Why no South African posts? - Page 5

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Why no South African posts?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I like the idea of watercooled. The amount of energy heat)you can remove using water as a coolant is just so much more. I think that the acchilles heel of all high speed spindles is high temperature. The shafts and housing are respectively steel and alum, and when the temp starts increasing, the axial load on the bearings increase tremendously.
    From what I can gather, the watercooling is as simple as routing two tubes with your loom, and having a nice large reservoir of water (probably with antifreeze or soluble oil to extend the lifetime) and a small pump. It certainly warrants thought, but nothing a cnc machine builder cannot handle.

I would very seriously suggest designing your setup to accept a proper spindle from the start. These brushed motors in the normal hand-held routers are simply not designed to handle the duty cycle you will subject it to when you start executing long toolpaths. I routinely cut for three hours at a time, twice a day....

That laminate trimmer does seem nice though, you dont have to hack it to fit, and can probably replace it once or twice under warranty before someone's moer pluks on the supplier's side.

I love the fact that the swearword filters do not speak afrikaans...

Currently I use a little slice of heaven called a quali-prod router. Chinese and branded locally, it has handled some serious abuse, and I own four spent carcasses now! I keep one as a backup, and cut with the other until the bearings go, Then it is switched out, and the old one gets reconditioned ready for action. Tedious at best, and I can not let the machine work and carry on with something else. Which is one of the largest advantages to a CNC.

By the way, the new website is up:

Index

Have a nice day

Dries

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ah, I see. The watercooling thing makes sense, thanks for that.

Well, seeing as I'm still undecided about the spindle and because I don't know nearly enough, I'll probably hold off on getting one for now. As a start I'll grab that Makita router and use it for now (it's cheap enough and can be used elsewhere), till I learn more about this stuff. I was going to make a router clamp so that it's easy enough to just remove it and replace with a spindle anyway.

I guess I should probably start a thread of my own rather...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That toolstop website did manage to mess up my evening...Have you bought from them? I'll be getting some bits for a start to see. Very good prices.

You're right of course that little router will make a very useful addition in any event. You still need a handheld router for other jobs.

I'm off to go and find a spindle now.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hehe, nope. I've not bought from them. Their site was the first one that popped up showing the router. I'm actually getting it from a local outfit here in Benoni (it's a little cheaper and on special - just can't ignore a special!) But as far as routers go, I've got 3 already

And stoppit with the spindle now - you gonna make me get one as well! But seriously, let me know how it works out for you because ultimately it's also something I want. I just have to pull back on the spending now as I've already poured R15k into this already and I've not even looked at the frame yet. I'm waiting for all the bits to get here so I can lay it all out and double check sizes before I order the profiles from Cncdirect.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi guys,

Just wanted to introduce myself here as this is the "Local is lekka" thread. I live in Durban and keep myself busy with automation / electronics. In the last couple of months I have been doing so much research into this CNC router subject that my head is spinning.

Glad to see that we are starting to get an active community here in SA. Will start posting pics of the design and build process once I get started.

Cheers
    Andre

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Please do. I've got most of the bits for my project today, so I'm hoping to have my build completed this holiday season as well.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Frans did you get around to building this furnace?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by gbyleveldt View Post
    Hehe, nope. I've not bought from them. Their site was the first one that popped up showing the router. I'm actually getting it from a local outfit here in Benoni (it's a little cheaper and on special - just can't ignore a special!) But as far as routers go, I've got 3 already

