What does Solidworks cost? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What does Solidworks cost?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have used the student versions of Solidworks 2006, 2008, and 2009. All of these programs have flawlessly been able to transfer files into MasterCAM X for production in the shop at school. IIRC there is an educational banner on any printed paper and also in the PDF Export of a part print but its not nearly as massive as the AutoCAD banner.

Stuff i can use: AutoCAD 2010, AutoCAD Inventor 2010, Solidworks 2009, MasterCAM X2/X4, CNC's FADAL, and Hurco 3-axis CNC Mill

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default SolidWorks 2011 Costs

I just got a quote sheet from a local distributer:

2011 - Single-User License, Home Use License, 90 Day Warranty
    $ North America License Cost / $ Subscription Service Cost

SolidWorks Products:

SolidWorks Standard
    $4,000 / $1,300

SolidWorks Professional
    $5,500 / $1,500

SolidWorks Premium
    $8,000 / $2,000

There are a number of add-ons you can get... for additional purchase costs and annual maintenance subscriptions.

If you Google SolidWorks Costs and click on "Shopping", you will find student editions (12mo licence, w/ some limitations) starting around $100-$150.

I was also given a quote of $1,400 for a 4 day (32hr) introductory training seminar.

:-)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Personal Edition/Student Version and Licensed Version

DON"T BUY STUDENT VERSION!! Personal Editions are given away for FREE.

Student Version... Personal Edition... they are both the exact same package with the exact same limitations. The SV is what SolidWorks sells to publishers that make a profit on tutorials. The PE is given away to potential customers who are considering buying SolidWorks.

As someone mentioned before you cannot open parts/assemblies/drawings created with a SV or PE on a Licenses Version. However, when somebody takes the PE and tries it out for a period of time AND they purchase a licenses seat the SolidWorks will allow files created with that PE to be opened with only the licenses seat they just purchased. The idea here is that a potential customer won't lose 30 days (or however long they spent trying it out) worth of work when they buy the full version.

The SV, PE, and Education Version (discounted seats sold to highschools and colleges) are all the exact same version with the exact same limitations. The only difference is how long the licenses is good for. The PE and SV come with a 30 days licenses. These licenses can be renewed up to 9 times. SV opens PE and EV files, PE opens SV and EV files.. and EV opens PE and SV files... If you want to learn on your own for free, SolidWorks comes with more comprehensive tutorials in the Help File than the books. I've used the books in school, and I used SolidWorks Help Tutorial at work, I'll reference the Help File any day before I break out one of my books.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I had purchased the student version in the past. The program is the full version and it expires in a given time. The other catch is that the blue prints are all watermarked with the text (Student Version).

Irregardless, this is a great deal and the tutorials are excellent to break you into the software.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12