Solidworks Laptop for new employee

Thread: Solidworks Laptop for new employee

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Solidworks Laptop for new employee

I am currently looking to buy a decent laptop for a new employee to run Solidworks. The work being performed will be design oriented towards the making machined components. There will be some assembly drawings but nothing too extravagant. Will the following HP Envy 17.3 Laptop do the job?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-envy-...&skuId=4221700

Thank you for your input.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Solidworks Laptop for new employee

Looks like that is more than sufficient. It uses the i7 core, 1tb of space and the graphics card is a GeForce 940m which can handle cad/cam with no problem on the rendering of images.

Downloads
    Uploads

if that laptop can run nice games in HD, also music and don't forget that Tomb Raider just dropped in, is perfect ... is no use only to work

also, SolidWorks is veteran, is nice and optimezed, compared to some other stuff, that runs slow on whatever system

and also ... take into consideration that laptop puts hands near the screen, so eyes are to close to it ... consider a nice contrast monitor and daylight first, human conditions and natural body positions ... after that, machine performance ... i use old versions and lower performance machines for new guys, and only when they move good i give them nice tools ...

Downloads
    Uploads

(20 year SW user)

Don't skimp on a laptop. Go for a higher end with a proper graphics card. If it costs upwards of $2500 you're in the right range.

Consider that you're buying a $7500 CAD package and a $50k per year employee don't go with low end models at Best Buy.

I have found excellent deals on refurbed Dells and Xi on Ebay. The life span of my high end Dell laptops is 3 to 4 years. Well worth it to avoid the headache that you will get with lower end laptops NOT made for CAD CAM CAE.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by deadlykitten View Post
    if that laptop can run nice games in HD, also music and don't forget that Tomb Raider just dropped in, is perfect ... is no use only to work

also, SolidWorks is veteran, is nice and optimezed, compared to some other stuff, that runs slow on whatever system

and also ... take into consideration that laptop puts hands near the screen, so eyes are to close to it ... consider a nice contrast monitor and daylight first, human conditions and natural body positions ... after that, machine performance ... i use old versions and lower performance machines for new guys, and only when they move good i give them nice tools ...
    last tomb raider is full of bugs, and also steam platform is full off threads and complains about that game crashes every 5 minutes .... play another

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by deadlykitten View Post

Far out... there is a HUGE difference between specs for a Gaming pc(laptop) and a machine that is suitable for Solidworks.
    Just because you may have a great video card for games, if it not certified for SolidWorks you will be faced with lots of crashes as SW can be very touchy about graphics.
    SW has information on their website regarding Laptops and Graphics card combinations.
    Use this info as a reference, before purchasing anything.
    It will save you lots of frustration later on.

Downloads
    Uploads

yes broby, i just can't wait for Solidworks to produce and sell their own graphic cards

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why wdo you need Solidworks graphic cards when there is always a Nvidia to help you?

Downloads
    Uploads

Because the great majority of "problems" experienced by end users is due to problems with graphics cards.
    this link Graphics Card Drivers | SOLIDWORKS shows you which cards have been tested by Solidworks and will aid greatly in reducing end user problems.
    A high end 3D gaming card is considerably different in performance to a high end 3D card suitable for SW.

Downloads
    Uploads

As I tell anyone that asks me (SW user since V96 (yep, the first year they released)) DON'T cheap out on a graphics card. You're going to run a business on this machine and pay someone 60k per year. Is it worth getting a Best Buy gaming system for $1000 when a proper workstation costs $4000? Nope!!! Not at all. I do a lot of consutling and contract engineering. They waste WAY more than the price of a good laptop workstation than they save. I currently use a Dell precision top of the line. I think I have had 4 crashed grand total in the 3 years I've had it. It's like asking a long haul trucker to pull his trailers with a Hyundai because they cost a lot less than a Peterbuilt. Sure, you might be able to haul 15 tons, but do you want to get where you're going?