DIY plasma cutting table with a water pan

Thread: DIY plasma cutting table with a water pan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default DIY plasma cutting table with a water pan

Hi everyone,

I'm intending to make my own plasma cutting water table, but being a beginner with plasma, will appreciate any advice. I have 3 questions:
    1. To avoid all the hassle of the water pan rusting and having to add an anti-rust substance to the water, why can it not be made of stainless steel or aluminium? Are there any technical reasons why these metals would be unsuitable? Or is it simply a cost factor?
    2. How deep should the pan be?
    3. Must the support ribs inside the pan be curved? If so, what is the reason, why can they not be straight?

Thanks,
    enzed

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by enzed; 08-23-2015 at 01:05 AM. Reason: to clarify and shorten

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: DIY plasma cutting table with a water pan

The curved ribs are just to give a bit of stability. With straight ribs, when you load thicker / heavier stock, the ribs flex while the substrate is loaded.
    Also, with straight ribs there is the small chance that a straight cut in the Y direction may follow the same path as the rib underneath. With a curved rib it is not possible.
    The 1500 x 3000mm cnc plasma table at work has got straight ribs, but I see the 1200x2500mm version of the same manufacturer advertised in Popular Mechanics has the curved ribs.

So, either will work - they just have to be saw-toothed on the top. We use 3mm MS plate for the ribs, and they last a long time - even with the plasma having a rather busy schedule.

Depth is not that big of a deal. About 50mm deep should give you enough space to fit suitably strong ribs.

You will have to use additives in the water even with a stainless system - in order to prevent the build-up of algae. (Or you will have to drain and re-fill regularly)
    The stainless ribs will also be expensive, considering they are a consumable as well.

We use water solluble oil in the water, and drain, filter, and re-fill the bed once per month. Top ups are supposed to be with the oil/water mix, although human nature means it is usually just water. The monthly recharge sees some fresh oil added.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello H.I.P., I am very grateful for your detailed response, it is much appreciated and changes the picture. One more question please: can you perhaps tell me what the water-soluble oil is that you use with your machine, which I presume also prevents the development of algae? Thanks again and best wishes, enzed

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ENZED View Post
    Hello H.I.P., I am very grateful for your detailed response, it is much appreciated and changes the picture. One more question please: can you perhaps tell me what the water-soluble oil is that you use with your machine, which I presume also prevents the development of algae? Thanks again and best wishes, enzed
    It is an oil made by Fuchs. Any machinetool outlet will stock it or something similar. It is normally used to cool the cutters in lathes and milling machines. We buy it in 25 litre plastic container. I'll have to check on the oil/water ratio for you. The technition of Clearcut is flying in today from South Africa to service the plasma table. We will refill with a fresh mix afterwards. We have a public holiday today, so I am in no hurry to get to work. Will swing by a bit later to see how things are going.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks again for the information HIP, it is much appreciated and for a beginner, it answers one more question in a vast field - I certainly have lots to learn! Best wishes, enzed