graduated scale from POINTS for unequally spaced CURVED SPLINE?

Thread: graduated scale from POINTS for unequally spaced CURVED SPLINE?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default graduated scale from POINTS for unequally spaced CURVED SPLINE?

I need to make an engraved analemma (see pic) and I have made a sketch and spline with the 365 X,Y coordinate data points representing each day of the year. I now would like to use these points, which I used to generate an extruded cut (the material enclosed by the 2 loops of the spline is removed), as points from which to engrave a scale like a protractor or ruler scale to indicate days of the month. I'd like to do this of course without drawing each scale line individually. The line from each point needs to be perpendicular to the cutout at that point, like the scale lines on a protractor would be, ideally each a vee extruded cut. Is there any way to do this in even a partially automated way, maybe with a macro? The points are NOT equally spaced along the spline....

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails graduated scale from POINTS for unequally spaced CURVED SPLINE?-gnomon-gif  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: graduated scale from POINTS for unequally spaced CURVED SPLINE?

Looks like I can generate these points using a macro in Excel spreadsheet and draw the lines point to point, unless someone has a better idea...

See my stuff for sale at http://stores.ebay.com/Industrial-Tool-and-Machine-Works?refid=store

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Tom,

I know its a bit late but can you use a "sketch driven pattern" like in the attached image? Trace over your points with a spline. Use just enough of your points to get a good representation of the curve. Now create a feature (I assume it will be an extruded cut to represent one notch) and pattern it. If for some reason this doesn't work, you may want to to make a boss extrude that isn't merged, pattern it, and then combine the patterned bodies with the main body (but select subtract).

You will probably want to divide the curve into pieces as to not be a figure 8. I would divide it into 4 arcs, do the sketch pattern twice then mirror it.

Make sure to choose "offset curve" and "tangent to curve".

Brian

graduated scale from POINTS for unequally spaced CURVED SPLINE?-sketch-driven-pattern-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

I got wrapped up in some other projects so it is definitely not too late, your idea may work. I'll give it a shot soon.
    thanks!
    tom

See my stuff for sale at http://stores.ebay.com/Industrial-Tool-and-Machine-Works?refid=store

Downloads
    Uploads

I use this method for drawing NACA scoops. But the problem is SW will put a spline point through each point so you will get some wild inflections on the spline so it won't be smooth. Because your graduations are not equally spaced you would need to write a formula which is beyond my experience with something like this. Good luck..

Downloads
    Uploads

I'll fool around with it, if it doesn't work I may be able to generate a data set for a slightly larger sundial and then use those points, but I don't think it will work because of the intersection. Formula may be the only way to go.

Downloads
    Uploads

I worked on this a bit and was able to get a nice sketch driven pattern, but was NOT able to make the extruded cuts perpendicular to the spline, only parallel to each other AND the extrude is mirrored about the spline for some reason, so it cuts into the opposite side of the cutout as well.... Next attempt will be to offset the spline hopefully with the points and work from there unless anyone has a better idea. I didn't see curve driven pattern as a choice on my menu...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails graduated scale from POINTS for unequally spaced CURVED SPLINE?-gradsketch-jpg   graduated scale from POINTS for unequally spaced CURVED SPLINE?-perpendicular-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

ACK, I'm so close now, but I can't see how to get the spacing based on my data points, only equal spacing. is there something I'm missing? I offset the inside spline, and am making a pattern of the cuts...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails graduated scale from POINTS for unequally spaced CURVED SPLINE?-2017-05-01-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I see there is a table driven pattern available if I reformat my data; maybe I can get a combination of the parameters above to generate what I need using a table of those sketch points but driving from the curve. Out of time for tonight though.

Downloads
    Uploads

OK this table driven pattern dialog is not making sense to me, I just want to use the coordinate system that is used for the drawing I already have as I'm using the same data points that the sketch was generated from, I found this video but it is only confusing me more, fast forward to :50 sec

It looks like it is expected that a whole new coordinate system would be created for this, why?