build

Ah man you have to hurry up with that video! At least a teaser of the design concept?

Please let me know how those stepper drivers perform with that CNC shield on the Arduino, I actually have 3 Uno's just lying around at the moment (the university hands them out to us every semester) and I feel I should use at least one of them for something on my machine, just not sure what!

I was just checking the specs of those drivers, I didn't find any A489's so I assume you meant the A4988's but I noticed that they accept anything between 8-35V however you have a 48V power supply? Just want to make sure you don't fry anything!

Also perhaps ask a moderator to move this thread into the Wood Router Project Log section, should get more attention there

Cheers
    Kevin

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Agera1993 View Post
    Ah man you have to hurry up with that video! At least a teaser of the design concept?

Please let me know how those stepper drivers perform with that CNC shield on the Arduino, I actually have 3 Uno's just lying around at the moment (the university hands them out to us every semester) and I feel I should use at least one of them for something on my machine, just not sure what!

I was just checking the specs of those drivers, I didn't find any A489's so I assume you meant the A4988's but I noticed that they accept anything between 8-35V however you have a 48V power supply? Just want to make sure you don't fry anything!

Also perhaps ask a moderator to move this thread into the Wood Router Project Log section, should get more attention there

Cheers
    Kevin
    Ah man, thanks for spotting that typo, yes they are indeed A4988 drivers I cant seem to edit my post but I'll update it as soon as I figure that out. I should also have mentioned that the power supply is an adjustable 12-48v unit - I'm running it at 24V at the moment.

PS: Video uploading to Youtube as I type this

@mods, please assist with thread move

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

And.. the video as promised. Its a quick-and-dirty one

Downloads
    Uploads

How are you going to run your 500 watt spindle on that 12v 20A (240watt) power supply?

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by steprepeat View Post
    And.. the video as promised. Its a quick-and-dirty one
    Was a really good video actually, and you didn't pair it with crap music either

As for scrapping the MDF design that's a bummer :/ I couldn't afford to make my entire machine out of aluminium so I did use MDF in the design as well which reminds me - if you need MDF cut to precise dimensions I recommend going to Chamberlains as they have a CNC controlled saw machine. I got all my MDF cut there and they charge R2.50 per cut which is reasonable.

I actually wish I had taken more pics during my build as well, it's over here if you want to take a look.

OH and there's a convention going on at the moment called Machine Tools Africa 2017 in Nasrec JHB, I went there with a few mates this afternoon and it was absolutely amazing! Tomorrow is the last day (12 May) and entrance is free if you register online. Honestly if you have work tomorrow, do yourself a favor and call in sick or something because it really is just that good. The manufacturers also have the CNC machines doing live demonstrations of their capabilities etc.

Keep us updated with the build.

Cheers

Last edited by Agera1993; 05-10-2017 at 06:48 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    How are you going to run your 500 watt spindle on that 12v 20A (240watt) power supply?
    Im afraid my inability to edit the post leaves me unable to fix all the typos the power supply for the spindle is a 100V 6A unit (600W)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Agera1993 View Post
    Was a really good video actually, and you didn't pair it with crap music either

As for scrapping the MDF design that's a bummer :/ I couldn't afford to make my entire machine out of aluminium so I did use MDF in the design as well which reminds me - if you need MDF cut to precise dimensions I recommend going to Chamberlains as they have a CNC controlled saw machine. I got all my MDF cut there and they charge R2.50 per cut which is reasonable.

I actually wish I had taken more pics during my build as well, it's over here if you want to take a look.

OH and there's a convention going on at the moment called Machine Tools Africa 2017 in Nasrec JHB, I went there with a few mates this afternoon and it was absolutely amazing! Tomorrow is the last day (12 May) and entrance is free if you register online. Honestly if you have work tomorrow, do yourself a favor and call in sick or something because it really is just that good. The manufacturers also have the CNC machines doing live demonstrations of their capabilities etc.

Keep us updated with the build.

Cheers
    Thanks mate, appreciate the kind words. Would have loved to attend the expo too, but alas, Im all the way in Durban