Lead in lead out problem

Thread: Lead in lead out problem

Default Lead in lead out problem

I have noticed a problem in the profile tool path with lead in and lead out while using the clear offset option . The lead in only works on the first entry and the subsequent cuts it just enters directly on the material itself and not following the lead in and lead out ! Does anyone notice it ?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Sure did.

I don't know if it is a 'bug', or just the way clear offset option works. One one around this is by extending your geometry your self so no lead in is needed. In a Profile opertion, you can find the 'modify geometry' button where you select left, right or center cutter comp. A window will appear witch allow you to modify the start and end point of each chain in your contour. This is also were you can change the lead in/out position of a closed contour if needed.

Right but it will work only with open chains . Can't move the close chain at all

Downloads
    Uploads

It would help if you told us the year and service pack you are running.

I am working in solidcam 2013 SP5 HF2

Downloads
    Uploads

We are not aware of any issues with 2013 SP5 HF2 . I am not able to do what you describe as well. I tried a closed chain and a self-intersecting profile. The links work on the first pass of both rough and finish but NOT every pass. Here is a video that describes the link feature.

Downloads
    Uploads

I also have similar issues but with 3D Milling / finishing operation, same SC release
    But I'm also a new SC user so I cannot tell you for sure if is SC or me but I suppose it's a bug somewhere...

In my case I fix the problem by splitting operation to more, each one with it's surface

HTM.Ro - Hobby Tools Manufacturing

Downloads
    Uploads

as I told you before, I'm new user of SC but this release, at least, seems to have a lot of bugs

the tool are moving through the restricted surface, the pictured case is a small one
    the toolpath is created different after each SW/SC restart, sometime worst than pictured, sometime better but almost never like expected
    sometime the operation is not calculated and I have to restart SW/SC

Lead in lead out problem-sc1-jpg
    Lead in lead out problem-sc2-jpg
    Lead in lead out problem-sc3-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Turn on gouge checking. Make sure you have the tool tip option checked.

Downloads
    Uploads

thanks for the advice, I'll check later
    regards

Downloads
    Uploads

it seems the gouge checking is not available for 3D Milling operation...

Try the combinations of imachining 3D and HSS .

Downloads
    Uploads

thanks for the tip but I switched back to SC 2012

Downloads
    Uploads

Going back the offset issue of the toolpath only using the leadout on the first bit and then on the final bit. The solution is make sure the 'zig zag' option is unchecked. This will then lead in and lead out on each offset. After each offset the Z axis will lift up to whatever your setting is and then move to the 'lead in' point of the next offset and away it goes.

If 'zig zag' is checked, the tool leads in and then only goes to the end of the 'virtual' chain and then takes a direct path to the start of the next offset, and so on. Faster and works ok, but in my case the surface finish, toolpaths etc are a big consideration on my products, so in many cases I use extra sketches to make sure the toolpath is as I want it.

This takes time of course, but half of CNC machining is about making the parts look just like you want them to look, and in my opinion that includes the machining marks.

Solidcam allows you to take control!! :-)

What you explained will only work on a open chain . Try out a closed chain then you will see the issue
    Iagain .

Let's say I have a rectangular part and 2 mm stock around it and I want to machine it 0.5 mm every pass with a smooth lead in and lead out

Default Re: Lead in lead out problem

The lead in lead out issue has been fixed in solidcam 2014 Sp2 . A big thank you to solid cam