How to handle stock and zero Z-Point?

Thread: How to handle stock and zero Z-Point?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default How to handle stock and zero Z-Point?

Hi

Im quite new to solidcam but not to solidworks.
    I have a CNC-Milling machine with Mach3 and the prorpiate postprocessor in solidcam.

Now i have some basic but important questions.

1. I define a stock material in solidcam.
    I also define a coordinate system for the model which i want to mill out of the stock.

On the machine, i place my probe on top of the stock. Then i start to probe the cutter and get the surface of the stock as Z = 0.
    But Solidcam expects the surface of the model to be Z = 0. So i would have to manually calculate the distance from stock top and model top and define Z as this so that the machine will start inside the stock.
    But this is not very comfortable.

What would be the correct way to handle this?

Attached are some pictures to illustrate my problems.

Thanks

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to handle stock and zero Z-Point?-jpg   How to handle stock and zero Z-Point?-b-png   How to handle stock and zero Z-Point?-c-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How to handle stock and zero Z-Point?

I wouldn't recommend using the final part as the coordinate system. If your fixturing is repeatable/reused, I would model your fixtures, and use a common point on them as your reference system. If you can't rely on the fixture to be in the same spot and want to probe the stock each time, model the stock in solidworks as another configuration of the part, and use that to select the coordinate system in solidcam. I always model the stock either way because an extruded box doesn't take very long to model.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How to handle stock and zero Z-Point?

I agree with c9k. Creating a solid model in SolidWorks and then setting that as your 3D Stock model is a good way to set the stock if you having issues with getting your levels right. The other way would be to set the Coordsys so that it points in the general directions you need it to, create a Box Stock definition and then clicking on the button that says "Add Box to CAD model". This will add a 3D sketch that represents the outside edges of your stock and gives you vertices that can be used to relocate your Coordsys. After the Box definition, return to the Coordsys screen and edit MAC1-1 so that you can reselect that same top surface or your target but then select "Pick Origin" to move the Z=0 to a vertex on the top of the stock.

If you need any help with this you can always call your local SolidCAM Tech support office and they can enter into a GOTOMeeting with you to show you how to do all of the above.