How to outsource SolidWorks drawings to Manufacturers

Thread: How to outsource SolidWorks drawings to Manufacturers

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default How to outsource SolidWorks drawings to Manufacturers

Hey all, I'm new around and still absorbing basic information RE machining with CNC. I do however have a great deal in drawing.

My big question is what are the standard handover process(es) involved when outsourcing. Would a modeler/designer need to prep the Gcode him/herself or should be expecting a manufacturer to offer this service for a cost, or for free perhaps? What else would I need to prepare for the manufacturer. We are talking about an aluminum based Performance Motorcycle part (racing) in this context.

How does these things normally works in a "few words (please)"

All the best to everybody!

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would say that you would furnish the "finished" part 3D model in one form or another depending on what your vendors CNC programmers machine can read. It could be IGES, which is probably the most common. The vendor would do the G-code programming for the "particular" machine he would be using. Your responsibilty is the finished "part" design only, let the vendor decide how its going to get machined to that stage. Programming is usually built into the machinig costs.
    My 2 cents anyway.

Mike

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

At the minimum, you should supply a 3D part model and a drawing designating hole finishes and all tolerances. Eveyone wants to think you do not need a drawing if you have a solid model for some strange reason. Maybe they are just two pid.

Downloads
    Uploads

hei'ya Kreative, look at SW help/tutorials for first parts/drawings and maybe advanced drawings, for an appropriate example to yours, the more complete and clear a drawing and information to a production source the better, if not you will called for decision/clarification at every operation that is ambiguous, g-code, processes,tooling etc. shouldn't be your problem, but a good chat with their "production engineer" generally clears up most hic ups - good luck :rainfro::rainfro::rainfro: kelef

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mike, txcncman and kelef, much appreciated for your time and advice. Really cool guys thank you

So I gather that if I export the drawing work in IGES format, detail list of tolerances, the finishes and materials needed, the manufacturer won't think I'm (entirely) coming from planet non-sense.

That's a good start. Thanks again guys

I'm hoping to crack on a first visit or two in a few weeks, or after additional training on the subject. I will report and share how things went.

(Looking at rapid prototyping options at the minute. Nothing seems to be cheap these days huh.........)

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Generally, the quote process involves sending prospective shops a PDF version of the drawing, not a 3D model. This is for several reasons.

First, the person who will be doing the quoting needs to know the material, tolerances, heat treat, plating, GD&T and other specific details that cannot be included in the 3D model. There are big differences in price between +/-.01" and +/-.001". Make sure all relevant info is included on the drawing. Surface finish, sharp edges/burrs, flatness, units of measure (inch/mm). Drawings are busy little documents because nothing can be assumed. Everything should be explicitly stated as it all affects the price.

Second, a PDF is more easily transmitted via email than a (potentially) huge 3D solid model. No unique software is needed these days to view a PDF. Compatibility is pretty universal. The person doing the quote may or may not have access to the company CAD/CAM in order to open a 3D model.

Third, the guy doing the quote doesn't care about the specific way you created the 3D model (sketches, extrudes, sweeps, etc.). He just needs to know how much to quote the job for.

Once you get your quotes back and decide who will get the job, you can then ask them what format they want the CAD geometry in. Some companies may be old school and still work from 2D DWG/DXF files. Others might want generic 3D like IGES, STL, STP. Some places may want your original source Solidworks design file. Not everyone works the same way so ask them what they prefer.

The manufacturer will generate all necessary codes to run his machines. Each shop will want to make the part their own way based on their knowledge, experience, and equipment. You might think the part has to be made a certain way but the machinist might have a better approach, or at least one that works better for him.

If the programming and fixturing is a significant portion of the initial cost, you may consider having them break the quote into an NRE (non recurring engineering) charge and the actual cost per part. Thus, the shop might charge $X to tool up and program and then charge $Y per part. Future orders will only incur the $Y per part charge. If going this route, make sure of who owns the fixturing/tooling after paying the NRE in case you want to have some one else run the parts later. Calling up the shop to announce you're sending the work elsewhere and requesting the tooling can rile some people up quickly.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Capris, thanks for the good advice. PDF it will be then, excellent advice mate. I've just realised from some Adobe ref that you can actually export a drawing in 3D PDF format. Very interesting....

Never crossed my mind that I could break a quote in NRE. Absolutely brilliant advice again.

This is all good news and I want to say a big thanks to all who've taken the time to drop a few lines. Very nice and much appreciated guys

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How to outsource SolidWorks drawings to Manufacturers

Quote Originally Posted by Kreative View Post
    Hey all, I'm new around and still absorbing basic information RE machining with CNC. I do however have a great deal in drawing.

My big question is what are the standard handover process(es) involved when outsourcing. Would a modeler/designer need to prep the Gcode him/herself or should be expecting a manufacturer to offer this service for a cost, or for free perhaps? What else would I need to prepare for the manufacturer. We are talking about an aluminum based Performance Motorcycle part (racing) in this context.

How does these things normally works in a "few words (please)"

All the best to everybody!

There are many critical things need to be considered during outsourcing, the different situations you could be in,

You have an existing 2D drawing or physical prototype that just needs to be transferred into 3D using SolidWorks. For that you can hire a professional person.
    If you have a concept and need an initial conceptual solid model made to start refining your design through analysis, prototyping, 3D printing, etc.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I build a model, assembly. drawing, and pdf. What ever "they" want. Although in my case we do it here. Being the cad guy and the prog works. If you were sending me something to look at, I would prefer a solid model and a pdf. PDF holds the info but the model lets me cam it and find some rough numbers

- - - Updated - - -

If it is more then one part. I would like an assembly pdf

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

In Solid works once you finish your 3d model you have the options tab to create your 2d drawing from that same part, here is where you would list all your dimensions, tolerances, material, finish, notes,... etc. Saved as a PDF is all the manufacture really needs. The only reason I can see needing a 3d file is for illustration purposes, if the part is super complex, or if you were not able to provide all the dimensions... if you created the part dimensions shouldn't be a problem.

www.socalprecisionengineering.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    At the minimum, you should supply a 3D part model and a drawing designating hole finishes and all tolerances. Eveyone wants to think you do not need a drawing if you have a solid model for some strange reason. Maybe they are just two pid.
    Very well put. The need for tolerance's, hole call outs,material specs, surface finish, etc are all things that will be required to quote your job properly, not to mention to engineer it properly.

Your drawings will be made form your model anyways if your on SW, so a model should be provided always as well....but the drawings are just as important.

So, a solid model (which will be needed to actually program the cnc) and all the drawings and specs for the part in the model will be all any shop will ever need from you to make anything.

But i'm sure you've figured it out in the past 4 years.........