And stoppit with the spindle now - you gonna make me get one as well! But seriously, let me know how it works out for you because ultimately it's also something I want. I just have to pull back on the spending now as I've already poured R15k into this already and I've not even looked at the frame yet. I'm waiting for all the bits to get here so I can lay it all out and double check sizes before I order the profiles from Cncdirect.
    I bought a 1.1 Kw Spindle and a Fiji controller from a company in England and the cost was 561 pounds (about R7800) It is brush less and air cooled. The brushed motors is just to noisy and if you work out of your garage you will have the neighbor at your door. Water cooled spindles have a longer duty cycle
    Donovan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DNSmith View Post
    I bought a 1.1 Kw Spindle and a Fiji controller from a company in England and the cost was 561 pounds (about R7800) It is brush less and air cooled. The brushed motors is just to noisy and if you work out of your garage you will have the neighbor at your door. Water cooled spindles have a longer duty cycle
    Donovan
    Thanks for that. Yup, I ended up with a proper spindle as well - the router was just too noisy. The spindles work really, really well I must say. I'm very happy I ended up taking the plunge!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I bought a Kress Fme1000 spindle from the guys at cnc solutions after using a Bosch blue router. The Kress is fantastic. Smooth. The Bosch router worked for a while but when the bearings started going it had to get something proper. I looked at the Chinese ones on eBay and they appear to work well from what I have read, but I must say, I am very happy with the Kress. Cost was about R2,000 if I remember correctly.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

^^^ It so happens that I've bought a Kress FME-1050 spindle as well. At the time, CNC Solutions didnt have stock so I ended up importing it. As with everything on my machine, I ended up buying double of everything, hehehe...

The unfortunate thing is that I'm not using the Kress at all. In fact, its only got 5 minutes of use and I got it with 4 extra collets and the mounting bracket. Not sure how advertising works here, so rather PM me with an offer if anyone is interested. Twist my arm, its pretty flexible

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The only thing with the Kress is that I have not yet figured out a way to mount the RPM sensor for my SuperPID speed control (www.SuperPID.com - Super-PID Closed-loop Router Speed Controller). On the Bosch (BOSCH Palm Router GMR 1) it fitted perfectly and worked really well.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have just bought a 4 access router. The software that the machine comes with is called Ucancam. Has anybody used this software

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just to show what that little Makita router can do when you restrict depth of cut compared to what a Spindle would do: I am impressed after shunting one into service while my Spindle gets repaired (motor rotor was attached with a tiny spot of locktite so it's getting a new set of P5 bearings and dynamic balancing). I duct-taped the dust extraction on as the dust-foot attaches to the spindle.

Here a 3-odd mm cut at 12m/min at full tilt. It's no spindle, but it's lowest speed settin makes 6mm ali cutting feasible (no VMC, just handy to make up small adapter plates and rough out larger work for final machining/reaming/similar)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Guys,I am also from limpopo and my current hobby is building custom overbarrel suppressors for rifles. I am however a big fan of custom and laminated riflestocks and Have been looking to get a 3axis cnc router to help me out. Nothing big I need about 1000mm x400mm cutting area so its really not a big machine.I would like to know if it is beter to build the machine myself or import one from china? I would apreciate it if you can point me to a legit seller in this case.
    thanx

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi GB bylefeldt
    Is the spindle still available
    Thanks
    Piet

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So the chinese spindle ( someone must teach auto correct that the spelling is SPINDLE and not SPINDEL) and VFD has been lying in a box behind my desk for a few months now. It does look like a pretty sweet machine though.
    It has been joined by all the makings for three 3:1 reduction drives (using timing belts and pulleys) and brand new linear guides to cover the 1.3x2.8 meter build I have in mind.
    I am actually busy designing the beast and cleaning up the shop in preparation. Now if only I can get the bloody fence built and the inside of the house painted, I can start playing again.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Drieslaas

You now it is work(For the wife) first and then play, hehehe.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi everyone

I have just put my small CNC up for sale

shameless plug for my advert

have a look here

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/south-...-cnc-sale.html

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi guys! I'm new in the cnc business and in the forum too!
    Need little help please!
    I have breakout board V5 type from China and is working fine om my plasma table,but i cannot set the pins and ports to trigger the torch!
    If any one have the same breakout board and know how to set the ports and pins to trigger the (spindle) torch relay,please let me know!
    I did contact the seller ,but hi know nothing about that!
    Please help!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast