Need Help! How to chamfer the bottom?

Thread: How to chamfer the bottom?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default How to chamfer the bottom?

I'm thinking about making an Eureka cutter relieving tool.
    Several parts are cut from steel plate in thicknesses from 3/8" to 1/2" and are curvy, hardly any straight sections. I have some plans from Grab-cad but they are metric and I prefer to use imperial so I'm drawing them in SW.
    That's all fine and fun, along with generating the code in SC. The drawing I have show a small, .008", chamfer along the edges. Okay, no problem for the top side.
    Now comes the problem. How do I flip the part over and program the chamfer cuts for the other side?
    The parts have at least one hole and some other feature that I could probe to, but I'm stuck as how to use that info.
    My probes seem accurate to 0.0003" and I think if I could match the SW model to the probed points I'd be within .001", but I can't quite figure the exact "How to".
    Ozzie

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How to chamfer the bottom? One answer?

One answer.
    Sleeping on the problem gave me one accurate way to do it, though expensive for a retired hobby machinist.
    1. Turn the model over in SC.
    2. Define the stock as the same size as a piece of aluminum clamped to the milling machine table.
    3. Set the origin in SC at the corner of the stock!
    4. Mill a pocket that matches the profile of the part.
    5. Then clamp the part in the pocket, program and mill the chamfer.

The results should be very accurate, at least matching the accuracy of the machine.
    Any comments, other ideas ????
    Ozzie

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How to chamfer the bottom?

The part you are making might not allow for this but,You could put some tooling holes in your part for location when you turn it over.Tooling holes are dowel holes that you bore all the way through your part in known positions and are then put into a slave plate fixed on the machine table so when your part is turned over you can locate it on the dowels and accurately position your part for machining.