Significant changes in Solidworks in the last four years?

Thread: Significant changes in Solidworks in the last four years?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Significant changes in Solidworks in the last four years?

Hi,
    can anyone here tell me if there have been significant changes in Solidworks in the last four years. I have acess to SW2003 but I need to buy a book to learn how to use it, there seems to be a reasonable supply of sw books that are based on earlier versions which generaly go cheaply on ebay, would it be ok to learn from one of these older books or would I be better of to pay a bit more for a newer book for the 2003 version.
    Thanks
    Splint

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

There were'nt alot of significant changes from 2000-2003. Others may not agree but as far as the basics go there were'nt alot of changes. There were a few new tools and improvements in the drawing and sketches and assemblys but most all of the important tools are the same. There is a pretty significant change in 2004. We just upgrade to 2004 and it's a good deal different. It still has all the basics stuff as the earlier versions but alot of new tools and shortcuts. If you mainly want to learn the part making drawing and assembly features an older book will do you well. If you want to learn more of the advanced features buy a newer book.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

splint - also, there are lots of good tutorials

i have honeslty learned more from free tutorials from websites, than i did from that $70 "engineering design with solidworks" or whatever.

it is basically the tutorials that come with solidworks... frustrating. and its not fun to read or work with.. design books should be fun, not a rip off. i wish i could remember the specific title...

Design & Development
    My Portfolio: www.robertguyser.com | CAD Blog I Contribute to: http://www.jeffcad.info

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I agree with the others, though I do not have an in depth knowledge of the software. Anything you could learn from old books, you could most likely learn from tutorials. And if you require more specific knowledge then you should probably buy a newer book.

Like was said above, the basics are the same, but in 2004 I think the assemblies, ability to read different file types, and basic COSMOS/analysis tools are improved.

--Jay

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for your input guys, I've been searching around the web for tutorials for Solidworks and I've found that most search results are leaders for books or other search engines, one I did find that was worth a look for an experienced user was at this link http://www.dimontegroup.com/Tutorials.htm If you know of any sites with good tutorials for the new user I'd certainly like to see them.
    Thanks
    Splint

Monkeywrench Technician DareBee's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Splint
    If you work with weldments or assemblies alot you should really go for 2004.
    The alt drag for mating function is really fast.
    I do a lot of structural weldments and framing and 2004 weldment feature has reduced my CAD time by at least 75% in this area.
    I would NEVER go back to 2003 but you may want to wait and see 2005. Beta is testing now and the release date I believe is September

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

2004 has alot of bugs and some of the cam software doesnt like 2004 files . so something for you to look into

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

i have also noticed 2004 crashing alot more than 2003 did... could be my aging windows install... im sure almost any running software could make SW less stable.. id imagine its best to have a fairly "virgin" windows install for it to run in, it is, after all, a $3500 tool.

Design & Development
    My Portfolio: www.robertguyser.com | CAD Blog I Contribute to: http://www.jeffcad.info