Solidcam and centroid !

Thread: Solidcam and centroid !

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Solidcam and centroid !

Hi all

I'm new here and a little stuck and green around the edges when it comes to CNC!

I'm a bit of a computer expert with a little knowledge of engineering; was an apprentice tool maker some 20 odd years ago. I have a friend who has asked me to help him with his Centroid controlled 3 axis mill. He really knows Solidworks and has recently invested in Solidcam.

Here's the issue, there is no CNC-Controller listed for a Centroid controller (in solidcam)!

I've looked at the program files and I need a .GPP & .MAC files for this controller. Do I need to write these files myself? or does anyone have the files they can send me!

Many thanks
    Mark

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you do not want to spend Euros to get a post for this Centroid then what you should do is take one the default combinations (in the GppToool directory) of mac and gpp and generate some g-code and see how close it is to what you need. From there you will need to go into the mac and gpp files and make the necessary changes. There are instructions and samples if with SolidCAM open you click on Help/SolidCAM Help Topics/GppTool

This tweaking of post processors is not to difficult for simple stuff but can get fairly complex as you start getting beyond the basics of driving your machine toool. I would consider the basics of driving the machine tool to be setting coordinate systems, turning spindle on/off, making rapid moves, turning on/off tool length compensation, turning on/off cutter compensation, 2 and 3 axis profiling/contouring/pocketing, using drilling/boring/tapping cycles, simple subprograms, moving to home when done, and so on. From a post processor standpoint when you get to complex subprograms, 4/5 rotational/indexial, simultaneous, and so on it can become difficult and very time consuming.

If you don't want to mess with any of this in most places you can hire your reseller or SolidCAM to do it for you.

This was covered in more detail in another thread "What controller do I use, is FUNUC defaut?"

Quote Originally Posted by mark344 View Post
    Hi all

I'm new here and a little stuck and green around the edges when it comes to CNC!

I'm a bit of a computer expert with a little knowledge of engineering; was an apprentice tool maker some 20 odd years ago. I have a friend who has asked me to help him with his Centroid controlled 3 axis mill. He really knows Solidworks and has recently invested in Solidcam.

Here's the issue, there is no CNC-Controller listed for a Centroid controller (in solidcam)!

I've looked at the program files and I need a .GPP & .MAC files for this controller. Do I need to write these files myself? or does anyone have the files they can send me!

Many thanks
    Mark

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Adam

I've now got a hold of the Centroid Operators Manual, and as you said, I'm currently editing the MAC & GPP files myself. Interesting to note that the FANUC files are real close but there are some major differences!!!

We set a part up (with generated G-Code) Using the FANUC files and the mill went haywire, cutting all over the place!!! We did set the 'Z' level much higher so no damage was caused as the mill just went through the motions way above the stock.

Just incase anyone else runs into this problem I've noticed that the FANUC G-Codes G18 & G19 are wrong way round for the Centroid.

We changed this code (in the GPP file) and everything ran fine. There are a few other tweak required as well.

Thanks again for your reply.

Cheers
    Mark

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Solidcam Centroid MAC & GPP Files

Dear Forum,

I am new to CNC and recently we are retrofitting our Matsuura VMC with Centroid M39 Controller.

I am evaluating SolidCAM and want a post-processor for Centroid M39 Controller, if any guys have the MAC & GPP file, please do email me.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Rizwan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I work for SolidCAM postprocessor.
    Please contact if you need it?
    greeting

solidcamx
    solidcamx@gmail.com