Need Help! Making a cutout

Thread: Making a cutout

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Making a cutout

Hello, I'm trying to figure out how to make a pocket in solidcam, that instead of being completely milled away would simply be cut off by the mill (it is a through-all pocket). Ive tried using the profile operation, which does exactly what I need but it only seems to work on the outside of the part. All I need to do pretty much is to make the mill follow the contour with some offset.
    Any ideas?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Making a cutout

Profile is the correct operation. Make sure to pay attention when you select the geometry- with climb milling the tool is going to follow the line on the left, traveling the direction of the arrow. If you have the direction reversed, it will follow the outside instead of the inside.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by c9k View Post
    Profile is the correct operation. Make sure to pay attention when you select the geometry- with climb milling the tool is going to follow the line on the left, traveling the direction of the arrow. If you have the direction reversed, it will follow the outside instead of the inside.
    Oh, right, I didn't notice that! I thought that the tool path was blank, while it actually was just inside the part. Thanks a lot!

Downloads
    Uploads

We have added a bunch of new training videos on our toolpaths to our YouTube Channel. Here is the one for Profile:

If you ever need any other help please feel free to contact us.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The operation you want to use is the 2D Profile. This will allow you to cut the inside or the outside any profile, without having to remove any material from the pocket.