What does Solidworks cost?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does Solidworks cost?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

$4495 for the seat I just purchased. $1295 for the maintenance contract that keeps it current and provides support.

Totaly different beast from MDT afaik...... More similiar to Inventor as both are solids native.

Hope that helps. Far more info on comp.cad.solidworks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Last edited by hardmill; 03-25-2004 at 09:38 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

http://www.solidworks.com/pages/news/3DSkills.html

I didn't know if this would be of interest to anyone, but Solidworks is offering a free seminar/training program along with a free personal edition of the software. The software you'll receive isn't the full edition you'd buy (with all the features) but will give you all the necessary junk to learn it, apparently. I'm going to check it out tonight - I'll report back.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

apparantly alibre design has a solidworks type program for around $1000. much more affoardable for personal projects, but i doubt its anywhere near what solidworks is..

SW also offers a educational version for around $250. any version outputs the files needed for CAM programs.. thats a plus - even the free version exports igs and stl .. i think... so it can be used to make many parts i bet..

Design & Development
    My Portfolio: www.robertguyser.com | CAD Blog I Contribute to: http://www.jeffcad.info

Downloads
    Uploads

I think I just saw $8000 for the office premium version :meispoor: scared the bejeesus out of me Maybe i'll buy a pencil lol I suppose it is great if you're making money ie lots of it but interesting and good looking as it is I just cant afford it. It's a shame i'm not a little younger as theres a student version for $99.... I suppose I could shave my beard and dye what little hair I have left

Keith

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

At the shop it is 4k plus the ~1000 dollar yearly fee as dherbman mentioned.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I got my sw student version for my solidworks class at csu fresno for around 50 bucks, and it came with a book with step by step tutorials. No need to be a student, just go to schroff.com they have tutorial books and student versions of solidworks and many other programs. I believe the student version expires in 6 months though.

Downloads
    Uploads

As a slightly lower cost alternative there is Rhino3D. Version 3 is a 3D modeling software (not a true CAD). But combined with something like MadCAD (both are about $500 each) it will do a lot of the things solidworks can.

I an told Rhino v4.0, due sometime is Sept (as of the last timeline I have heard) will incorporate a lot more true CAD features.

Remember, if you intend to do CNC work with solidworks, you not olny need solidworks, but you need something like solidCAM which is also quite costly.

If you cut it to small you can always nail another piece on the end, but if you cut it to big... then what the hell you gonna do?

Steven

Monkeywrench Technician DareBee's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

SW is compatible with most all CAM software.
    Models can be output as any generic format you wish.
    Once you make an ACAD "type" of print you can output that as dwg or dxf.
    ANY CAM worth having will accept 1 or more of these formats.
    I use VisualMill with SW.

www.integratedmechanical.ca

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am thinking about purchasing SW student edition. Where does the student version fall short of the real deal? Everybody seems to love SW, for $90 could I go wrong?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by msomerville
    I am thinking about purchasing SW student edition. Where does the student version fall short of the real deal? Everybody seems to love SW, for $90 could I go wrong?

The student version is supposed to be the same, w/ some feature limitations.. whatever that is.. however anything that you make in the Student version can't be opened in a licenced version of SW. There is supposed to be some conversion possibility enabling a person to convert these files [ provided by the creaters of SW] but I've not heard of anyone getting to use it. I think there is some fairly restrictive measures in place to limit its use to only select files under special criteria.

Jerry [FWIW]

JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have BobCad/Cam it supports SW file extensions, from the sounds of it I wouldn't be able to import a file I created in the student version and create Gcode. I think I still might check it out thought like I said for $90 bucks how could I go wrong?

Downloads
    Uploads

There's no reason not to buy it at that price. If you practice enough and get good at it [all the fuctions] you could go and challenge the 'SolidWorks Professional" exam [ it costs a few bucks to write it]. You'd then get a certificate stating that you've demonstrated knowledge and profficency in all of the SolidWorks functions. It'd be worth a few extra bucks/hr when negotiating for a wage at a new job, once your outta school.

My comment above was simply intended to make you aware that if you created some big project in Sw and then later wanted to produce it.. you'd be in trouble w/out some help from a SW reseller..

Jerry

JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for your input Jerry. I think I will be making a purchase today.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just purchased Solidworks 2007. It cost $3995 plus $1295 for annual maintenance. This is for the basic SW. The annual maintenance is not required, but it includes all future updates, if it's keep current.

I first started learning SW in a community college in 2004. At that time the student version cost $200 and was only available to students actively registered in an approved course. The student version was a very complete full version, including a full version of Cosmosworks. The only restriction was that anything printed had a waterline overprint and it expired in 2 years. The files could be saved and read by other applications.

--Colin--

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Regarding the $100 student version:
    The ironic part is that if you are a student, you are of the generation that grew up on on getting music/videogames/software for free (i.e. illegal).

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by biomed_eng View Post
    Regarding the $100 student version:
    The ironic part is that if you are a student, you are of the generation that grew up on on getting music/videogames/software for free (i.e. illegal).
    <sigh> Not ALL of us did that. Please don't lump all of us in with the "corporations bad, information should be free, I deserve this because I'm special and I shouldn't have to pay for it" crowd.

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot.
    C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default T-Flex does everything that Solid Works does

T-Flex is a full parametric Cad program with modules for Cae,Cam and Dynamic Analysis. The cad software is $2500 and for Students it is free. You can download a 30 day working version including all modules

Harko
    ncmecorp@gmail.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bswaters View Post
    <sigh> Not ALL of us did that. Please don't lump all of us in with the "corporations bad, information should be free, I deserve this because I'm special and I shouldn't have to pay for it" crowd.
    For real! Some of us "kids" (as the older folks like to call us) actually busted our ass's and worked for what we got as "kids". Anyone ever mow a 3acre lot with a 24" push mower in 100* 90%humidity South texas weater in the middle of summer?? I did!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast